Compensation and good-bye

  • bechta1936
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2007
      I wish to clarify my message 24513. The main purpose of posting it
      was to express my disappointment about nil interest in offering
      support to a Polish priest who is trying to keep the "Polish spirit"
      alive among the descendants of deportees on Russian soil. It was the
      disparity in members' reaction to two contrasting issues that
      saddened me, i.e. possible financial gain (even if insignificant)
      vs. parting with a few dollars. Buoyed by a member's rash and naive
      suggestion: "Let's all write to the Polish government and demand
      that all Polish people still on Russian soil be returned to Poland",
      I was hoping that we as a group -or Polskie Zwiazki in their
      respective countries- could initiate something more achievable, more
      tangible, such as erecting a small memorial on Siberian soil to
      commemorate our Kresy people who lived and died there.

      Maybe I misinterpreted the purpose of this group, but to me it seems
      that lately the site has become more of a blog -a venue for some to
      exercise their linguistic muscles (often with disrespect to age),
      exchange private info. or vent their anger. I vented my
      disappointment and stand corrected. I'll "squawk" no more (mssg
      24523).

      Funnily enough, we too (a widowed mother with 2 small children) had
      to start life anew not just once but in many different countries
      (mssg 24538) but I see those moves now as experiences that enriched,
      not embittered, my life in spite of struggles and prejudices. Out
      of 16 deported members of my family only 3 remain, the rest met
      their Maker in 7 different countries.

      I have asked our moderator to terminate my membership and this
      message is mainly to give thanks to some of the people who helped me
      fit the missing pieces of a puzzle.

      To ANTONI whose knowledge of languages, camp sites, archivs access,
      and names of organizations was invaluable!

      To KEN FEDZIN who was instrumental in my obtaining a copy of my
      birth certificate, and, through Father Obuchowski, in finding the
      site of our posiolek.

      ROMUALD, I will not forget your story either, for it seems you had
      chai in the same chahaina where my uncles did in Gorchakov, and
      might have even collected my father's ravaged body from the side of
      a muddy road in your truck.

      Thank you all, and God bless
      Aniela (71)
      Life's trajectory: Kresy, Siberia, Uzbek. Iran, Karachi, Bombay,
      Africa, England, Argentina, USA, and now N.Z.

      I will leave you with this excerpt from Juluisz Slowacki's Hymn:
      " Zem czesto dumal nad mogila ludzi
      Zem prawie nie znal rodzinnego domu
      Zem byl jak pielgrzym, so sie w drodze trudzi
      Przy blaskach gromu
      Ze nie wiem, gdzie sie w mogile poloze
      Smutno mi, Boze"
    • Kenneth Fedzin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
        Hi Aniela,

        I was shocked and saddened to read of your intention to leave the Group.
        Whilst I too share your thoughts, please would you perhaps take a few
        deep breaths and reconsider. People will have differing views across
        the range of our mutual interest. It is just not possible for 600+
        people to think the same and so we will all at some time or other
        disagree, or even become exasperated at some comments. I've probably
        said things myself on the site that have raised eyebrows through my lack
        of knowledge, naivety, personal opinion, call it what you will. But
        sometimes that's what makes it 'interesting'. Also think of all the
        positives that have come from your membership/correspondence.

        I for one would certainly miss your contributions to the Group
        correspondence.

        We cannot afford to lose people like you, Aniela!

        Should your decision be a final one, I would like to thank you warmly
        for your correspondence with me both on and off the site. I will, of
        course, stay in touch privately.

        Ken Fedzin. Dewsbury. England.
      • Eve5J@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
          Dear Aniela:

          In answer to some points of your post, it is very unfortunate, but some of us know from experience that trying to unite Polonia in any cause is very difficult, if not almost impossible.  Welcome to the club, Aniela.  I know how discouraging this is.

          I feel respect has no age boundaries.  I think it is very poor to disparage fellow members based on our own personal opinions regarding property compensation.  One can always disagree without using disparaging words which are not necessary, especially in the compensation discussion.  As has been stated numerous times, decisions to pursue this avenue are personal ones.

          I agree with you entirely about personal exchanges.  It seems to me that 35 to 50 percent of our posts could be sent to fellow members privately, but this too is another lost, for lack of a better word, cause.  I call your attention to post No. 16--yes, No. 16, in which fellow member Chris Gladun wrote a bit about how to post the group.  Sadly, Chris died years ago.  When I first read his post in 2001 when this group was formed, I was more than a little put off by it, but in retrospect, Chris did have some valid points.

          A blog is a "web log," usually written by one person, sometimes with readers' comments.  There are similarities between a blog and a mail list group such as this.

          Finally, I think you may have been referring to me as one of those members possessing "linguistic muscle," which I was unaware I had.  Thank you for the compliment, yet I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

          With my best regards,
          Eve Jankowicz