Osada Wolakrybutowiecka; family surname: Norek

  • Donald Dudley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2001
      I have been away for the past couple of weeks visiting my mother and
      aunt in Buffalo New York. Their family grew up in the eastern
      borderlands and I was able to obtain more stories during my visit.
      My grandfather, Jan Norek ( a military settler), owned a farm
      approximately 3km. from Osada Wolakrybutowiecka and 5 km from
      Wisnowiec. He joined General Ander's army to escape the Soviet Union
      and was able to get his family out safely.

      Does anyone on the list have relatives who settled in this general vicinity?

      I plan to take a field trip to Stanford to take a look at the papers
      of General Anders and would be glad to look up information for others
      while there. I also greatly appreciate Irene Czernichowska's
      assistance in working at the Hoover Institute Archives.

      Don Dudley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2001
        Irene has looked for my family's specific names, and has sent me info on one
        of them (Stanislawa Wisniowska).

        Don, when you go to the Hoover, I would appreciate your help in finding
        anything at all in the Hoover referring to the settlement of WARSZAWKA.
        This was a civilian settlement 6km north of BRODY, set up in the early
        1920's by Polish settlers who purchased their land. I understand that the
        majority of them were deported on 10 Feb 1940.

        I believe that there are several sources of information in the archives
        there, including files organised by Powiat (county) and Wojewódstwo
        (voivodship) of origin. Perhaps Irene can give us all some advice on this?
        Australia