Films on 1944 Warsaw revolt

  • Lech K. Lesiak
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
      Hven't seen 'Ashes And Diamonds', but I did see 'Kanal' in Calgary at a
      festival of Zanussi's films. I believe 'Kanal' was his first one.

      Obviously films of this sort don't get the same distribution as a
      Hollywood epic.

      Anyone know of an English-languge films on this topic? I haven't run
      across any.

      Cheers,
      Lech Lesiak
      Calgary, Alberta
    • Paul Havers
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
        I did see a film "Godzina W" (W Hour) with English subtitles
        but for the love of it all can't remember where
        I'll have a look at one of the Polish internet shops

        Paul

        At 08:01 09/09/2002 -0600, you wrote:

        Hven't seen 'Ashes And Diamonds', but I did see 'Kanal'  in Calgary at a
        festival of Zanussi's films.  I believe 'Kanal' was his first one.

        Obviously films of this sort don't get the same distribution as a
        Hollywood epic.

        Anyone know of an English-languge films on this topic?  I haven't run
        across any.

        Cheers,
        Lech Lesiak
        Calgary, Alberta

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Home page;   www.paulhavers.co.uk
        Eastern Borderlands of II RP;   www.kresy.co.uk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Checked by Norton Anti Virus 2002
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Paul Havers
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
          Lech

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
            'Ashes And Diamonds' is Wajda's film - see Stefan's posting.

            Stas

            Lech K. Lesiak wrote:

            > Hven't seen 'Ashes And Diamonds', but I did see 'Kanal' in Calgary at a
            > festival of Zanussi's films. I believe 'Kanal' was his first one.
            >
            > Obviously films of this sort don't get the same distribution as a
            > Hollywood epic.
            >
            > Anyone know of an English-languge films on this topic? I haven't run
            > across any.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Lech Lesiak
            > Calgary, Alberta

            > **
            > * Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
            > * Send e-mails to: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
            > **
            > * To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
            > * and your interest in the group to:
            > * Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

            Signup online for INSTANT dial-up access at http://isni.net/signup
          • b.davoust
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
              Lech,
              Both Kanal (about the Warsaw uprising) and Ashes and Diamonds (about the
              period just after the war) were made by Wajda, not Zanussi.
              I just checked on the Web, but none of the pages about Polish cinema would
              open. I did however find a 3 hour method to learn Polish, with "no tedious
              memorization"! Just what we need to read all those archives!

              Barbara Davoust
            • S & J Szybalski
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
                http://www.us.imdb.com/Glossary/

                On this web site you can find practically all movies including Polish and most
                of then have also synopsis. Get busy.

                Syanislaw Szybalski