Hoover Institute

  • Helena T Hayden
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 29, 2007
      On the subject of the Anders collection at the Hoover institute.....
      is there anyone that someone could recommend who could do lookups?

      I am not looking for a freebie.

      My father spoke of being interviewed upon his arrival in Britain. I am
      wondering if the interview is in the collection and if so, if someone
      could copy it for me.

      Helena Franczak Hayden
      hthayden@...
    • Carol Dove
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 29, 2007
        Helena,

        I called Hoover Inst on the phone and they were excellant. I left my
        name and they checked out the information by what I gave them and then
        they decided who would be best for the job. I hope this helps, Carol
        Celinski Dove
      • Linder Ladbrooke
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 29, 2007
          This nice lady will copy/send to you, for free, any info you want, to your home! You can email to her in English -

          czernichowska@...

          Her name is Irena, no charge, unless you want to make a 'donation' to the upkeep of the records at 'Hoover'

          Good luck
          Linder

        • roman skulski
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 29, 2007
            Upon arrival in England from the Middle East in April 1943 I also was interviewed by an officer of MI5.

            I was told that it was strictly forbidden for me to discuss ,with English people,conditions that existed in the Soviet Union.

            Roman Skulski
            Poland and WWII 1939-1945

            Helena T Hayden <hthayden@...> wrote:

            On the subject of the Anders collection at the Hoover institute.....
            is there anyone that someone could recommend who could do lookups?

            I am not looking for a freebie.

            My father spoke of being interviewed upon his arrival in Britain. I am
            wondering if the interview is in the collection and if so, if someone
            could copy it for me.

            Helena Franczak Hayden
            hthayden@...

          • Aneta Hoffmann
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30, 2007
              Dear Helena,
              some time ago I was looking for some information in Hoover Institute
              and I contacted Mrs. Irena Czernichowska from this Institute. She was
              very helpful.
              Here is her address : <czernichowska@...>

              She was keen on helping anyone.
              I hope it will help you.

              Best regards,

              Aneta Hoffmann

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Helena T Hayden <hthayden@...>
              wrote:

              > On the subject of the Anders collection at the Hoover institute.....
              > is there anyone that someone could recommend who could do lookups?
              >
              > I am not looking for a freebie.
              >
              > My father spoke of being interviewed upon his arrival in Britain. I am
              > wondering if the interview is in the collection and if so, if someone
              > could copy it for me.
              >

              > Helena Franczak Hayden
              > hthayden@...

            • danutakelly
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2007
                Helena
                I had a lady who seemed to know what she was doing in the name of Irena
                CZernichowska - czernichowska@... Her name was
                passed on to me by Zbigniew Stanczyk at Hoover. Good luck--- In Kresy-
                Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Helena T Hayden <hthayden@...> wrote:

                > On the subject of the Anders collection at the Hoover institute.....
                > is there anyone that someone could recommend who could do lookups?
                >
                > I am not looking for a freebie.
                >
                > My father spoke of being interviewed upon his arrival in Britain. I am
                > wondering if the interview is in the collection and if so, if someone
                > could copy it for me.
                >

                > Helena Franczak Hayden
                > hthayden@...

              • Helena T Hayden
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Hi everybody.
                  Re: Irena at Hoover.
                  Three people have given me her name and contact information. I did write
                  to her, and she did immediately write back.
                  She says there is no record of my father's interview in the Anders papers
                  at Hoover, but she may have found my Uncle's interview card.
                  She suggests looking at the Sikorski Institute in London for a record of
                  my father.

                  (My dad, a surviver of Siberia, and now passed away, spoke of being
                  interviewed when he arrived at Liverpool, in 1943. He was taken to a
                  detainment area and interviewed.)

                  Two years previously, two of my Uncles had arrived in Britain, and were
                  flying with the RAF.
                  Irena may have found the interview for one of them at Hoover.

                  I wish to thank everyone for their help, and especially, thankyou Irena.

                  Helena Franczak Hayden
                  hthayden@...

                • Lucyna Artymiuk
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
                    try also RAF Northolt which hold the Polish military records

                    their email is
                    polishasstdisoff@...

                    they reply very efficiently and will give you the procedure of how to get access to the documents

                    Lucyna

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
                      I'm still unclear on the Attestations - Perhaps somebody could clear it up for me.

                      1) Were they received from all personnel joining the Anders Army? Where they given at the point of joining the army in Russia / Iran or later?

                      2) As the Polish 2Korpus was attached to the British 8th Army, and was repatriated initially to the UK in 1946, why are they in the Hoover institute and not the Sikorski Institute.

                      Any information to make this clearer for me would be greatly appreciated.

                      Regards,

                      Frank
                      Manchester, UK

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
                        Frank

                        For information regarding the Polish collection in the Hoover Institution Archives please visit the website at
                        http://www.hoover.org/hila/collections/5682001.html or contact Maciej Siekierski, Curator, East European Collection, at siekierski@...

                      • Elizabeth Olsson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2009
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 7 9:14 AM
                            Hi everyone,

                            Firstly, I want to wish you all a happy, peaceful and joyous Easter.

                            I just wondered if anyone has every contacted the Hoover Institute by email?  I have looked on their site but there are a few email addresses and I don't know which one is the correct one to ask about documentation they may have for my Dad.  Someone on here mentioned that they do have documentation about men who were with the 2nd Corps.

                            Thank you in advance for any help.   I am now eagerly awaiting the records for my Dad from the MOD.  What a journey we are all on!

                            My warmest wishes to you all

                            Barbara Szczepanski Dunleavy
                            England

                          • John Halucha
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 7 3:05 PM
                              Hi, Barbara,
                              Here are some notes I made a couple of years ago. I trust that the addresses are still current, though I haven't tested them in awhile.

                              John Halucha
                              Sault Ste Marie, Canada

                              Contact:

                              Irena Czernichowska
                              czernichowska@...

                              General address
                              archives@...

                              Write an e-mail requesting any information and copies of documents pertaining to your relative. You can use this point-form format to ease research. (Remove suggestions given here between brackets.)

                              Family Name:  (include alternative spellings)

                              First Name:

                              Birth Date:

                              Birth Location:

                              Father:

                              Mother: (including maiden name in brackets, if known)

                              Transport: (Last known location and occupation in Poland, military service prior to and in 1939, when departed Poland and under what circumstances. Details could assist finding documents.)

                              Army service: (Mention when the soldier came under British Command, any details of units, rank, military decorations, dates and locations of action or service, etc.)

                              You could begin with an e-mail inquiry. If you are notified that documents have been found, you can request that copies be mailed to your postal address.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 7 3:41 PM
                                Hi Barbara

                                If you go to the Reference Centre of our Virtual Museum www.kresy-siberia.org there are details on Hoover as well as MoD, Karta, and dozens of research sources and links.

                                I will have a chance to be at Hoover Institute in 3 weeks as part of my San Francisco visit, if there is anything I can do to help. NB our Kresy-Siberia Group member Irene Czernichowska is an archivist there and if you copy her on the request she may be able to assist. Just put Czernichowska in front of the @... to reach her.

                                Best regards
                                Stefan Wisniowski
                                Sydney Australia

                                On 08/04/2012, at 2:14, Barbara Dunleavy <barbaraszczepanski@...> wrote:

                                Hi everyone,

                                Firstly, I want to wish you all a happy, peaceful and joyous Easter.

                                I just wondered if anyone has every contacted the Hoover Institute by email?  I have looked on their site but there are a few email addresses and I don't know which one is the correct one to ask about documentation they may have for my Dad.  Someone on here mentioned that they do have documentation about men who were with the 2nd Corps.

                                Thank you in advance for any help.   I am now eagerly awaiting the records for my Dad from the MOD.  What a journey we are all on!

                                My warmest wishes to you all

                                Barbara Szczepanski Dunleavy
                                England

                              • Mark and Oyun
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 8 12:36 AM
                                  Dear Barbara,
                                  Alternatively, you could post his information here and perhaps someone will come back to you with some information even sooner. Either you haven't or I've missed it. Name/DOB and the such like… if there is information to be had, we might surprise you! Is it Szczepanski you are looking for? There are several references in Hoover. Give it a thought if you are interested.
                                  Regards, Mark Ostrowski

                                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Wisniowski <stefan.wisniowski@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Barbara
                                  >
                                  > If you go to the Reference Centre of our Virtual Museum www.kresy-siberia.org there are details on Hoover as well as MoD, Karta, and dozens of research sources and links.
                                  >
                                  > I will have a chance to be at Hoover Institute in 3 weeks as part of my San Francisco visit, if there is anything I can do to help. NB our Kresy-Siberia Group member Irene Czernichowska is an archivist there and if you copy her on the request she may be able to assist. Just put Czernichowska in front of the @... to reach her.
                                  >
                                  > Best regards
                                  > Stefan Wisniowski
                                  > Sydney Australia
                                  >
                                  > On 08/04/2012, at 2:14, Barbara Dunleavy <barbaraszczepanski@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hi everyone,
                                  > >
                                  > > Firstly, I want to wish you all a happy, peaceful and joyous Easter.
                                  > >
                                  > > I just wondered if anyone has every contacted the Hoover Institute by email? I have looked on their site but there are a few email addresses and I don't know which one is the correct one to ask about documentation they may have for my Dad. Someone on here mentioned that they do have documentation about men who were with the 2nd Corps.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thank you in advance for any help. I am now eagerly awaiting the records for my Dad from the MOD. What a journey we are all on!
                                  > >
                                  > > My warmest wishes to you all
                                  > >
                                  > > Barbara Szczepanski Dunleavy
                                  > > England

                                • Barbara Dunleavy
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 9 12:29 AM
                                    Hi John,

                                    Thank you for both your replies and the email address for the Hoover institute.  I will be contacting them.

                                    From what my family tell me, they, too, were well treated whilst working in Germany.  Indeed, the man who owned the farm offered to give my grandfather a piece of land so that he could stay in Germany and not have to return to a Soviet controlled Poland.   He turned this offer down and did go back to Poland in 1946.

                                    I am relieved that your mother, too, was well treated.   I lived in Germany for a while when I was young and made some very good friends.  I still have these friends in my life now, after 40 years.   When I told them that my family had been deported to Germany in the war they were very fearful that I would find that they had had a really bad time and then were fearful of whether I would then see them differently.  We were all very relieved to find that they had been treated , to paraphrase my cousin's words, with respect, decency and kindness.   I know that other people were not so fortunate.

                                    My warmest wishes to you John and thank you again.