Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: Poland wants Holocaust property restitution law by end of year

  • Carol Dove
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
      Poland wants Holocaust property restitution law by end of year
      Jerusalem Post, Israel - 2 hours ago
      Moreover, many of the areas populated by Jews ahead of WWII - the so-called Galicia region - are now located outside the boundaries of present-day Poland ...
      After years of delay, the Polish government aims to complete the issue of Holocaust property restitution by the end of the year, Polish Ambassador to Israel Agnieszka Magdziak-Miszewska said Sunday.
      The core of a bill, which was accepted by the Polish parliament in draft form two years ago, is ready, and the Polish government hopes to reach a resolution by the end of the year, she said in a briefing with Israeli journalists. The draft bill passed its initial reading in the previous parliament, but it needs to be reintroduced due to the recent change of government. The bill would pay 20 percent compensation to former property-owners - both Jewish and non-Jewish - whose property was seized during World War II. Polish officials estimate that the Jewish-owned private property makes up nearly 20% of all property taken. The biggest claimants are from non-Jewish Polish nobility whose assets - including lavish palaces - were confiscated. Moreover, many of the areas populated by Jews ahead of WWII - the so-called Galicia region - are now located outside the boundaries of present-day Poland and fall in Ukraine.
      Magdziak-Miszewska said it was important for Poland to finalize the agreement for both historical and economic reasons, since claimants who have taken their cases directly to Polish courts have been receiving 100% compensation for their property. "It is [both] moral justice and the real economic interest of Poland to end this issue," she said. Magdziak-Miszewska said the Polish government was currently considering whether to increase the amount of compensation it would offer. The total value of seized property is estimated to be around €16 billion-€18b. ($21b.-24b.), according to Polish groups working to attain the compensation. A 1997 agreement has already started the process of public property restitution in Poland. Magdziak-Miszewska's came ahead of next month's visit to Israel by Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk. The visit, which is the first such trip by a Polish premier in nearly nine years, comes as Israel plans its 60th anniversary and as burgeoning
      ties between Israel and Poland are now among the strongest in Europe. "We try to balance traditionally old Europe's one-sided Pro-Palestinian position," Magdziak-Miszewska said. "Both countries need each other." Tusk's visit also coincides with the inauguration of "Polish year" in Israel, an effort to increase cultural ties between the two countries. Magdziak-Miszewska said gaps still existed despite the excellent governmental relations between the two countries, and the ties between the two societies. To that end, a new youth exchange program will be launched between Israel and Poland next month, beyond the Holocaust education trips Israeli teens make to Poland each year. "We need to work for the future - remembering the Shoah, but also 1,000 years of coexistence," Magdziak-Miszewska said.
      http://tinyurl.com/32p5k8

      .AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; }

      Carol Dove <stashaok@...> wrote:
      Ron,

      Thats what people are finding out. Walter was in Poland and was able to look into it maybe he can give us an update? I personally have not heard of anyone who has completed the whole process from start to finish. With a deadline getting closer Dec. 2008 to get claims in, I would think some people would be hearing something. Has anyone heard of any updates on this?

      Carol

      o.com> wrote:
      Dear Carol,

      Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did see the forms. However, filling in the
      forms and receiving the compensation are two quite entirely different things ... as everyone is
      discovering!

      Romcio

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Carol Dove <stashaok@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > We have the compensation forms also in the files. If you seach the mail (messages type in
      "compensation") you will see alot of the conversations about this subject. This will get you up
      to date on what members have run into and some great suggestions that will help.