Re: Another source for research/Nazi deportations

  • krysdobrzanski@talktalk.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hello Aneta and Bozena,

      Carrying on from your topic of the deportations of Ethnic Poles by the Nazis as slave labour, a new book on this subject is due to be released on 15th March. The details and Amazon links are below and I have also included the synopsis from the publishers.

      My late mother-in-law was used as a domestic slave to a German family, regularly beaten and kept on starvation food rations. Basically, she was treated as a sub-human as were many Poles during the Nazi occupation.

      With warmest regards,

      Krys
      (Ipswich, UK)

      Release Date: 15 March 2007
      Product details
      • Hardcover: 344 pages
      • Publisher: University Press of Kansas (15 Mar 2007)
      • Language English
      • ISBN-10: 0700615067
      • ISBN-13: 978-0700615063
      • Product Dimensions: 6 x 9 inches

      Synopsis
      The fate of Polish Jews under the German occupation has been well documented, but not as much is known about the wartime ordeal of non-Jewish Poles. Phillip Rutherford investigates Nazi policies of "ethnic cleansing" to reveal the striking anti-Polish nature of the crusade to Germanize newly occupied territory and to show that these actions were a dress rehearsal for the Holocaust. Rutherford explores the origin and implementation of Nazi resettlement schemes in occupied western Poland, where Germany sought to reclaim territory for its expanding population by booting out the "ethnically inferior" Poles who had lived there for generations. Focusing on the Wartheland region, he examines four major deportation operations carried out between December 1939 and March 1941, including the day-to-day logistics and actions over-seen by the powerful German Central Emigration Office. Drawing on both German archival and Polish-language sources, Rutherford considers a subject often marginalized by historians, but one that underscores the crucial relationship between the Nazis' early anti-Polish actions and their later annihilation of the Jews. He shows in detail when, where, and how the Nazis' operations evolved into a highly efficient "science" of human roundups, expropriated property, and human cargo shipments en masse. Ultimately, the need for forced labor drove the Nazis to deport fewer Poles than they had planned. In light of the unresolved tensions between racial ideology and economic necessity, Rutherford makes a convincing argument that Nazi deportation policy vis-a-vis the Poles underwent a steady deradicalization. He concludes that, while the concept of cumulative radicalization seems to lead inevitably to the "Final Solution of the Jewish Question," it falls short of explaining all Nazi racial policies. Nevertheless, what the Nazis learned about the logistics of deportation at the expense of the non-Jewish population of western Poland was eventually put to horrific use in the mass murder of European Jewry. Without it, it's unlikely that the Holocaust would have proceeded as swiftly as it did. From that perspective, "Prelude to the Final Solution" provides a chilling portrait of the Nazis' training for genocide.

    • zofiak
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Thank you for the information on this new book.  While my mother was deported to the east my father's experiences  during the war were as a slave labourer in Germany.  He never spoke  about his experiences at all. What I know is that as a 15 year old from a very poor family in a small village it was better to 'volunteer'  than to be taken forcibly by the Germans.

        For anyone interested reading about one couple's journey from eastern Poland to slave labour in Germany and finally to Canada here is a story written by their daugher.  Born and Raised Under a Straw Roof  is by Mary Dziewiecki.

        Zosia
        Victoria,B.C.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
          Dear Zosia and Krys,

          thank you very much for information about those books. Although my
          grandparents where taken by Nazi as forced labour workers in 1943 -
          one from Warsaw, second one from Nowogrodek region (nowadays
          Belarus), for sure both of them can be interesting resource about
          conditions of such camps and people's history.
          It will be important source of information for my researches.

          Thank you once again

          Warm regards,

          Aneta Hoffmann
          Warsaw, Poland

          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, zofiak <zofiak@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for the information on this new book. While my mother was
          > deported to the east my father's experiences during the war were
          as a slave
          > labourer in Germany. He never spoke about his experiences at all.
          What I
          > know is that as a 15 year old from a very poor family in a small
          village it
          > was better to 'volunteer' than to be taken forcibly by the Germans.
          >
          > For anyone interested reading about one couple's journey from
          eastern Poland
          > to slave labour in Germany and finally to Canada here is a story
          written by
          > their daugher. Born and Raised Under a Straw Roof is by Mary
          Dziewiecki.

          > Zosia
          > Victoria,B.C.

          Deporting

          http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0700615067/ref=pe_pe_3421_5259521
          > _pe_snp_067
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/Prelude-Final-Solution-Program-
          Deporting/dp/07
          > 00615067/ref=sr_1_1/103-3028768-2208621?
          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173265786&sr=8-
> [...]
          > underwent a steady deradicalization. He concludes that, while the
          concept of
          > cumulative radicalization seems to lead inevitably to the "Final
          Solution of
          > the Jewish Question," it falls short of explaining all Nazi racial
          policies.
          > Nevertheless, what the Nazis learned about the logistics of
          deportation at
          > the expense of the non-Jewish population of western Poland was
          eventually
          > put to horrific use in the mass murder of European Jewry. Without
          it, it's
          > unlikely that the Holocaust would have proceeded as swiftly as it
          did. From
          > that perspective, "Prelude to the Final Solution" provides a
          chilling
          > portrait of the Nazis' training for genocide.

          06/03/2007