Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Repatriation article

  • Fran Biber
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2002
      Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Repatriation article
      I have 2 cousins and their grown up children with families who were repatriated from Kazachstan to Poland after the break up of the Soviet Union. As Barb K said they were supplied with assistance in Poland with a house (with furniture and kitchen crockery, cutlery etc.-all basics that were needed in a house) and jobs and language classes. One daughter has since completed university and is now a medical doctor.They had to apply in Kazachstan and go through a process to be accepted. An older cousin was rejected on the grounds that he was too close to retirement age and there was not a reciprocal pension arrangement between Poland and Kazachstan.
      I remember when Kazachstan broke away from the Soviet Union there was, (in Australia) a call for donations in Tygodnik Polski to help the Polish people who were trapped there all those years. I believe this money went towards repatriation of Polish people back to their homeland.

      Fran Biber

      I understand that repatriation from the former USSR has been very difficult to arrange, both from a practical point of view and from a Polish government policy point of view (I do not believe that Polish descendants in there foreign lands have any "right of return" to Poland like all Jews do to "return" to Israel...)

      Stefan Wisniowski

      I wonder how one qualifies for repatriation????
      Barb K

      **
      *  Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
      *  Send e-mails to:  Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      **
      *  To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
      *  and your interest in the group to:
      *      Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com