Linder needs advice please

  • ladbrookelinder
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      Can any computer 'buffs'give me their advice on this
      stupid 'microsoft licensing law' topic? Please reply to me
      at 'ladbrooke@...'

      I intend to supply 2 computers each to 2 village schools + 1 for
      family, in Ukraine. Total of 5. They all only speak Ukr.
      Now, 'operating instructions' are laid down first, in Eng/USA. THEN,
      when the 'Microsoft Office Suite' programs are being installed, you
      have the chance to put it on in Ukraine language.

      Today I have gotten 2 differemt stories from 'Microsoft' UK;
      1] ONLY the person who purchased the 'Office Suite' of programs, is
      allowed to use it, because their name will be on the license [does
      that mean that no-one should come to your house and use your
      computer? That the repair-man can't fix it? Don't leave your lap-top'
      with anyone?]

      2] That we must buy another 3 set's of 'Micro Office Suite' in Ukr,
      just to get the names of 2 schools + 1 family member, on the license?

      As a lawyer earns about $50.00 per month there [£25.00] and the cost
      of the full 'Micro Suite' in UK is about £400.00 [=2400 hyrenia?] I
      can't see that being possible, especially as I already bought the
      full 'Suite' and have MY name on the license.

      They did say; if I took it OFF my machine, took it over there,
      installed it, used it, took it off THEIR machine and re-installed it
      on MY machine at home - that was OK - am I going daft or missing the
      point here?? The intention is that they can EMAIL/WORD to me here!!!

      Please give me some 'sensible' advice on this before I loose my
      temper with them!!!

      Linder
    • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007

        Linder,

        Having worked in the high tech business for 30 years, including Software Development Companies, they simply want to recover their NRE (Non Recurring Expenses).  R & D cost.

        Lots of highly skilled engineers writing and testing, marketing and selling and then supporting the product for life.  It costs companies lots of money to do this.

        So it is all pretty simple.

        They simply are saying is that you can only install software on One Machine. It does not matter to them if someone else actually uses it , like your kids, or your hubby, or the repair fellow, etc..  One Software = one machine.

        One could of course buy a “Site License.  Like a Corporation buys one actual set of CD’s, but they can install it on a thousand machines. Why would a corporation buy one thousand CD’s and file /store them in some large room.  One CD for each machine would not make sense right ?

        Yes, if you want to be legal, you have to buy 3 new sets of Microsoft Office for the 3 PCs.  You can install the same software onto 3 different machines, however, it’s not legal and the KEY will be invalid if each machine tries to get updates from Microsoft’s Servers. It won’t work.

        Most likely you can buy Microsoft Office really cheap in Ukraine .   They have different prices for each Country.  Price depends on earning potential in each region /Country.  Otherwise how could a lawyer in Ukraine earning $50 a month afford to buy a $1000 PC ?  Never mind the Software?

        If all you want do is email WORD documents, maybe a Microsoft Office 2000 would be sufficient.  Why buy the new 2007 Version?  The new Versions are much bigger and require a new Expensive PC to run it.

        Hope this helps somewhat?

        Regards

        Zbigniew

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2007
          Linder,

          You may be interested to hear about Open Office. It is a completely
          free set of programs which include most of the functions of MS
          Office, but without the hefty licence cost. It is complatible with MS
          Word, Excel, etc.

          The downside is that the web site shows Ukrainian as being 'under
          development'.

          It may be a viable alternative if there is a need to keep the costs
          down and not fall foul of MS's licence costs and/or policies where
          export to another country is involved.

          Web site is http://www.openoffice.org/

          Rgds
          Rob
          Nottingham, UK

          Siberia@yahoogroups.com]
          > On Behalf Of ladbrookelinder
          > Sent: August 2, 2007 12:55 PM
          > To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Linder needs advice please
          >

          > Can any computer 'buffs'give me their advice on this
          > stupid 'microsoft licensing law' topic? Please reply to me
          > at 'ladbrooke@ntlworld <mailto:%27ladbrooke%40ntlworld.com> .com'
          >
          > I intend to supply 2 computers each to 2 village schools + 1 for
          > family, in Ukraine. Total of 5. They all only speak Ukr.
          > Now, 'operating instructions' are laid down first, in Eng/USA.
          THEN,
          > when the 'Microsoft Office Suite' programs are being installed, you
          > have the chance to put it on in Ukraine language.
          >
          > Today I have gotten 2 differemt stories from 'Microsoft' UK;
          > 1] ONLY the person who purchased the 'Office Suite' of programs, is
          > allowed to use it, because their name will be on the license [does
          > that mean that no-one should come to your house and use your
          > computer? That the repair-man can't fix it? Don't leave your lap-
          top'
          > with anyone?]
          >
          > 2] That we must buy another 3 set's of 'Micro Office Suite' in Ukr,
          > just to get the names of 2 schools + 1 family member, on the
          license?

          > As a lawyer earns about $50.00 per month there [£25.00] and the
          cost
          > of the full 'Micro Suite' in UK is about £400.00 [=2400 hyrenia?] I
          > can't see that being possible, especially as I already bought the
          > full 'Suite' and have MY name on the license.
          >
          > They did say; if I took it OFF my machine, took it over there,
          > installed it, used it, took it off THEIR machine and re-installed
          it
          > on MY machine at home - that was OK - am I going daft or missing
          the
          > point here?? The intention is that they can EMAIL/WORD to me here!!!
          >
          > Please give me some 'sensible' advice on this before I loose my
          > temper with them!!!
          >
          > Linder

        • Linder Ladbrooke
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2007
            Thanks Rob. I've got till Sept 'courir-van' to get m/c's and sort it out. Will look at that site
            Linder
          • Linder Ladbrooke
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
              I know that we have some very clever IT/Language folk's on board - I'm
              worried about doing this - advice please!

              I soon have to change from 'Explorer 6' to 'Explorer 8'. I'm using 'XP' and
              'Outlook 2000 and 'Word 2000' [old, but reliable, like me]

              Now, I have been told that it will 'mess-up' my 'language settings/my
              translation progs/my Abbyy Fine Reader, [scan languages to 'Word' in
              UKR/Pol/Russian, then translate to Eng via 'Word']/my 3 Ru/Pol/Ukr
              keyboards/the 'language-learning progs' - in fact everything that I rely on.
              Can any member that's IT-clever, contact me by my email
              [ladbrooke@...] None of this stuff was ever in a book, it was
              'trial and error' many years ago, and so any advice before I start would be
              appreciated. At the moment, I can easily translate from the Net/from letters
              rec by 'snail-mail' messages, letters from email - all in Russian
              /Polish/Ukrainian - if I 'loose' that, I'm well and truly stuck!!!

              Thanks in advance boys and girls

              Linder