Formatted Translation of Ankieta

  • Maria Szonert-Binienda
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      Translation of �Ankieta� from the Anders Collection in the Hoover Institute into English.

      Deposition in the Matter of So-called Plebiscite (Referendum)

      Arranged by the Soviet Authority in October of 1939.

      1. First and Last Name and Occupation

      Nebesny J�zef, mason�s assistant

      1. Place of Residence in October of 1939

      Hranki-Ku�y, County B���(illegible), Voivodeship (province) Lw�w

      1. Red Army Invasion and Power Takeover

      19th of October 1939, Red Army (detachments) entered Hranki-Ku�y

      1. Soviet Order upon Taking Over a Town or a Village (Repressions Towards Local Population, Searches, Arrests).

      Once the Soviet army entered the village, a committee was immediately organized with Miko�aj [Wergs?] as its Chairman. Subsequently they robbed the manor of the count Stanis�aw Skarbek, distributing the livestock to the people, mostly Jews and Ukrainians. They also imposed a curfew hour on the village at 9 PM.  While conducting searches, Ukrainian militia robbed people�s possessions, such as cattle, grain, furniture, carpets, etc., and what�s most important, this was taking place in the presence of the Soviet militia.

         5.     Election Campaign [Agitation] (Methods of Agitation, Mandatory Assemblies,
                 Meetings, Preparation of Voters� Lists).

      In the preelection period, meetings were conducted and everybody had to be present. They paid particular attention to the Poles. Only Ukrainians such as [Osoba?], Ko�owicz Miko�aj, Kowal Micha�, spoke at these meetings. They also organized some entertainment (dancing) and here also the Poles had to be present.  As everywhere, the village was divided into regions consisting of several houses, and in one of such houses residents from all the houses were gathering for the reading of the Stalin�s constitution.  Those who didn�t obey these orders were arrested and kept in prison for several weeks.

         6.       Organization of Elections, (Composition of the Election Commission, How and What
               Candidates Were Selected to the So-called [illegible word] Assembly of Ukraine
               and West Byelorussia).

      The composition of the Election Commission was as follows: [Waryo?] Micha�, [Ozorza?], Ko�owicz Miko�aj, Kowal, and Deszczak.  Dr. Strzekoz (Strukoz?) was selected as a candidate and we were ordered to vote for him. All those mentioned above were known for their hostile attitude towards the Polish State.

          7.    How Was the Voting Process Conducted?

      The voting took place on October 22nd 1939, between 8AM and 12PM. Voters entering the polling places were given a piece of paper (ballot) with a candidate�s name already completed (name of a candidate already written on the ballot). If a voter didn�t like the name he or she was free to cross it out, but such a person ended up being arrested because the polling place was simply stuffed with secret Soviet agents who waited for any opportunity to arrest the people. The sick, elderly or those who tried to avoid the polls were forced by the militia to the buggies and escorted to the polls.

                                                                             Nebesny J�zef

      P.S.

      Dear Group, after much trouble with formatting, above is the translation of this valuable document. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed, in particular with respect to names of the people and places.  The translation is as close as possible to the original language, certain explanations or rephrasings are provided in parenthesis.

      Maria

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
        Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Formatted Translation of Ankieta Maria
        Thank you for undertaking this arduous task!  Thousands of such documents remain largely unknown and untranslated in the Hoover archives.

        Irena, I believe that these depositions were collected for every powiat (county) in eastern Poland, is that right?  Are there some for Brody?

        From: "Maria Szonert-Binienda" <mszonert@...>

        P.S.
        Dear Group, after much trouble with formatting, above is the translation of this valuable document. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed, in particular with respect to names of the people and places.  The translation is as close as possible to the original language, certain explanations or rephrasings are provided in parenthesis.

        Maria
      • Halina Szulakowska
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
          Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Formatted Translation of Ankieta
          On the subject of 'Ankiety' , Irena very kindly posted me a copy of my father's, Antoni Szulakowski. He lived in the village of Sitnica close to Pinsk in the powiat of Luniniec. It came through the post yesterday and I have to say that I got a little emotional to see his writing and signature after all this time (Tata died 12 years ago).

          So 'thank you' again to Irena!

          From: "Maria Szonert-Binienda" <mszonert@...>

          P.S.
          Dear Group, after much trouble with formatting, above is the translation of this valuable document. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed, in particular with respect to names of the people and places.  The translation is as close as possible to the original language, certain explanations or rephrasings are provided in parenthesis.

          Maria

          **
          *  Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
          *  Send e-mails to:  Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
          **
          *  To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
          *  and your interest in the group to:
          *      Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com