Re: [Kresy-Siberia] General anders - Origin of

  • S & J Szybalski
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
      It seems that Lithuanians having some nationality mania, starting to look for new Lithuanians, forgetting that we were for 4 centuries one country of two nations. A lot of Polish aristocracy was originally Lithuanian like Radziwill. Where Anders was born, doesn't make too much difference those days, but what he believed he was. The best example should be prof. Rudolf Weigl, whose only relation to Polish nationality was his step father who raised him. He was a great Pole and hero who saved hundreds or thousands of Poles in Lwow during WWII. There were other great Poles who chose to be Polish. Anyway, author  couldn't even spell properly name Gawlina, so I wouldn't worry, as we say: wolno i psu na Pana Boga szczekac.

      Stas Szybalski

      Stefan Wisniowski wrote:

      Seriously folks, for those who can't log onto the site claiming Anders was "Lithuanian", here is the text... you decide on the strength of the evidence offered... (not that it would matter where he was born - his deeds made him a Polish hero)

      In the meantime, Britannica places his birthplace as Blonie, Poland
      http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=7519&tocid=0&query=wladyslaw%20anders

      ...and the website http://www.andersarmy.com/anders-bio.htm puts this village less than 100 miles west of Warszawa (NB this is not Western Lithuania).

      The Polish website http://www.city.poznan.pl/ulan/ of the 15th Poznanski Lancers, which Anders commanded in 1919-1921, has this biography:
      "Urodzil sie 11 sierpnia 1892 r. w Bloniu kolo Kutna, byl synem Alberta, dzierzawcy majatku i Elzbiety z Tauchertów. Ukonczyl szkole realna w Warszawie, nastepnie studiowal na politechnice w Rydze."

      This precisely places his birth village as Blonie (near Kutno), which is at http://www.pilot.pl/index.php3?z_city_id=42069&lang=en on the map of Poland.  Again, nowhere near Lithuania.

      So the evidence so far seems to contradict the Lithuanian claim.  But, anyway, here is the Lithuanian site - you judge for yourself!

      http://www.angelfire.com/tx/LABAS/2000/feb/hero.html

      HERO OF MONTE CASSINO
      2nd Polish Army Corps General Wladyslaw Anders,

      A Lithuanian from Zemaitijai
      Free and abbreviated translation by Vytautas J.Sliupas, P.E. Jan.

      The following story appeared in the Lithuanian language weekly VORUTA, Dec. 18, 1999:

      POLISH GENERAL V. ANDERS - A LITHUANIAN ZEMAITIS

      At the start of World War II Polish Army general Vladislovas Anders was in charge of the Naugardukas cavalry brigade. When the Red Army entered Vilnius district, he was interned and shipped to the USSR. When in 1941 Polish Emigre government premier gen. V.Sikorski signed an agreement with USSR, gen. Anders was released from internment and charged with organizing Polish Army in USSR, which later became an Army Corps and fought with the Allies in the West. After the War general did not return to Poland but remained in the West. He was a strong anti-Communist.

      Until now very few people in Poland have even heard that this well known Polish military leader was a Lithuanian from Zemaitija.

      The Lithuanian daily Draugas of Chicago, in its June 9, 1970, Nr. 134 issue, published a story by Bishop V. Brizgys: 'About Gen. Anders Lithuanian Origin' in which the author revealed a story heard from the General himself:

      In 1952 early June there was an Eucharist Congress in Barcelona. Some forty-five Lithuanians attended. From England came General V. Anders with a group of Polish officers and the flag of their Corps.

      One morning, while gathering for a Mass in the square, I was approached by Archbishop Joseph Gawlina, with whom I was acquainted from earlier meetings in Rome, and by Graf Potocki, the Ambassador of Free Poland to Madrid, whom I also had met earlier in 1951. They suggested I meet with general Anders who was here in the square with his officers.

      After greetings the two of us remained together for a good hour, because the Eucharist Congress was always one to two hours late. We spoke in French. I asked him if there was any truth in the rumor, which I heard from several of his soldiers, that he could speak Lithuanian.

      The General very simply and openly told me that he was born in Zemaitija, Lithuania (I believe around Kelme, but cannot be sure today - V.B.), and that his true name was Andriejauskas. At home they spoke only Zemaitiskai. In the British Zone of Germany, later in Britain, now I do not know where, lives his brother who only speaks Lithuanian since he does not know any Polish.

      In 1914 as Adriejauskas he served in the Russian Czar's cavalry regiment in Zaliakalnis, Kaunas. When World War I started his regiment was sent to East Prussia. In 1915 he was moved to Russia and during the Revolution he was in Siberia. There various national groups started organizing their own military units. With many other fellow Lithuanians he joined the Polish brigade, and was successful in reaching Poland. That way he became a member of the Polish Army. Later he changed his name from Andriejauskas to Anders. Admitted that even now he could speak the Zemaiciu dialect of Western Lithuania, but did not have any opportunity to learn the true Lithuanian which is generally spoken today. These were the words of General V. Anders.

      'Where and when he went to schools I did not learn as we were interrupted by the Mass. Second and the final time we met was in 1965 at the funeral of Archbishop J. Gawlinka, during the Vatican II Conference, Fifth Session. Archbishop J.Gawlinka was the principal Chaplain of the Free Poland Army, who left Poland in 1939 and lived in Rome. For that reason gen. Anders came to his funeral. Archbishop Gawlinka was well known to the Lithuanians of Rome, was very friendly towards us, thus there were many Lithuanians at his funeral. After the Mass in Rome, in the Basilica of Twelve Apostles, his body was taken to the Monte Cassino Polish Military Cemetery. Later, there was buried General V.Anders-Andriejauskas'.
      Bishop V. Brizgys was not the first to reveal the Lithuanian origin of V.Anders. In the 1953 issue of Lietuviu Enciklopedija vol.1, p.162it is stated that: 'Anders (formerly Andrzejewski) Vladislovas was born in 1892 in Lithuania?' It is interesting to note that during the World War II even his close associates officers did not know his true nationality. As an example, his former adjutant J.Klimkowski claims that: 'General Anders was a son of a German nobleman, educated in Russian schools?'

      >From his book I was Gen. Anders's Adjutant, Russian Language, Moscow, 1991, p. 98

      **
      *  Replies to this message will go directly to the full list.
      *  Send e-mails to:  Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
      **
      *  To SUBSCRIBE, send an e-mail saying who you are
      *  and your interest in the group to:
      *      Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com