New To Group/Seeking Info on Grandparents

  • hazelnutcns
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008
      Hi, I am new to this group and after reading through some of the
      posts, my grandparents stories seem similar. I am trying to fill in
      some missing pieces of their lives and am hoping that someone can
      help. Everywhere I search seems to be a dead end. In the end, I
      also hope that my searching will help me to find other relatives that
      my grandparents left behind, of course not by choice. I apologize
      that the following is so long. Here's what I know of my family's
      story...
      am looking for information on my maternal grandparents. My
      grandmother was Jozefa Zaleska Leszkiewicz. She was born in 1909 in
      St. Olkieniki p. Wilno, Poland. Her mother's name was Helena Szuma
      (or Szumska) who was married to Paul (Hipolit?) Zaleski. They had
      three other children Antoni, Marysia and Stefani. From what I can
      tell, my grandmother married my grandfather Michal Leszkiewicz (born
      around 1904 - father's name Boleslaw and mother I think Monika) on
      June 12, 1934 in Grodno. My grandfather was a member of the Polish
      Army and was "arrested" according to a record from Karta from 1939-
      1941 in Bialoruso. I have no idea where he was taken. Notlong after
      he was taken away my grandmother and her children were taken to a
      labor camp in Siberia. Eventually she left Siberia was reunited with
      my grandfather somewhere and then ended up in a camp in Massindi,
      Africa (where my mother was born). I can remember my grandmother
      mentioning traveling through Persia, Iran and places like that prior
      to getting to Africa. My mother was born in 1943 in Massindi,
      Africa. In 1948 they left Africa and went to a camp called Lowther
      Park in Penrith, England where they stayed until 1956, when they came
      to America. My great-grandfather Paul Zaleski came to America around
      1912 and was supposed to send for the rest of the family but never
      did. My great-grandmother Helena Szuma (or Szumska) Zaleska died
      somewhere in Poland in the 1960s or 1970s. She may have been living
      with one of her children at the time. Other places that have been
      mentioned are Vilnius, Marcinkance, Wilna, Bialystok, Marcinkance. My
      grandmother also mentioned there was a time after my great-
      grandfather left for America that they family wasn't doing well and
      their mother had to put the kids in an orphanage for awhile. During
      that time my grandmother was sent to work for Jewish families in
      Russia on their farms. She eventually ran away and found her way back
      to her mother. If anyone has any information or has any ideas of
      where I can look for further information, I would greatly appreciate
      it!

      Thank you!