Introducing my photo album

  • halina1933
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
      Dear fellow Members,
      I am a second generation Pole, brought up in London, and both my
      parents were deported from Poland as young children in 1940. I have
      belonged to this group for about a year, during which time I have
      learnt so much about our common heritage and have enjoyed reading
      about the experiences of people now scattered throughout the world.

      I would like to contribute to the group by sharing a photo album in
      The Gallery which tells the story of both my parents' odysseys. I have
      included some interesting photographs of Koja camp in Uganda, where my
      mother's family lived before eventually coming to England. Similarly
      I have some photos of my father who was in the Junaki (Cadets) in
      Persia as it was known then, and Palestine. He too eventually settled
      in England. As you will see from the photographs both my parents
      finished their education in England. They met and married in London
      where they lived for the rest of their lives.

      My mother's name was Halina Stanislawska and my father's name was
      Zbigniew Lewczynski. I know quite a lot about my mother's
      experiences. I still have very vivid memories as a child of listening
      to my mother, aunts and grandmother chatting together in the kitchen
      about what had happened to them. I was enthralled by their stories,
      which is perhaps why it is so important for me to belong to a group
      such as this one.

      Please let me know if you can recognise anybody from the photographs,
      or if you can identify any of the locations. I do remember my father
      mentioning being in Beirut for example, so I don't know if any of the
      photos might be of Lebanon. I am still sorting through my parents'
      personal possessions so I will add anything else of interest that I
      come across.

      Pozdrawiam Was wszystkich,

      Ewa Lewczynska Wilson
    • Aniela Crook
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
        Halina,
        Thanks for sharing your photos.  I have been trying to describe our church in Koja but all I could see in my mind  was the altar and the enormous columns.
        Many a times I fainted from the heat and incense.... and of course, the crowds. And the girls! Those bows plonked on top of our heads were certeinly de rigueur in Koja - at least they added class to our Red Cross dresses.
        So thanks again - Aniela
        .
        halina1933 <e.wilson@...> wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Yahoo! Music: Check out the gig guide for live music in your area

      • julia garwolinska

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "halina1933" <e.wilson@...> wrote:

            > Dear fellow Members,
            > I am a second generation Pole, brought up in London, and both my
            > parents were deported from Poland as young children in 1940. I have
            > belonged to this group for about a year, during which time I have
            > learnt so much about our common heritage and have enjoyed reading
            > about the experiences of people now scattered throughout the world.
            >
            > I would like to contribute to the group by sharing a photo album in
            > The Gallery which tells the story of both my parents' odysseys. I have
            > included some interesting photographs of Koja camp in Uganda, where my
            > mother's family lived before eventually coming to England. Similarly
            > I have some photos of my father who was in the Junaki (Cadets) in
            > Persia as it was known then, and Palestine. He too eventually settled
            > in England. As you will see from the photographs both my parents
            > finished their education in England. They met and married in London
            > where they lived for the rest of their lives.
            >
            > My mother's name was Halina Stanislawska and my father's name was
            > Zbigniew Lewczynski. I know quite a lot about my mother's
            > experiences. I still have very vivid memories as a child of listening
            > to my mother, aunts and grandmother chatting together in the kitchen
            > about what had happened to them. I was enthralled by their stories,
            > which is perhaps why it is so important for me to belong to a group
            > such as this one.
            >
            > Please let me know if you can recognise anybody from the photographs,
            > or if you can identify any of the locations. I do remember my father
            > mentioning being in Beirut for example, so I don't know if any of the
            > photos might be of Lebanon. I am still sorting through my parents'
            > personal possessions so I will add anything else of interest that I
            > come across.
            >
            > Pozdrawiam Was wszystkich,
            >
            > Ewa Lewczynska Wilson

            Dear Eva,
            Thank you for sharing your photographs. They must be very precious to
            you. There is one photograph which you say is of senior military
            personnel. My husband thinks that as they are of different ranks,
            they are probably teachers.
            Best wishes.
            Ann Drozdowska
          • Michael Kulik
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "halina1933" <e.wilson@...> wrote:

              > Dear fellow Members,
              > I am a second generation Pole, brought up in London, and both my
              > parents were deported from Poland as young children in 1940..
              >
              > I have included some interesting photographs of Koja camp in Uganda,
              where my mother's family lived before eventually coming to England.
              Similarly I have some photos of my father who was in the Junaki
              (Cadets) in Persia as it was known then, and Palestine. >
              > Pozdrawiam Was wszystkich,
              >
              > Ewa Lewczynska Wilson

              Hi Ewa,

              I don't recognise anyone from the photos, but I share some common
              threads...

              My Aunt (Alina Kulik) was also in Kojo Camp

              My Father (Bogdan Kulik) was also in the Junaks & at the very same
              Naval College at Landywood, Staffs, England between 1945-1947. Again he
              was also at Lilford Hall between 1947/8.

              If you check the photo Gallery, you should find a small selection of
              photos from this period in my album. Antoni Kazimierski also a member
              of this group is very knowledgeable about these and other locations in
              the Middle East.

              Michael Kulik
              Walsall
              England
              (Temporarily connected to his computer & having a rest from DIY)
            • krysdobrzanski
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13, 2006
                Hello Ewa,

                Welcome to the group! I apologise for not welcoming you before but my father has recently died and my mind is otherwise occupied at the moment.

                I have greatly enjoyed looking through your photo album and quite to my surprise I have found my late uncle, Jozef Starzak pictured with your father at Landywood Naval College. On page 10, in "Landywood Naval College..." Jozef is standing fourth from the right of the picture and on page 11 in "a group of friends", Jozef is standing behind your father, i.e. at the extreme right of the picture.

                Jozef (1928-1985), together with my mother Maria (b.1931) spent their time in the orphanage in Tengeru, Africa, ( Mum until 1948, Jozef until 1944) whilst their elder brother, Janek (1926-1958) was evacuated from Siberia to Teheran as a Junak. I am sending Mum the picture of "Young boys with staff..." in the hope that she may recognise her elder brother Janek amongst this large group, I will keep you posted!

                I would also like to direct you to my photo album so that you can see my photo of Jozef at Landywood College in 1947 to compare with your father's photos. I am 99.9% certain that it is Jozef in your picture.

                Many thanks Ewa for submitting your pictures, it has made my day to at last find someone that may have had links with my Mum's family!

                With warmest regards,

                Krys
                (Ipswich, UK)