Re: Dziecko What Do You See?

  • beatahanks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2007
      Dear Hania

      When reading your beautiful poem, the words and meaning evoked such a
      longing, why I do not know as I was born and brought up here in
      England. My mother and her family went through the same ordeal that
      fateful February all those years ago, she is now 80 and has
      Alzheimer's, but before the disease took over her mind, she would,
      when pushed, tell us some of things that happened to her and her
      family. When we were young and didn't want to finish our meals she
      would say " dam ci Rosję na tydzien to nawet szczury zjesz!"

      My mother comes from a family of 10 children all but one Andrzej,
      survived the war. My grandparents and the younger children came via
      Tengeru to England and housed at the East Moor camp in Yorkshire, they
      eventually settled in Leeds. My mother and two of her brothers joined
      Gen. Anders army as cadets and were sent to Palestine. Mum eventually
      was promoted to Sergeant in the WAAF and stationed at RAF Newton in
      Nottinghamshire. Her brother Mietek fought at Monte Cassino and until
      his death last year, carried a bullet near his spine, as a memento.

      Every six weeks or so, my parents would take my sister and I to Leeds
      to visit the family and oh boy was it rowdy. The food was non stop,
      the songs were non stop the joy at being together was only tempered by
      the underlying sadness of the lost years. My one regret is that I did
      not listen closely when they talked about the deportation to Russia.

      Thank you for the poem.

      Regards,

      Beata