Welcome Barbara Johnson

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      Please welcome another Aussie to the group. Have you all had a chance to
      see the Australian Immigration Department's website book about one group of
      Sybiracy refugees that came here?

      http://www.immi.gov.au/research/publications/langfitt/index.htm

      Regards,
      Stefan

      --
      I would like to introduce myself to the Group. My name is Barbara Johnson
      (Kuriata), I live in Perth Western Australia and both of my parents and

      Barbara B Johnson
      Senior Records Officer
      Records Management Services
      Edith Cowan University
      Telephone: +61 8 9273 8261
      Mobile: +61 409 371 800
      E-mail: b.johnson@...
    • Ted Morawski
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
        Stefan Wisniowski wrote:

        > Please welcome another Aussie to the group. Have you all had a chance to
        > see the Australian Immigration Department's website book about one group of
        > Sybiracy refugees that came here?
        >
        > http://www.immi.gov.au/research/publications/langfitt/index.htm
        >
        > Regards,
        > Stefan
        >
        > --
        > I would like to introduce myself to the Group. My name is Barbara Johnson
        > (Kuriata), I live in Perth Western Australia and both of my parents and
        > their parents were sent to Siberia during the Second World War. We have a
        > very strong Polish Community here in Perth with a strong Siberian Group
        > called Kolo Sybiraków. My Aunt is a keen member and has fuelled my
        > interest. I am looking forward to receiving and sharing information about
        > our people in Poland, Siberia and later. Regards BJ
        >
        > Barbara B Johnson
        > Senior Records Officer
        > Records Management Services
        > Edith Cowan University
        > Telephone: +61 8 9273 8261
        > Mobile: +61 409 371 800
        > E-mail: b.johnson@...

        Hello Barbara,

        I was interested in what you wrote and hope read more of your letters. Reading
        the website which Stefan linked above, I learned that some of the refugees from
        camps in Africa were resettled in Australia. I wasn't aware of that. I did know
        that some of them went to England because my mother-in-law and her family
        (Bortkiewicz) did so. I don't know the name of their camp in Africa but I
        know it was near Mt. Ngorongoro in Kenya I think.

        As to those who went to Australia, I'd like to mention that some later also
        settled there from Lebanon after the Polish refugee community in that
        country was dispersed by further resettlement in 1950. While my family were
        shipped to a camp in England, some others did choose to go to Australia.
        Among these was my little childhood friend from Beirut, Tereska Perlowska.
        I met her again one last time in the 60's in New York when she was in the
        course of a round-the-world trip which I understand is somewhat of a tradition
        among young Australians. Perhaps you may have heard of her in your community.

        Welcome,
        Ted Morawski
      • Barbara Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001