Re: [Kresy-Siberia] New member introduction

  • Boz Challis
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 10:41 AM
      Hi Chris

      Thanks !
      Am going to obtain my father's military records as a starting point.

      Regards
      Bozena

    • Michael Fabisiak
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
        Hi, my name is Michael Fabisiak, my father (Mieczyslaw) was a Soldier in the Polish army, after the war he remained in Scotland as he had nothing to go back to. He came from Pinsk which at that time was in Eastern Poland , His family, Mother, brother, Grandparents on his mothers side, and two Aunts were deported to a labour camp in Kyrgyzstan. His father was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Polish army, he was deployed to his unit when war broke out, and they didn't see him again till about a year after they were in the camp, The Russians released him from another camp because he was ill with Tuberculosis, and was not fit to work, he made his way to my fathers camp, but died 3 weeks later. My father and his brother were released after about 2 yrs, and made their way to Iran to join the Polish Army. My father did not talk to his children about his experiences, but he did talk to my mum who had the foresight to write most of it down. I have started
        writing his story for my own children and grandchildren, but would like to fill in some of the missing pieces. Hopefully I will get some here, and share some of the information I have.
        Michael Fabisiak

      • Carol Dove
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 28, 2008
          Michael,

          Welcome to the group. You will be able to get information, locate documents, add your family to the memorial. Hopefully I can be of help.

          Carol Celinska Dove, USA

          Michael Fabisiak <michael.fabisiak@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Krystyna Szypowska
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
            Dear Group,

            Here is an introduction by a new member.  I hope that some of you will be able to fill in some of the blanks for her !

            Krystyna

            --
            KRYSTYNA SZYPOWSKA
            Winnipeg, Canada

            Executive Director, Kresy-Siberia Foundation
            www.Kresy-Siberia.org
            Krystyna.Szypowska@...

            My name is Debby Saporetti  and I live in Cape Town with my husband , son and mother (81 this September). She moved  from Zimbabwe 3 years ago.

            (I don’t speak Polish so my spelling is inaccurate)

            My mom is Teresa Dandy (born 1930), nee Taczalo.  It was Taczala but she said the officials in transit changed the a to an o. My grandfather was Alexander Taczala  (born approx. 1894) and my babcia was Staniswawa Szeblewska. Born 1910.

            My great grandfather was Konstanti Szeblewski and my great grandmother was Veronika  (nee) Tomaszewski.

            My gran Stanislawa moved from Hoch/ Wodch(?) ,Poznan  to Kresy with her family  (father, Konstanti Szeblewski fought in WW1) in 1924.  She was 14. I think the town was called Dobrowicze or Donobrowiecze. (?) It was about 15 km from Nowogrodek. She was the oldest  daughter with 3 younger sisters. Marysia, Bronia  and Hella. ( Bronia moved to Zielonagora and Hella to Donobrowiecze, don’t know about their families)  My babcia married in April 1929 to Alexander Taczala. He was from Starakazimieka, Posnan and also in army in WW1. They moved to Niechniewcze to a small farm of 20 hectares, 18 km from Nowogrodek. My mom Teresa was born in 1930. Edek in (1932- 2007),  Stas in 1934 (he lives in Durban), a brother 1936 and a sister 1938. ( I’ll have to ask my mom for their names)

            My mom remembers the following names from her little town Niechniewiewcze:

            the. F. Kaminski family, Pani Kaminski taught at the local school and was a piano teacher, daughter Kornelia  (born 1925 – 2001?)( she became a dentist and lived in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe for many years and son Konrad, (born approx. 1928)( livesUK)- not sure whether he is still alive. He used to play with my mom’s brother, Edek.

            The A.Ryl family. Pani Stasia Ryl was my mom’s Godmother.

            The L. Kwiecinski family lived next door to my mom’s next door neighbours.

            The K. Zurek family were about 5 properties away.

            The S. Wdowcyk family were neighbours.

            The P.Wojno family  lived 5 properties away.  there were 2 brothers

            The S. Majek and Zurek’s were brothers in law. The wives were sisters.

            The F. Krawczyski family also lived nearby.

            She remembers the town had 2 churches and 1 synagogue. ( synagogue not mentioned in Paul Haver’s website)

            After Siberia, my mom’s little brother and sister died in Usbekistan.

            The family ( Stasia, Teresa, Edek and Stan) were taken to Rhodesia and Teresa spent a short time at Diglaford.

            She remembers Halina Uszczek. The Niebuda family, Zosia, Basia, Janina and Metek.

            My gran re-married and became Stanislawa Steyn, they lived in Mutare (Umtali) and bought a farm in Inyanga district.

            My mom married in 1954 in Mutare.  My father would not allow my sister and I to learn Polish. We moved to Australia in 1961 and lived in Sydney until January 1968 when we relocated to Cape Town. My mom moved back to Zimbabwe in 1981 to be with her mother and worked at Arundel School in Harare for 20 yrs. She fled to South Africa in 2008 leaving behind everything ( 2 family farms were already taken away a couple of years earlier ) - house, car, possessions) for a second time in her life.

            Zosia Niebuda (don’t know married name)wrote a beautiful book about her life in Poland and the war experiences in about 1993 (?) Unfortunately the book was left behind in Zimbabwe.   I don’t know the title or author.  I would love to get a copy of that book if anyone can help me?  It was published in Canada. Sorry I’m so vague.

            I would also really like to know the geographic location of Niechniewcze . I’ve been looking on Google Earth but my clues are so vague and I don’t speak Russian.

            It would be wonderful to link up with families that my mom knew years ago.

            Many thanks for reading and God bless.

            Debby Saporetti

          • henrykter
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
              Niehniewicze - 53° 39' N, 26° 04' E.

              Niehniewicze was a miasteczko (small town) and gmina town with dependencies - Lyczyce, and Bulhakowskie.The Justice of the Peace was in Nowogrodek. The justice court was in Nowogrodek. The 1928 population was 406. The railway was 5 km away in Basino, a trainstop for limited transports. The post office and telephone were in Lubcza n. Niemnem. The telegraph was in Nowogrodek. Korelicze had one Catholic church and 1 Orthodox church. - from: http://www.kresy.co.uk/nowogrodskie_towns.html#nowogrodek

              see also: http://www.radzima.net/eng/miejsce/niehniewicze_1.html

              or:http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~community~-1946708

              Or google the above spelling for more. Pictures of cemetery in google images.

              Regards, Henryk
            • Elizabeth Olsson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011

                Welcome to the group Debbie

                Osada Niechniewicze was 18 km east of Nowogrodek, on the road leading to Szczors. Powiat Nowogrodek. I’m sure someone in the group can find you a map, we have several map experts here.

                There is a short description of life on the osada before deportation, written by Feliks Wdowczyk. (The synagogue  is mentioned here.) It’s not long, just over a page - if someone will volunteer to translate it for you. Please contact me Elzunia(a)alimail.net

                pozdrowienia
                Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                Alingsås , Sweden
                Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                Army: Pestki 316 Transport.
                Sappers 5KDP.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
                  Debby, you mention Halina Uszczek.-
                  " HALINA JUSZCZYK (KOJDER)
                  Osada Niechniewicze, District Nowogródek
                  Between the date of the entry of the Soviet army and our deportation to Siberia was a nightmare of intrusions during the hours of darkness, searches for arms, petty annoyances and outright threats. The servants disappeared from the very first day. The troops passing by confiscated everything â horses, cattle and our entire supply of food. And what an army they were! Hungry, filthy, clad in tatters. Men whose highest aspiration was to own a watch."

                  from:http://www.stalinsethniccleansing.com/content/extracts/extracts013.htm

                  And Zurek family:The list of persons killed during the "days of freedom." - Zurek Peter - settler-military settlement Niechniewicze - Niechniewicze - Nowogrodzki - Nowogrodek

                  from: http://www.stankiewicze.com/ludobojstwo/dni_swobody.html

                  Henryk
                • antoni530
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2011
                    Debby,

                    I think it should be NIEHNIEWICZE , which is just few kms eastwards from Nowogrodek and north from Korelicze and our osada Poloneczka.
                    Please write to me directly and I'll send a map in Polish for that area.
                    antoni530

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Olsson" <elzunia@...> wrote:

                    > Welcome to the group Debbie
                    >
                    > Osada Niechniewicze was 18 km east of Nowogrodek, on the road leading to Szczors. Powiat Nowogrodek. I’m sure someone in the group can find you a map, we have several map experts here.
                    >
                    > There is a short description of life on the osada before deportation, written by Feliks Wdowczyk. (The synagogue is mentioned here.) It’s not long, just over a page - if someone will volunteer to translate it for you. Please contact me Elzunia(a)alimail.net
                    >

                    > pozdrowienia
                    > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                    > Alingsås, Sweden
                    > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                    > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                    > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                    > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Elizabeth Olsson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2011

                      Antoni has written an article about his osada which gives you an idea of what life was in that part of Kresy

                      145 osada Ulanowszczyzna.pdf

                      If this link doesn’t work, go to the Yahoo site

                      you have to register separately with Yahoo to access the member Files and Photos

                      choose Files

                      then

                      2. OSADY
                      Translation of book "Wspomnienia z osad wojskowych". Memories from military settlements 1921-1940

                    • JanZ
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 24, 2011

                        Debby,

                        Are you aware that you family are listed on the Karta database: http://www.indeks.karta.org.pl/pl/wyszukiwanie.jsp

                        There you can find more details of their deportation to Czurga in Archangielsk region.
                        TaczałoEdmundAleksander1933Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        TaczałoSławomirAleksander1939Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        TaczałoStanisławAleksander1935Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        TaczałoStanisławaKonstanty1910Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        TaczałoTeresaAleksander1931Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        TaczałoWandaAleksander1937Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                        Also the book you are after is My Guardia Angel, by Zofia Niebuda, published in 1996 by Easy Printing in Toronto.

                        Janusz