Re: Resolve that all can live by.

  • Carol Dove
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2007
      Witold and Group,

      This is also what I pray for. My heart is torn between
      two countries that I consider one. In fact I think of
      Ukraine as my families homeland as I do Poland.

      I think the price paid and the way it all happened
      needs to be dealt with in an open manner. War Crimes
      of this magnitude cannot just be pushed under the rug.

      If you do not have consequences for a negative
      behavior then what will stop similar crimes. A strong
      war crime policy can do wonders. But only if the it's
      enforced.

      USA has used this on many guards that mistreated
      prisoners. They put the guards on T.V. and humiliated
      them for their behavior. If the USA ignored or covered
      this up it would still be going on. What stops others
      from doing the same is the fear of being held
      responsible. As you say, "that there is evil and greed
      within us" and what we need is accountability. We all
      must answer in the end.

      I think the worst thing any country can do is deny or
      devalue the crimes. This hurts the victim all over
      again and healing cannot take place.

      We also don't have the right to teach our children
      this behavior is alright and we are better people for
      forgiving. To many are not better people, ask the
      orphans if they feel their parents are better people.

      I am not saying start a war. I am saying what has
      happened never was concluded. If I was running Ukraine
      or Russia, I would stand up and admit this was
      something that never should have been. Our people are
      sorry that this happened. We are not dealing (for the
      most part, I should hope) with the actual criminals
      from 60 years ago. History knows the truth. Now out of
      simple respect this needs to happen.

      With that simple action out of the way all shall move
      forward to healing and stop going in a circle of "but
      you did this first". Each country can now gain by
      working together to solve this inner hurt and anger.
      Yes, I said it hurts and anger over the loss of our
      loved ones. It hurts even if it is from natural
      causes. Not just Poland but everyone has the same
      feelings. They differ in degree and why they had this
      loss, but all nations lost and all cry the same.

      Right now each and every one of the countries continue
      to be on the defensive. Regardless of the day of the
      week one if not two of them have a serious issues with
      another. Look at the news and what is being the main
      issues for serious problems. Not so much new issues
      but an unresolved past. Is it from the past being
      suppressed? This is not just one country it is all of
      them living in the past. Resolve is so simple yet
      stubborn pride leaves all apart.

      I do feel the ones responsible that are known and
      living should be tried in a court for war crimes. They
      may not live long enough to be sentenced but this is
      where accountability comes into play. Showing younger
      generations that this behavior by each and every
      country will not go unpunished.

      So thats it, My country with resolve and not having to
      read about a war that never had a conclusion. In the
      end we can each live with the past knowing our future
      is secure. Our children will read of the adults they
      look up to and they will have a higher standard to
      live by.

      "That is my heartfelt dream",
      Carol Celinska Dove/Residing President

      --- WITOLD SZYMANSKI <witold.szymanski@...>