Re: Osady in Kresy lists

  • Lonia Sarniak
    Message 1 of 39 , May 4, 2008
      Hi Elzunia,

      Sorry about the delay in responding. Mum hasn't been well so it's
      rather difficult for me to get to the computer at times.

      Yes, we are in contact with some of my grandmother's family,
      wonderfully they found us about 40 years ago. My grandmother's maiden
      name was Leontyna [Lonia] Sobolewska and she had two brothers named
      Feliks and Antoni. Mum thinks there may have been a sister or two but
      she's not sure. A few weeks after the Soviet invasion, mum's family
      was forced off their land by Ukrainians and went to live with her
      Uncle Feliks and his family in nearby Tuczyn. Her Uncle Antoni, wife
      Jadwiga, and their children Czesiek, Stasiek, Aniela, Romka, Jasia,
      and Wladzia lived right across the road.

      On 10 Feb mum's family was taken to Kostopol station and sent to the
      Arkhangelsk region. Both parents and two of her three siblings died
      on the exodus south. The surviving brother joined the youth army in
      Egypt and was eventually re-settled in England. Unfortunately all
      contact was lost with the family in Tuczyn. But I still remember the
      day a policeman arrived at our door here in New Zealand with the
      amazing news that Antoni and Jadwiga, and their adult children were
      now in Ontario, Canada and had been searching for her family. It was
      just incredible, mum was overwhelmed.

      Then in 1976 the family brought mum over to Canada and she spent a
      couple of months with them in Oakville and Hamilton. I'm fairly
      certain that it was one of the happiest times of her life.

      We don't know what became of mum's Uncle Feliks and his family.

      Elzunia, I wasn't able to read your grandmother's name. Some of the
      letters came out as symbols [Pozna????ska]. What are the missing
      letters? I'll ask mum if she knows the name. Also, I could check
      with our family in Canada in case they may have some knowledge of your
      grandmother's family.

      Lonia Sarniak
      Wanganui
      NZ

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <elzunia@...> wrote:

      > My grandfather also married a local girl from Tuczyn, Stanislawa
      Poznańska born 1903. Are you in contact with any of your
      grandmother’s family from Tuczyn? We don’t know anything at all
      about grandmother’s family and would like to find them.

    • Lonia Sarniak
      Message 39 of 39 , May 18, 2008
        -
        Hi Elzunia,

        Yes, I have read Jadwiga Pleciak's story, also those by your mum and
        Bogdan Trybuchowski. The stories are great; a good insight into life
        on the Osada. I printed them out for mum to read. Jadwiga Pleciak's
        younger sister Zofia and very young brother Witold were among the
        children who came to NZ from Isfahan. Mum was also part of this group
        and was good friends with Zofia. In fact they were even in the same
        orphanage in Meshed. Amazingly, mum still has her autograph book from
        Meshed, and it includes an inscription from Zofia.

        I tried to show mum the photos but the link wouldn't work!! It worked
        ok earlier so I'll keep on trying.

        Yes, it does seem most likely that our mothers were on the same train.
        Mum is definite that her family was loaded at Kostopol station and she
        thinks they went through Lubomirka. But her recollection between
        arriving in Kotlas and ending up in Monastyriok is less clear, though
        it does seem probable that indeed our mums were in the same earlier
        camps. It's good that your mother had the foresight to keep a diary.
        I've read it several times now and found it very informative.

        It's amazing that your mother remembers my mum's family. I wonder,
        what does she remember about them? Any snippets at all would be
        wonderful to hear. If I'd asked mum about your mother's family some
        time ago it is possible she would have remembered them. But these
        days her memory isn't so good. She's had hydrocephalus for many years
        and this has been very debilitating for her. I've been full-time
        looking after her for 15 years now, since I was called back from
        Australia.

        If I ask mum specific questions she usually clams up and her response
        is "I don't remember". However, if my approach is more of a chat
        rather than an interrogation it's amazing what she is able to tell me.
        At times I feel that it is all too distressing for mum to
        remember, while at other times the fact that she can't remember also
        can make her quite upset. It has been quite some challenge to
        extricate her story and this is still ongoing.

        I'm wondering Elzunia if maybe your mum remembers mum's elder sister
        Romana [Romka]? She would have been your mother's age and died
        somewhere on the exodus south, either Uzbekistan or Persia.

        Lonia Sarniak
        Wanganui
        NZ

        -- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <elzunia@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lonia
        >
        > Have you read Jadwiga Pleciak’s story, translated by her son â€"
        it’s in the Files section on Yahoo, in the Wspomnienia file. It’s
        strange that your mum remembers Jadwiga (who was a good friend of my
        mother’s) but doesn’t remembers my mother.

        > Have you shown her my mother’s photos?
        >
        > http://gallery.kresy-siberia.org/album32
        >
        > Seeing as they lived so close, they must have been on the same train
        and as they both ended up in Monastyriok it seems logical that they
        went to the same camps on the way. My mum was at 2 other posiolki
        before Monastyriok; Kotowalsk and Stacja Molodych. The Kulik family
        took the same route.