Re: Welcome Simon; and possibility of hospital records?

  • simonmrzsp
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hi Elzunia

      Thanks for the offer on the film, but I have just received a copy
      from another kind source. I will look out for your mother when I
      watch it.

      On photos, I am afraid I don't have a photo of my father during the
      war. I do have one of him shortly before the war with his skis, I
      could add that, but I am not sure that he is recognisable out of
      uniform.

      What I have just received, is a copy of a paper he wrote on the
      typhus epidemic in Tehran April/May 1942. I can't find any evidence
      that he managed to get it published although his diary suggests he
      went to great trouble over it, perhaps there was some sensitivity
      over its contents. In the introduction he gives some of the story of
      the circumstances of the epidemic based on interviews with his
      patients. I have transcribed that part and could put it on the file
      section but I am not sure if that is OK as it appear to be nearly
      full.

      Simon

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Olsson"
      <elzunia@...> wrote:

      > Hi Simon
      > Well we seem to be in the right hospital and the right time, so
      they might
      > have met.
      > And it's thanks to people like your father that she did survive to
      be a
      > still-going-strong 82 year old!
      > By the way she lost all her hair too, not sure if that was because
      of
      > illness or malnutrition, probably a combination of both.
      > Actually, you can see my mother on film telling her story of the
      deportation
      > and life in the army. If you send me your address I'll get a copy
      to you.
      > Do you have any photos of your father's that you could upload to the
      > Gallery?
      > http://www.kresy-siberia.org/gallery/
      > <http://www.kresy-siberia.org/gallery/>
      > they would be interesting, taken from the perspective of the
      medical staff.
      > Some of our "survivors" might recognise someone.
      >
      > pozdrowienia
      > Elzunia Olsson
      > Sweden
      > Gallery Administrator

      <snip>
    • jagna8@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 4, 2006

        Simon, Elzunia#s film is not the same as the Odyssey - it's called Pestki, and has different testimonies.
        Jagna
      • simonmrzsp
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, jagna8@... wrote:

          > Simon, Elzunia#s film is not the same as the Odyssey - it's called
          Pestki, and has different testimonies.
          > Jagna

          Thank you for letting me know Jagna, I will contact Elzunia off list.
          Simon
        • Barbara Jachowicz Davoust
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 5, 2006
            Thanks Simon for putting in your father's paper about the typus epidemic.
            The suspected geographical origins of the epidemic confirms what my
            mother told me. She had started to go south from their camp in order
            to join the army, although she was 16. It was after Margelan, near
            Guzar, that she caught typhus while waiting to go sign up. She told me
            that in her case, the main symptoms were not only terrible weakness
            but she was totally deaf. She was still in this condition when she had
            to walk to the recruitment centre and undergo the medical. Her hearing
            came back the time of the examination. She claims the doctor took one
            look at her and realized she was seriously ill. He asked her to show
            him her legs to see if they were straight, said, "Oh fine, your legs
            are straight, you can join the army" and let her go.
            She then had to walk back to where they were staying -- about 14
            kilometres -- and wait to be registered. Her deafness disappeared
            after several more days.

            Barbara Davoust
            Toulouse, France
          • simonmrzsp
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 5, 2006
              Thank you for sharing your mother's story Barbara, how extraordinary
              that she managed to walk 14 km with typhus!

              In the clinical section, my father notes deafness amongst the
              complications of typhus:
              "Impaired hearing – of various degrees, usually bilateral, without
              evidence of middle ear disease. Nineteen cases. This often came on
              early in the disease and lasted three to four weeks"

              One thing that I thought came across was that he was unsure if the
              story would be belived.

              Simon

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Jachowicz Davoust"
              <b.davoust@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Simon for putting in your father's paper about the typus
              epidemic.
              > The suspected geographical origins of the epidemic confirms what my
              > mother told me. She had started to go south from their camp in order
              > to join the army, although she was 16. It was after Margelan, near
              > Guzar, that she caught typhus while waiting to go sign up. She told
              me
              > that in her case, the main symptoms were not only terrible weakness
              > but she was totally deaf. She was still in this condition when she
              had
              > to walk to the recruitment centre and undergo the medical. Her
              hearing
              > came back the time of the examination. She claims the doctor took
              one
              > look at her and realized she was seriously ill. He asked her to show
              > him her legs to see if they were straight, said, "Oh fine, your legs
              > are straight, you can join the army" and let her go.
              > She then had to walk back to where they were staying -- about 14
              > kilometres -- and wait to be registered. Her deafness disappeared
              > after several more days.
              >
              > Barbara Davoust
              > Toulouse, France

            • Elizabeth Olsson
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 5, 2006

                I hope she got treatment for her typhus once she got to the army, Barbara!

                It’s terrible that she couldn’t get help right away even though the doctor “realized she was seriously ill”!

                It’s amazing that so many people actually survived.

                pozdrowienia

                Elzunia Olsson

                Sweden

                <b.davoust@. ..> wrote:

                > Thanks Simon for putting in your father's paper about the typus
                epidemic.
                > The suspected geographical origins of the epidemic confirms what my
                > mother told me. She had started to go south from their camp in order
                > to join the army, although she was 16. It was after Margelan, near
                > Guzar, that she caught typhus while waiting to go sign up. She told
                me
                > that in her case, the main symptoms were not only terrible weakness
                > but she was totally deaf. She was still in this condition when she
                had
                > to walk to the recruitment centre and undergo the medical. Her
                hearing
                > came back the time of the examination. She claims the doctor took
                one
                > look at her and realized she was seriously ill. He asked her to show
                > him her legs to see if they were straight, said, "Oh fine, your legs
                > are straight, you can join the army" and let her go.
                > She then had to walk back to where they were staying -- about 14
                > kilometres -- and wait to be registered. Her deafness disappeared
                > after several more days.
                >
                > Barbara Davoust
                > Toulouse, France

              • Barbara Jachowicz Davoust
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Actually, she was never treated as far as I know, certainly never
                  hospitalized. She says she remained deaf for about a week. After they
                  were accepted in the army and were given food and uniforms, she
                  probably improved. She did catch jaundice and malaria a while later
                  too. Many years later in Canada when doctors or secretarial staff in
                  hospitals would ask what illnesses she had had in her life, they had a
                  hard time believing her!

                  I think the doctors were just trying to accept as many people as
                  possible and had no time for any kind of care. There were no medical
                  facilities, it was just a camp set up for those who were trying to
                  join the army.

                  Barbara