Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Wesolych swiat

  • Krystyna Freiburger
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2007
      I would also like to extend my very best wishes to this wonderful group of people who continue to help me connect the missing links of my family's journey. I was able to share this joy with my family last night.
      As their matriarch now, I continue the Polish traditions that we grew up with...actually in my mothers writings I found a letter directed to me asking that I continue to gather the family for Wigilia (Christmas Eve) ...the most beautiful and important night for Poles.
      Even though our large family has many non Poles now, they all look forward to this wonderful night and the many wonderful foods my husband and I prepare...not everyone eats everything but they love to watch the rest of us eat with gusto such things as "sledzie" and 'kapusta z grzybami". My younger brother gave me the best compliment "this all tastes like mama's... .how did you learn to do that ?"
      However the most beautiful Wigilia tradition is the praying over, breaking and sharing of the "oplatek" with everyone in the family. I hope that this is one tradition my children and grandchildren will always keep in their lives.
      Today is a quieter day for rest and reflection as most of them have gone to celebrate Christmas Day in another beautiful Canadian way with the rest of their extended families.
      Wesolych Swiat....and I wish all of you many, many sunny days in 2008 discovering more and more about our families' journeys.....which all contribute to make us who we are !!!
      krystyna freiburger
      ontario, canada