Searches in Lwow

  • ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 28, 2007
      An interesting site of POSZUK -in cooperation with Memorial in Lwów.
      www.poshuk-lviv.org.ua  and one can write and ask 'Wiktor' re arrests, etc. in Lwów,Tarnopol,Drohobycz and Stanisławów areas. See Visitors Book.
       Many other interests and a facility to translate into English.
      antoni530
    • John Roy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2007
        Antoni can you open the page in English?

        Janek

        ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI wrote:
        > An interesting site of POSZUK -in cooperation with Memorial in Lwów.
        > www.poshuk-lviv.org.ua and one can write and ask 'Wiktor' re arrests, etc. in Lwów,Tarnopol,Drohobycz and Stanislawów areas. See Visitors Book.
        > Many other interests and a facility to translate into English.
        > antoni530

      • lulu
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
          Dear Antoni, "lulu" again needing your help.

          I have tried to navigate the Lviv website and use the translation facility in order to find out any further information regarding the arrest of my grandfather but it does not work so well. Only some words are translated.

          Are you able to tell me what kind of information is accessible from the site? I am looking for anything that might indicate where/what happended to him after his arrest by the NKVD in Lwow and internment in Prison No.1 (Lacki?) on 9 April 1940. The Indeks last record of him is dated 17 May 1940. I have written and emailed Karta several times but no reply.

          Any other suggestions I would be most grateful.

          Louise Błażejowska
          Sydney, Australia

        • ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2007
            Lulu and Linder,
            The site POSHUK is at e-mail poshuk-lviv@...  and address your questions to Pani Fedoszak,Inna Victorovna
            - ФЕДОШАК Инна Викторовна.
            There are many lists and documents about arrests and repression generally, but above all the lists of people shot by NKVD in 1939 and 1941 in individual jails in Lwow and nearby.For instance in jail no 1- Loncko jail 721 people were shot  on 24th to28th June 1941. This is the jail you mentioned originally.Jail no 2 -Lwowskie 500 shot.
            Jail no 3 in Zoloczewski Zamek 485 shot and in Jail no 4 at St Brigitki, a further 326 people disposed off by NKVD ; all in the same period in June 1941. Many,many died in other places in the vicinity of the City and in Western Ukraine generally. There seems to be a lot of documentation about the tortures and victims generaly. I am sure this site will be valuable to many. Please give full details about the person you are asking for and not forgetting the patronymic names.
            antoni530

          • Linder Ladbrooke
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2007
              Antoni,

              You are AMAZING!! I don'tknow how you do it!! You are the best thing since sliced bread!! I will write straight away in Ukr to them.
              Linder
            • lulu
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
                Dear Pan Kazimierski

                Thank you again for your help.

                My grandfather, Aleksander Błażejowski, was born in Lwow on 12 May 1890.
                His father was Dr Bronisław Błażejowski.

                My grandfather was arrested by the NKVD at his home on 32 Batory Street,
                Lwow on 9 April 1940 and was never seen alive again. My great Aunty, who
                has since passed away told me some years ago that she believed he was
                interned in Brygidki Prison. It was on this basis that I went to Lwow in the
                mid 1990s and went to Brygidki but as it was an operational prison and not
                very inviting I did not feel comfortable trying to approach them about any
                records relating to my father.

                My granfather's entry on the Indeks Represjonawanych states that he was in
                Lwow nr 1. It also mentions that he was sentenced on 17 May 1940. As my
                Polish is poor I have been unable to translate the rest of the document. I
                have attached the direct link.

                http://www.indeks.karta.org.pl/szczegoly.asp?id=121648

                My grandmother had no contact with him after his arrest. There was some talk
                that he was taken with a group of prisoners to Kherson/Cherson but died on
                the way. This information was never confirmed.

                I would be most grateful for your help.

                Louise Błażejowska
                Sydney, Australia

                3:16 PM
              • anetahoffmann
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Dear Louise,
                  as Polish is my mother tongue, I can help you and translate the index
                  from Karta about your grandfather. It's list of documents where your
                  grandfather is mentioned in Karta archives. The sentence was done, as
                  you mentioned, on 17 May 1940.

                  Let me know if you need my assistance

                  With kind regards

                  Aneta Hoffmann, Warsaw

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "lulu" <l.blazejowska@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dear Pan Kazimierski
                  >
                  > Thank you again for your help.
                  >
                  > My grandfather, Aleksander B³a¿ejowski, was born in Lwow on 12 May
                  1890.
                  > His father was Dr Bronis³aw B³a¿ejowski.
                  >
                  > My grandfather was arrested by the NKVD at his home on 32 Batory
                  Street,
                  > Lwow on 9 April 1940 and was never seen alive again. My great
                  Aunty, who
                  > has since passed away told me some years ago that she believed he
                  was
                  > interned in Brygidki Prison. It was on this basis that I went to
                  Lwow in the
                  > mid 1990s and went to Brygidki but as it was an operational prison
                  and not
                  > very inviting I did not feel comfortable trying to approach them
                  about any
                  > records relating to my father.
                  >
                  > My granfather's entry on the Indeks Represjonawanych states that he
                  was in
                  > Lwow nr 1. It also mentions that he was sentenced on 17 May 1940.
                  As my
                  > Polish is poor I have been unable to translate the rest of the
                  document. I
                  > have attached the direct link.
                  >
                  > http://www.indeks.karta.org.pl/szczegoly.asp?id=121648
                  >
                  > My grandmother had no contact with him after his arrest. There was
                  some talk
                  > that he was taken with a group of prisoners to Kherson/Cherson but
                  died on
                  > the way. This information was never confirmed.
                  >
                  > I would be most grateful for your help.
                  >

                  > Louise B³a¿ejowska
                  > Sydney, Australia
                  >
                  > --
                  31/01/2007
                  > 3:16 PM

                • Anne Kaczanowski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Louise...you're the first person to mention your father was taken to Kherson.  My father was also taken there in January 1940 from Kowel and transferred from there to a prison camp in Arkhangelska in July 1940.  Do you know anymore about Kherson( Cherson) near Odessa.

                    hania

                    lulu <l.blazejowska@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy-siberia.org

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:Kresy-Siberia-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:Kresy-Siberia-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Need Mail bonding?

                  • lulu
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Dear Hania

                      My heart just stopped when I read your email.

                      No, I know nothing about Kherson, except where it is on the map. And I have never heard, until now, of anyone else whose family was taken there. I was beginning to think it might have been a furphy.  Whenever I have mentioned it to people in Poland as a destination people might have been taken to it just drew blank looks. I thought my grandmother might have been told this to cover up the real explanation for his whereabouts.

                      Do you know any more? I don't even know if he got there. So far, the document trail on my grandfather stops dead in Lwow.  He was sentenced there on 17 May 1940.

                      But my grandmother was told that he was taken thereafter to Kherson. I have contemplated going there to try and find out more but looks like a big city! And why were they going there - to be transported East like your father?

                      Louise Błażejowska
                      Sydney, Australia

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Dear Aneta

                        If you can help me with the translation I would be MOST grateful.

                        Louise Błażejowska
                        Sydney, Australia