Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Soviet camp - Kostousovo

  • Stefan Jackowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Ted,

      Yes, that was my dad.

      In fact, I had very recently e-mailed you after seeing your recent post regarding Heliopolis.

      A quick, recent story .. On November 9, 2008, I attended Mass at St. Stanislaw,
      here in Toronto, and walked with a procession to City Hall, where a short but moving
      commemoration of Polish Independence - and the contribution of both Polish and
      Canadian veterans to the war effort - was held. Replete of course with bands of marching Polish-Canadian Boy Scouts and the usual dignitaries. After the ceremony, I was kindly
      invited to the Polish Combatants Hall on Beverly Street. In the lobby there, I approached
      the gentleman who had spoken at the ceremony on behalf of the Canadian-Polish
      Congress, and asked for his support in publicizing the deadline for Kresy land claims.
      He took a keen and sincere interest, and asked my about my background. Well,
      what do you know ..!!, it just so happened that I had with me the binder I work on
      re:the Polish side of our family history. .. After seeing a copy of dad's war service record,
      I was quickly introduced to a Polish veteran who is a local expert on such things.
      I "suspect" that you have heard of a Pan Jan Gasztold, President of the Polish-
      Canadian Air Force Association. After skimming through dads service record, he
      turned to me and asked me how I had liked growing up in Labrador. A thunderbolt!!
      Jan had known dad well, and assured me the Polish Air Cadets from Heliopolis were
      "closer than brothers", and had stayed in touch for 65 years. One week later, I
      visited Jan at his home at his kind invitation, and have agreed to assist him with
      with the work that he is so clearly devoted to. He lent me a copy of the Polish book,
      "Blekitni Chlopcy-Gimnazium i Liceum Lotnicze - Heliopolis Egipt 1943-1946", and has
      promised to give me my own copy shortly. I see that you are listed in this book on
      page 168, ... that's my dad on page 165.

      At Jan's kind invitation, I have applied for membership in the Polish-Canadian Air Force
      Association on dad's behalf, and will attend the oplatek in Toronto in early January,
      2009. In the event that you too can make it, I very truly look forward to meeting you.
      Dad would have been thrilled.

      Very warmest regards,

      Stefan Jackowski