food for thought

  • alexandraweldon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
      Given Putin's recent accusations of Ukraine support in the recent
      conflict with Georgia, "when people and military systems are used to
      kill Russian soldiers, it's a crime" Putin told reporters after meeting
      with Ukrainian Prime Minister Tymoshenko on Thursday. This is even
      more thought provoking, and frightening:

      http://www.unian.net/eng/news/news-276590.html

      Sorry if this is off topic!

      Alex.
      U.S.
    • Carol Dove
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        Alex and Group,

        I think this pertains highly to our group. After all do we not stand for the truth and having our families history being brought to light. Here is another artical, Flirting with Stalin, http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10356%c2%a0and it covers how this new teaching edition came to be. Thank you for posting.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
          Hello and I hope I'm not off topic in voicing my thoughts. It seemed
          ironic, in an earlier Washington Post article, when Medvedev told
          interviewers "over and over" that Georgian forces were guilty
          of "genocide" in Southern Ossetia for the reason that Russian history
          continues to bury its inconvenient truths about the targeted deaths
          of Poles during and after World War II - the twenty-two thousand
          Poles shot in mass graves at Katyn and the two million Poles who lost
          their lives in the Soviet Union from forced labour, disease, cold and
          starvation.
          When I read that Russia's newly implemented education program
          misrepresents Katyn to its schoolchildren, I feel dismay that, at a
          time when recognizing the past would help this nation move forward,
          such mass murders remain on the sidelines of Soviet history, with no
          one being brought to trial for these war crimes.

          Jenny (a Canadian whose government has formally apologized for its
          treatment of First Nations people and to the Japanese who were
          interred here during WWII)