An answer to one question I have may have surfaced.

  • mhvrealtor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      I have come across a internet site that has a copy of a book THE U.S.
      ARMY IN THE OCCUPATION OF GERMAN 1944-1946 by Earl F. Ziemke, which
      gives information about WW2 and what was going on in Germany.

      Apparently my mother faced two problems. GI's were not supposed to
      hang with women in Germany, unless ofcourse them were Military Ladies.

      Now my mother may have been pretending she was German to get thru the
      war, maybe not. I don't know. When she decided to marry my father in
      1945-46, there was a push to send all Russians back to Russia. So to
      lie and say she was Polish would be the only way to get out of being
      sent back to Russia. Now how do I find the records to prove she was in
      Germany in the first place? Or rather how she got there is the first
      place?
    • John Halucha
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        If you haven't already, try: http://www.its-arolsen.org/en/service/downloads/tracing_request_forms/index.html
        ( http://tinyurl.com/ywf55d )
        I filled out the form and e-mailed it to email@... <email@...> and received an immediate acknowledgment that they had received my e-mail followed a few weeks later by a snail-mail letter with much of the information I was seeking about my late mother.

        John Halucha
        Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

        Now how do I find the records to prove she was in
        Germany in the first place? Or rather how she got there is the first
        place?

        __