Re: Wojciak - Borszczow

  • bechta1936
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "mary allies" <maryallies@...>
      wrote:
      >Marysia
      I listened again to my mother's tape as the name Wojciak kept
      ringing the bell. She mentiones a family of sevn in our camp and
      refers to her as Pani Wojciakowa whose husband had a withered arm so
      could not work. She later met one of the daughters in a Karachi
      hospital and was told that only two children survived.
      I know it's a long shot but because we also come from Borszczow we
      might have been on same transport. Sorry, but she doesn't mention
      first names.
      Wish you luck in your search.
      Aniela
      Neew Zealand

      Hi Everybody
      > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
      parents were
      > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
      England
      > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
      years old, so
      > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
      died 6
      > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
      dream is to
      > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
      of my
      > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
      in Iwanie
      > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
      > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
      > grandparents were
      > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
      have a
      > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
      the place
      > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
      anyone has
      > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
      > Regards
      >
      > Marysia

    • mary allies
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
        Hi Aniela
        Thank you so much for your mail and for showing an interest in my family. I do not think that the Wojciak family belong to me. I do not know how many would be in the family group but I think it was my grandparents my mother Jozefa and her newly born son Tadeusz who I believe was only 10 days old. My mother said that she was unable to feed her baby so someone else with a young child fed him for her. My grandfather did not have anything wrong with his arm but my grandmother was very ill with cancer and died during transport. Could you tell me which camp you were taken to. Is it possible that people from a certain area were put on the same transport. Do you know how I find out? I believe that my father and his father were taken to Altajski Kraj, Zalesowski rej. and I think my mother and group could have been in the same area. I'm not having much joy finding anything out about my mothers family the only thing I know is that my mother, her father and her mother in law were taken to Ifunda following release. I have looked at the photo of your Mum and brother on the link. What a precious image!
        Marysia

        wrote:
        >Marysia
        I listened again to my mother's tape as the name Wojciak kept
        ringing the bell. She mentiones a family of sevn in our camp and
        refers to her as Pani Wojciakowa whose husband had a withered arm so
        could not work. She later met one of the daughters in a Karachi
        hospital and was told that only two children survived.
        I know it's a long shot but because we also come from Borszczow we
        might have been on same transport. Sorry, but she doesn't mention
        first names.
        Wish you luck in your search.
        Aniela
        Neew Zealand

        Hi Everybody
        > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
        parents were
        > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
        England
        > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
        years old, so
        > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
        died 6
        > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
        dream is to
        > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
        of my
        > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
        in Iwanie
        > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
        > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
        > grandparents were
        > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
        have a
        > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
        the place
        > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
        anyone has
        > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
        > Regards
        >
        > Marysia

      • bechta1936
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
          wrote:
          >Marysia
          In a way I am glad that it is not your family because of so many
          deaths. If your grandfather went to Ifundi then it couldn't have
          been the same. We were sent toKoja, Uganda.
          Yes, it is possible that people from same area (say Borszczow) went
          on same train. We were taken Feb. 10th.and ended up in Altaiski Kraj
          as well, but I still don't know exactly where. I know it was
          Zagaynovo, but there are two of same name in A.K., one South of
          Barnaul and the other one North of Barnaul. 17.000 Poles were
          dispersed in A.K. If I find anything further I will certainly share
          the info with you.
          By the way, the Pahlavi photo is most likely not of my mother. It
          would be a miracle and one chance in a billion if it was. We may
          never know, but it doesn't matter for that image is a symbol of ALL
          THE MOTHERS.
          Aniela

        • mary allies
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
            Hi Aniela
            My family too were taken on the 10th Feb. Sorry to ask you this but can you remember what it was like in the camp in Siberia. My mother spoke about the transportation on the train but not about what the camp was like, except that one of the Russian guards used to bring her food from his own home. I believe the work was something to do with lumbering, but again I don't really know. Sorry about the misunderstanding with the photo, but you are absolutely right, it is a symbol for all our precious mothers.
            Marysia

            wrote:
> [...]

            > > > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some
            photos
            > > of my
            > > > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents
            home
            > > in Iwanie
            > > > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
            > > > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
            > > > grandparents were
            > > > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I
            might
            > > have a
            > > > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of
            visiting
            > > the place
            > > > where my family were taken from and learn about their
            journey.If
            > > anyone has
            > > > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.

          • tadkup
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
              Hi Marysia,
              Very recently I sent an email to my Uncle Anicet with a heading
              similar to yours titled "At last I found it."
              Through this website I was able to find out about the village where
              the Lakomy family, my grandfather Jan, grandmother Katazynia my
              mother Danusia, uncles Anicet and Jozef and aunty Zenona lived and
              were deported to Siberia February 10 1940.
              The village was called Janowka Sloneczna and in the bitter cold,
              snow and ice they were transported by horse-drawn sleds to the train
              station at Iwanie Puste.
              I came across an email sent by Halina Szulakowska on this web site
              and a group of people visted the region including Janowka Sloneczna,
              Germakowka and Iwanie Puste. I found out so much by just typing the
              village name in the search field.
              I have researched my Aunty Zenona's history and produced her
              memoirs including the harrowing account of the families exile,
              escape to Persia and journey to New Zealand.
              I also wish to find out more through photos maps and the experience
              of others.
              Would love to receive information from anyone regarding that region
              of the Podole and by a quirk a fate my mothers family may have
              glimpsed your family on that train on February 10 1940 all those
              years ago.

              Tadeusz Kupidura
              tadkup@...

              wrote:

              > Hi Everybody
              > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
              parents were
              > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
              England
              > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
              years old, so
              > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
              died 6
              > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
              dream is to
              > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
              of my
              > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
              in Iwanie
              > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
              > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
              > grandparents were
              > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
              have a
              > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
              the place
              > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
              anyone has
              > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
              > Regards
              >
              > Marysia

            • z_zyma
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                Hi Mary:
                I have relatives in the Borsciv(Borszczow) area.My parents come from
                Horostkow(Chorostkow)--about 50klm north of Borsciv.I have relatives
                that live close to Borsiv-- village of Ozerjani.I was in this area
                last August and found relatives I didn't know existed.I am going back
                this Sept. and plan on staying in Horostkiv,Hlopowka for a week or
                more.I presently live in Canada.
                I may be able to help you out?? E-mail me at:
                zenmar@...
                Zenis Zyma(Zima)

                wrote:

                > Hi Everybody
                > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
                parents were
                > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
                England
                > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10 years
                old, so
                > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
                died 6
                > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
                dream is to
                > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
                of my
                > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
                in Iwanie
                > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
                > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
                > grandparents were
                > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
                have a
                > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
                the place
                > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
                anyone has
                > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
                > Regards
                >
                > Marysia

              • mary allies
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2007
                  Hi Tadeusz
                  I'm trembling from excitement after reading your e mail. I've been in contact with Slav from Ukraine who is going to travel to the Tarnopol area for me to find places and maybe some people as well. He has been unable to find where Janowka Sloneczna was and try as I might I haven't been able to find any old maps or anything. Does this village still exist? Your family must have known mine and I bet they were together on those transports. The Hoover Institute have sent me a copy of a piece of writing written by someone of the same name as my mothers family. When I read it I realised it was written by my aunt who would have been about 15 at the time.She talks about Janowka Sloneczna and what happened when the Russian soldiers came. It's facinating. I'm translating it at the moment. The style of writing is difficult to read so it's taking a while. If you want a copy of this I'm very happy to send it to you. After all, we're just one big family, all trying to find out the same things. I will also try and contact Halina perhaps she can tell me more. I am going to Ukraine hopefully in September this year. Slav is going to act as guide, which is why it's important for him to have as much information as possible about places and people. If I can do anything for you while I'm there just ask, even if it's only taking some photos. The memoirs you have produced, are they in text format, is it possible to read them? Tadeusz, do you know where your family were taken to in Siberia. I know my paternal grandfather was in Altajski Kraj somewhere and wondered if the rest of my family were there also. Sorry for my ramblings and questions, but I'm so hungry for knowledge!
                  Marysia

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Everybody
                  > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
                  parents were
                  > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
                  England
                  > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
                  years old, so
                  > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
                  died 6
                  > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
                  dream is to
                  > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
                  of my
                  > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
                  in Iwanie
                  > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
                  > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
                  > grandparents were
                  > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
                  have a
                  > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
                  the place
                  > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
                  anyone has
                  > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Marysia

                • Michelle Moffatt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 13, 2007
                    My grandparents are from Janowka tarnopol area.  i do not know about the Slonecza name.  I do know that Janowka is SW of Tarnopol.  I have a  few old maps that I can se eif there is another Janowka by that name.

                    michelle

                    tadkup@hotmail. com

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Everybody
                    > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
                    parents were
                    > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
                    England
                    > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
                    years old, so
                    > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
                    died 6
                    > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
                    dream is to
                    > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
                    of my
                    > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
                    in Iwanie
                    > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
                    > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
                    > grandparents were
                    > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
                    have a
                    > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
                    the place
                    > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
                    anyone has
                    > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Marysia

                  • Tad Kupidura
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 13, 2007
                      Hi Michelle,
                       Thankyou very much for repling.
                       I have already found out that Janowka is a locality in the Tarnopol district north of my mothers village.
                       The village of Janowka Slonecza was near the town of Zaleszczyki on the banks of the Dniestr river on the border of Romania prewar Poland.
                      Unfortunately the village was destroyed and only three houses remain.
                      I am trying to locate accurate maps and photos of the vilage and region.
                      Janowka Slowecza was located between the town of Germakowka and Iwanie Puste.
                      Thanks again.

                      wrote:

                      > Hi Everybody
                      > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
                      parents were
                      > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
                      England
                      > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
                      years old, so
                      > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
                      died 6
                      > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
                      dream is to
                      > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
                      of my
                      > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
                      in Iwanie
                      > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
                      > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
                      > grandparents were
                      > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
                      have a
                      > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
                      the place
                      > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
                      anyone has
                      > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Marysia

                    • Tad Kupidura
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 13, 2007
                        Hi Maraysia,
                        I knew it would be a matter of time before someone replied . . . but not so soon.
                        I also wish to travel to the Ukraine to the area where my mother and her family lived on their farm.
                        My mother occassionally mentions little snippets of information from her memory but now finds it too hard to talk about her experiences in detail.
                        My grandfather was better prepared that most with food on the long train journey journey and was even able to persude the Russian soldiers to bring along a sewing machine. My grandmother sewed for everyone in the camp.
                        I still don't know the name of the camp where the family were taken to but I believe it was in Novosibirisk where my grandfather cut and loaded trees.
                        The rest of the story can be found in my Aunties memoirs which I will send to you.
                         Can you send me your address via my email address tadkupid@....
                        So pleased we made contact and will hear from you soon.

                        Tadeusz

                        wrote:

                        > Hi Everybody
                        > It's with great excitement and hope that I join your group. My
                        parents were
                        > deported from eastern Poland to Siberia and eventually ended up in
                        England
                        > where I and my sister were born. My father died when I was 10
                        years old, so
                        > I never had the opportunity to ask him about his life. My mother
                        died 6
                        > years ago and wouldn't talk about what had really happened. My
                        dream is to
                        > research and discover my roots. I have an address and some photos
                        of my
                        > mother taken in Ifunda in Africa. The address was her parents home
                        in Iwanie
                        > Puste , Germakowa, Borszczow, which I now know to be in the
                        > Ukraine.Myparents were named Jan and Jozefa Nawara, my maternal
                        > grandparents were
                        > Maria and Michal Wojcik. At last with your group, I feel I might
                        have a
                        > starting point where I can learn and fulfil my dream of visiting
                        the place
                        > where my family were taken from and learn about their journey.If
                        anyone has
                        > any advice on how to proceed, I would love to hear from you.
                        > Regards
                        >
                        > Marysia

                      • tpolewski
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 14, 2007
                          Hi Marysia, read your note and see that you will use Slav as your
                          tourguide. I assume it is Slav from ecotour. In August of '05 he took
                          myself, a cousin and aunt to our family Osada of Hallerowa which lies
                          east of Rowno near Szubkow on the Horyn River. We owe so much to him
                          in our travels there. He speaks fluent English, of course Ukrainian
                          and Polish and it was because of this we managed to find an old
                          schoolmate of my aunts who not only took us to where the old farm was
                          but remembered about how the farm changed hands after the forced
                          departure in Feb '40. I hope you have as much luck as we did in going
                          back.

                          Terry Polewski--- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "mary allies"

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 18, 2007
                            Hi Marysia
                            We would love to post your translation of your Aunt's story on our website as an aid to other members.
                            Stefan Wisniowski
                            MODERATOR

                            .