My background

  • med4kmd
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello all.
      I am responding to your questions re: my background. As I
      mentioned, dad was born in Jamna, close to Jaremcza, in Stanislawow
      in what is now the Ukraine. His father was Jan Dupla, his mother,
      Katarzyna (Kazimiera) Bojkowska- Dupla. My pra-dziadek (great-
      grandfather) was Michel Dupla. I am from a long line of physicians,
      including all the men listed here. They were also land-owners
      (obviously 2 very terrible crimes under the Soviets). Somehow
      though, most of them survived the war. My grandmother's maiden name
      was Bojkowska, and she had 6-8 siblings. Most have died by now.
      I have never found anyone who was born in Jamna aside from dad.
      When I asked him straight-out what happened to all his school-
      friends he said "They all died." I feel so bad for him. Although he
      acts "cold", I am sure it is a protective mechanism. I still find it
      strange though, many of the things he has said over the years that I
      didnt understand I chalked up to a cultural difference (since I was
      born and raised in the US). But when I lived in Poland between 1995-
      2001, I could no longer justify these "cultural differences". As I
      find out more about my background and as I read more, I realized
      this was a particular psychology of the survivors of WW2. Also, the
      closer I look, the more I see subtle and not so subtle differences
      between adult WW2 survivors and children WW2 survivors. I am so
      intrigued by this that I am tempted to study/write about this with
      my sister who has a baccelaurate degree in psychology. I'd be very
      interested in other people's experiences concerning this.
      Thanks for listening.
      Kathy Diipla, M.D. (yes, it's been changed)
      Chicago, IL (presently held prisoner in medical residency in
      Davenport, IA)