RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Video: Meet the brave Poles who survived Siberian death camps

  • Elizabeth Olsson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
      We already have an album on the Gallery showing recipients of the
      Siberian Cross (I do still have some to upload)
      http://gallery.kresy-siberia.org/Siberian-Cross

      pozdrowienia
      Elzunia Olsson
      Sweden
      Gallery Administrator
      http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
        HI ELZUNIA:

        In case you'd be intersting in adding to the Group's
        Gallery the Siberian Award I received, I am sending
        via your private email, pictures of the Cross, the
        Legitemacja and the Ambassador's letter - all of which
        I put into shadow boxes.

        Unfortunately, I was unable to receive the Award
        personally in the Washington, DC Embassy as I was
        invited to since we had another important celebration
        scheduled for almost the same time - my husband's and
        my 50th wedding anniversary. So no newpaper
        headlines, not even a mention - but what is important
        to me, is that Poland recognized me as a Sybirak and
        awarded me the Cross!!! Though I must agree with many
        others - it was my Parents who deserved it much more
        so than I. Were it not for them and the care they
        enveloped me with throughout our ordeal and odyssey, I
        would not be here today to receive this Award.

        All the best
        BOZENA - Florida, USA

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Elizabeth Olsson
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
          Yes, evidence is needed and the application has to be approved first by
          your local Polish organisation, like SPK, who send them on to the
          Embassy/Consulate.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
            HI ELZUNIA:

            Not to be contradictory, but I didn't have my
            application approved by any Polish organization. I
            sent it directly to the Embassy in Washington, DC.

            Could it be that different countries have different
            requirements and time frame? Judging from all the
            correspondence on the subject, I received mine in an
            unbelievably short time!!!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Elizabeth Olsson
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
              Maybe it’s because there aren’t so many Poles in Florida!
              There are hundreds of thousands in the UK! The Embassy would be flooded!

              They had the Polish organisations do the initial checks on the
              applications, I know cos my Mum was responsible for some part of London.

              <mailto:elzunia%40alimail.net> > wrote:

              > Yes, evidence is needed and the application has to
              > be approved first by
              > your local Polish organisation, like SPK, who send
              > them on to the
              > Embassy/Consulate.
              >
              > pozdrowienia
              > Elzunia Olsson
              > Sweden
              > Gallery Administrator
              > http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html
              <http://www.kresy-siberia.org/photo.html>

              <mailto:Kresy-Siberia%40yahoogroups.com>

              http://mail.yahoo.com <http://mail.yahoo.com>

              _____

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                HI ELZUNIA:

                Again, not to be argumentative - but I didn't go
                through the Honorary Consulate in Miami, Florida but
                through the Embassy in Washington, DC which handles
                Polish business for all the States. And obviously,
                there must be thousands of us here just as there are
                in the UK - Chicago alone is as if a Polish city in
                itself!

                Anyway, I did try to find a Combatant's Assoc. - but
                in the end, I sent the application directly to the
                Embassy. Maybe I was just lucky to be able to omit
                one step in the process. And although it seemed to me
                at first that I attached a lot of documentation, in
                reality it wasn't all that much. There again I was
                very fortunate! And to receive the Cross in six
                months is incredible judging from all the comments I'm
                reading insofar as the time frame is concerned!

                Could it be that Polish organizations here are not as
                informative to their constituents as maybe elsewhere
                and that's why there may be less applicants (if indeed
                it is so) for the Cross therefore the difference in
                the time frame in which the Cross is awarded? I know
                that I am much better informed on Polish affairs
                having joined this Group. Whatever the answer is, I'm
                just happy I'm in possession of such a treasure!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Carol Dove
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Elizabeth,

                  We must have it linked already as it shows up in
                  search.I will look once more. Carol

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • antoranz@ihug.co.nz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                    You may find it at:
                    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~antora/BIBLIOT/BIBLIOT.HTM
                    with severalother relevant books
                    and direct link is:
                    http://www.antoranz.net/BIBLIOTEKA/SKWARKO/SKWARKO/S0/S00T_TITLE_DEDIC.HTM

                    regards -

                    Roman Antoszewski
                    ====================
                    On 2 Nov 2007 at 7:48, Carol Dove wrote:

                    > Elizabeth,
                    >
                    > We must have it linked already as it shows up in
                    > search.I will look once more. Carol

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Carol Dove
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Roman,

                      What an amazing link! Thank you so much. I am
                      searching for my Grandfathers, "Czeslaw Celinski"
                      book. When my aunt was in Isfahan in 1943 her teacher
                      asked to read it and said she would give it right
                      back. She never saw it again. Leokodia (my
                      aunt)recalls she was in camp # 9 and her teacher was a
                      pretty blond with a blond daughter. This personal
                      diary was blue and Lodgia called it a large "shettie".
                      There are songs that my grandfather sang about his 3
                      year old son that is buried in Siberia. Many stories
                      that are my grandfathers inner feelings. When her
                      teacher was leaving for New Zealand (last large
                      transport from Iran) Lodgia got sick at the last min.
                      and was seperated before she could ask for it's
                      return. I pray it did not get sold on ebay and to one
                      day have it back in my family. Whenever I see a link I
                      write and ask. Any suggestions? Carol

                      --- antoranz@... wrote:

                      > You may find it at:

                      http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~antora/BIBLIOT/BIBLIOT.HTM
                      > with severalother relevant books
                      > and direct link is:

                      http://www.antoranz.net/BIBLIOTEKA/SKWARKO/SKWARKO/S0/S00T_TITLE_DEDIC.HTM

                      > regards -
                      >
                      > Roman Antoszewski
                      > ====================
                      > On 2 Nov 2007 at 7:48, Carol Dove wrote:
                      >

                      > > Elizabeth,
                      > >
                      > > We must have it linked already as it shows up in
                      > > search.I will look once more. Carol

                      > protection around
                      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Beata Kalinska
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                        Carol, I do hope this precious family document reaches you sometime. Amazing things do happen. The word "shettie", would that be how you heard the Polish word "zeszyt"? Zeszyt means a school exercise book, usually largish and with a paper cover. Regards, Beata Montreal

                        Carol Dove <stashaok@...> wrote: Roman,

                        --- antoranz@... wrote:

                        > You may find it at:

                        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~antora/BIBLIOT/BIBLIOT.HTM
                        > with severalother relevant books
                        > and direct link is:

                        http://www.antoranz.net/BIBLIOTEKA/SKWARKO/SKWARKO/S0/S00T_TITLE_DEDIC.HTM

                        > regards -
                        >
                        > Roman Antoszewski
                        > ====================
                        > On 2 Nov 2007 at 7:48, Carol Dove wrote:
                        >

                        > > Elizabeth,
                        > >
                        > > We must have it linked already as it shows up in
                        > > search.I will look once more. Carol

                        > protection around
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Carol Dove
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                          Beata,

                          I would say yes it is a "zeszyt" my aunt was speaking of. Thank you
                          for your help. When I talk to my aunt she usually spells the names
                          for me, she did say it was like the ones used in school, blue in
                          color. I sound spelled it and it worked as you knew what it is. I
                          believe if it's meant to come home it will. All I can do is pray and
                          keep asking. It does seem to be like looking for a needle in a hay
                          stack. Thank you, Carol Celinska Dove USA

                          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Beata Kalinska