Seeking advice on publication - "Why, Oh God, Why?"

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
      Dear members

      This is slightly off topic, but pertinent to the cause of recognising Polish
      martyrdom during the war - and you may be able to provide some advice.

      Surfing references to Roman Umiastowski (recently cited by member Roman
      Skulski) I have just stumbled upon Jerry Klinger's manuscript for "Why, Oh
      God, Why?".
      http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/whytoc.html or
      http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/Why.pdf for the Acrobat version.

      This gripping story is based on the diaries of Halina Gorewicz, a young girl
      of mixed Polish-Jewish parentage who survived as a fighter in both the
      Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as a member of the 'Zydowska Organizacja Bojowa'
      (Jewish Militant Organisation) and the Warsaw Uprising as a member of the
      'Armia Krajowa' (Home Army).

      Presenting a balanced story of Jewish and Polish heroism and suffering at
      German hands, THIS is the story that the movie 'Uprising' should have been
      based on.

      Do any of you have any advice for Jerry on how to get this published (or
      turned into a movie)?

      Stefan Wisniowski

      ----------
      > From: Jerry <jerry@...>
      > Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:11:14 +0800
      > To: Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@...>
      > Subject: Re: Why, Oh God, Why
      >
      > At 03:17 03/12/02 +1100, you wrote:
      >
      >> Jerzy
      >> Thank you for your translation of Why, Oh God, Why by Halina Gorcewicz.
      >>
      >> Has this been published?
      >
      > And thank you for the thank-you! :-)
      > Despite strenuous efforts over a long period it has failed to find a
      > publisher. The usual brush-off has been that there are many books already
      > published on this subject. I have never been able to make any publisher
      > see how very different this book is...
      >
      > Jerry
    • Paul Havers
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
        How about if he contacts the Polish publishers in Hove,
        they might be able to help
        Polish Cultural Foundation, 23 Coleridge Street, Hove, Sussex BN3 5AB, UK

        Paul

        At 23:36 12/03/2002 +1100, you wrote:
        Dear members

        This is slightly off topic, but pertinent to the cause of recognising Polish
        martyrdom during the war - and you may be able to provide some advice.

        Surfing references to Roman Umiastowski (recently cited by member Roman
        Skulski) I have just stumbled upon Jerry Klinger's manuscript for "Why, Oh
        God, Why?".
        http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/whytoc.html or
        http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/Why.pdf for the Acrobat version.

        This gripping story is based on the diaries of Halina Gorewicz, a young girl
        of mixed Polish-Jewish parentage who survived as a fighter in both the
        Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as a member of the 'Zydowska Organizacja Bojowa'
        (Jewish Militant Organisation) and the Warsaw Uprising as a member of the
        'Armia Krajowa'  (Home Army).

        Presenting a balanced story of Jewish and Polish heroism and suffering at
        German hands, THIS is the story that the movie 'Uprising' should have been
        based on.

        Do any of you have any advice for Jerry on how to get this published (or
        turned into a movie)?

        Stefan Wisniowski

        ----------
        > From: Jerry <jerry@...>
        > Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:11:14 +0800
        > To: Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@...>
        > Subject: Re: Why, Oh God, Why
        >
        > At 03:17 03/12/02 +1100, you wrote:
        >
        >> Jerzy
        >> Thank you for your translation of Why, Oh God, Why by Halina Gorcewicz.
        >>
        >> Has this been published?
        >
        > And thank you for the thank-you! :-)
        > Despite strenuous efforts over a long period it has failed to find a
        > publisher.  The usual brush-off has been that there are many books already
        > published on this subject.  I have never been able to make any publisher
        > see how very different this book is...
        >
        > Jerry

        Home page;   www.paulhavers.co.uk
        Eastern Borderlands of II RP;
          www.kresy.co.uk
        Checked by Norton Anti Virus 2003
      • Linder Ladbrooke
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
          Hi Stefan,
          What about contacting 'The Little Big Picture Co' in London??? They put The
          Polish Odyssey together and got it on the History Channel..[cable TV] ask
          Jadwiga how she did it?
          Linder
          This is slightly off topic, but pertinent to the cause of recognising Polish
          martyrdom during the war - and you may be able to provide some advice.

          Surfing references to Roman Umiastowski (recently cited by member Roman
          Skulski) I have just stumbled upon Jerry Klinger's manuscript for "Why, Oh
          God, Why?".
          http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/whytoc.html or
          http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/Why.pdf for the Acrobat version.

          This gripping story is based on the diaries of Halina Gorewicz, a young girl
          of mixed Polish-Jewish parentage who survived as a fighter in both the
          Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as a member of the 'Zydowska Organizacja Bojowa'
          (Jewish Militant Organisation) and the Warsaw Uprising as a member of the
          'Armia Krajowa' (Home Army).

          Presenting a balanced story of Jewish and Polish heroism and suffering at
          German hands, THIS is the story that the movie 'Uprising' should have been
          based on.

          Do any of you have any advice for Jerry on how to get this published (or
          turned into a movie)?

          Stefan Wisniowski

          ----------
          > From: Jerry <jerry@...>
          > Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:11:14 +0800
          > To: Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@...>
          > Subject: Re: Why, Oh God, Why
          >
          > At 03:17 03/12/02 +1100, you wrote:
          >
          >> Jerzy
          >> Thank you for your translation of Why, Oh God, Why by Halina Gorcewicz.
          >>
          >> Has this been published?
          >
          > And thank you for the thank-you! :-)
          > Despite strenuous efforts over a long period it has failed to find a
          > publisher. The usual brush-off has been that there are many books already
          > published on this subject. I have never been able to make any publisher
          > see how very different this book is...
          >
          > Jerry

          **
          * Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
          * Send e-mails to: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
          **
          * To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
          * and your interest in the group to:
          * Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com
        • John Nieurzyla
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            Stefan
            I would be very surprised if this was taken up by any film company, as
            it contains the truth, and does not put either the Russians or Germans
            in a goodlight, and the Americans will completely change the story to
            make it unrecognisable (look at the lies and mess they made of Enigma)
            it is very sad that the truth will not be broadcast for all to see.

            Politics pollutes and denigrates the truth everytime, therefore making
            the innocents suffer even more. But God willing these stories must be
            kept alive and available for those that search for the truth.

            I will never know if I could survive such trauma, I only pray that I
            could if I was ever in such a position.

            John

            Stefan Wisniowski wrote:

            > Dear members
            >
            > This is slightly off topic, but pertinent to the cause of recognising Polish
            > martyrdom during the war - and you may be able to provide some advice.
            >
            > Surfing references to Roman Umiastowski (recently cited by member Roman
            > Skulski) I have just stumbled upon Jerry Klinger's manuscript for "Why, Oh
            > God, Why?".
            > http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/whytoc.html or
            > http://www.treko.net.au/~jerry/why/Why.pdf for the Acrobat version.
            >
            > This gripping story is based on the diaries of Halina Gorewicz, a young girl
            > of mixed Polish-Jewish parentage who survived as a fighter in both the
            > Warsaw Ghetto Uprising as a member of the 'Zydowska Organizacja Bojowa'
            > (Jewish Militant Organisation) and the Warsaw Uprising as a member of the
            > 'Armia Krajowa' (Home Army).
            >
            > Presenting a balanced story of Jewish and Polish heroism and suffering at
            > German hands, THIS is the story that the movie 'Uprising' should have been
            > based on.
            >
            > Do any of you have any advice for Jerry on how to get this published (or
            > turned into a movie)?
            >
            > Stefan Wisniowski
            >
            > ----------
            > > From: Jerry <jerry@...>
            > > Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:11:14 +0800
            > > To: Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@...>
            > > Subject: Re: Why, Oh God, Why
            > >
            > > At 03:17 03/12/02 +1100, you wrote:
            > >
            > >> Jerzy
            > >> Thank you for your translation of Why, Oh God, Why by Halina Gorcewicz.
            > >>
            > >> Has this been published?
            > >
            > > And thank you for the thank-you! :-)
            > > Despite strenuous efforts over a long period it has failed to find a
            > > publisher. The usual brush-off has been that there are many books already
            > > published on this subject. I have never been able to make any publisher
            > > see how very different this book is...
            > >
            > > Jerry

            > **
            > * Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
            > * Send e-mails to: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
            > **
            > * To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
            > * and your interest in the group to:
            > * Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

            Best wishes
            John Nieurzyla
            Whitley Bay - UK
            ----------------

            Our next Family Reunion in Poland - 8 August 2003

            Will you be there?

            ****************
            Looking for any Nieurzyla's, Nieucyla or Nieuzyla's in the world,

            & the birth of Robert Dodds, a tailor born in Newcastle, NBL abt 1852,
            his father was a joiner also called Robert Dodds.

            *********************

            I use Archive CD Books to help with my family history research

            http://WWW.Archivecdbooks.org
            *****************************
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
              Thanks John,

              One would hope that there was a possibility within Poland to share these
              stories, as they rediscover the truths that were kept away from them by the
              communist government for 50 years. Perhaps by the IPN (National Institute
              for Remembrance)?

              Jerry, is there also a Polish version of this, or have the diaries been left
              in their original form...?

              Stefan

              > From: John Nieurzyla <j.nieurzyla@...>
              > ...it is very sad that the truth will not be broadcast for all to see.
            • S & J Szybalski
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                Letter written to Jerry klinger was returned.

                Stanislaw Szybalski

              • jagna8@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
                  I feel very sympathetic about Jerry's plight, but unfortunately can't give any realistic advice. For the past eight months I have been trying to help publish two very gripping
                  memoirs of Poles of Jewish origin, one survivor in Germany occupied Poland, another in Lvov. Both are well written and present the events with remarkable objectivity - but unfortunately all three publishing houses, plus a publishing agent turned them down on the grounds that 'there is oversaturation of the market with the Holocaust literature'.
                  This seems to me a somewhat specious argument, for, if anything, in England, memoirs of the Holocaust survivors are printed non stop. I suppose the only advice I can offer is dogged perseverance, which eventually may bring positive results. Stefan Waydenfeld, a Siberian survivor, had his 'Ice Road" printed after a year of weekly writing to different publishers - he was determined not to give up, and eventually it paid off. Similarly, 'A Forgotten Odyssey' has been shown on the History Channel after three, increasingly passionate and angry letters. BBC, and other British terrestial channels, despite an extensive correspondence, still decline to show the film. I am afraid getting anywhere with a Polish subject (especially giving a positive perspective) is a very tedious thing nowadays, and you need to be virtually obsessed
                  to obtain any results...
                  Sorry I can't say anything more positive. Good luck, Jagna