Re: [Kresy-Siberia] A wonderful surprise!

  • Anne Kaczanowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      This is not off topic at all.  I share in your excitement and for Diane.  I remember after my initial prodding of family members in Poland, who took all this for granted ...and really weren't that interested.... where someone finally went to see if there indeed was a grave for my grandfather.  Under years of tangled weeds and overgrowth a beautiful headstone was found. A headstone with his birth and death which were unknown to any of us.  It was cleaned up and candles lit and I felt as though we had finally made a connection with a grandfather none of us had a chance to know. When I finally was able to make a trip to Poland I left my mark on his grave from his Canadian family.  The very sad thing about this is when you are so far away from Poland, all you have is the stories.  There is nothing tangible...just the stories.  But when something like this is found, or a photo, or anything remotely connected, you feel like you were meant to find
      it. I still love the saying from the film "Everything Is Illuminated", when something is found.   "It doesn't exist for you...you exist for it."....as you could have taken pictures of any headstone...but you got this one.  How exciting!

      hania