Re: Searches in Lwów

  • ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
      Linder and Janek,
      Yes it is difficult to access some of the sites and they are in Ukrainian or Russian only.
      POSHUK site gives details of four tiurmy (jails) used in Lwów in 1939 on. Victor Sosnickij invites questions and hopes to answer them. In his Forum there are a number of requests written in Polish, but none in English.
      His main site is at  http://vsosnickij.narod.ru and it is related to the Memorial Society's results and postings. They apparently have a CD as well. I am hoping to study more about this site and try to obtain the Russian CD which has two sections about Polish osadnikach deported to USSR.
      I think only perseverance gets one into these sites as they are very difficult to get into and are slow loading.
      antoni530
    • ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Linder, good luck in your efforts and hopefully it will be fruitful.
        There is just one observation I have and it is this; I am not sure what was your father's surname whilst in Russia. You think, I believe, it to be Стакгнык -Stakhnyk ( or similar) which is Ukrainian spelling.
        Please look at the following All Russia 'Index Represjonowanych' published by Memorial Society listing of the Repressed from 1929 to1953 period and although the list is not complete, but it represents millions of people. The nearest name is СТАКНИС - only one such name in the whole index.It is worth following up to see to whom it belongs.It is an unusual name and although there are people in USA and Canada with this name, it is possible that this one in Russian database might belong to you. Who knows?
        To find the list go to www.lists.memo.ru  and look on the left side of the page quite low down, at letter С   and sub --section Спр-Ста of the list. This publication is more extensive than Karta, but it is in cyrillic and as I understand you- also a number of other members- can access it.
        antoni530
      • Anne Kaczanowski
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007

          Antoni I don't know if I've missed something in these conversations or not but when Iook up my name in cyrillic on this Index of repressed  it shows there are 17 . Качановский (17) How would one find out more on these 17 names?

          hania

          ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI <askazimierski@...> wrote:
[...]

          Be a PS3 game guru.

        • Kenneth Fedzin
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Anne Kaczanowski
            <annekaczanowski@...> wrote:

            > Antoni I don't know if I've missed something in these conversations or
            not but when Iook up my name in cyrillic on this Index of repressed it
            shows there are 17 . How would one find out more on these 17 names?

            > hania

            Hi Hania,

            I also had a problem trying to get the names on the right side to match
            up. By chance I discovered that if you click and drag across the surname
            to highlight it, then click on it again all the surnames, 17 in your
            case, will appear on the right side of the screen.

            Regards,

            Ken Fedzin
          • Anne Kaczanowski
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
              You're right it works today...but I could not get this the other day. Thanks.

              <annekaczanowski@ ...> wrote:

              > Antoni I don't know if I've missed something in these conversations or
              not but when Iook up my name in cyrillic on this Index of repressed it
              shows there are 17 . How would one find out more on these 17 names?

              > hania

              Hi Hania,

              I also had a problem trying to get the names on the right side to match
              up. By chance I discovered that if you click and drag across the surname
              to highlight it, then click on it again all the surnames, 17 in your
              case, will appear on the right side of the screen.

              Regards,

              Ken Fedzin

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.