Compensation poll results

  • Stefan Wisniowski (Phoenix)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
      The results of this member poll were recently sent to the group, but unfortunately the version that went out listed individual member e-mails.

      Because this could result in future spam, I apologise for this oversight and have deleted that e-mail from the website. I request that you delete it from your inbox as well.
      Here are the results of the poll, this time without identifying the voters:

      POLL QUESTION: COMPENSATION FOR LOSS OF LIFE, LIBERTY AND PROPERTY

      During WW2 hundreds of thousands Polish citizens living in the Kresy (eastern Poland) were violently seized and deported for forced labour by the Soviet occupation regime. Their property was seized by the Soviet state.

      Polish citizens subjected to forced labour by Nazi Germany later received compensation from Germany.  However, after the war the governments of Poland and the USSR agreed that the Polish state would be responsible for compensating its citizens for their lost property in the east.

      Some Polish citizens who lost their land in the east received property "reclaimed" from Germany in the west, especially those who were relocated from their land after the war. But many did not get compensation, especially those who did not return from war-time exile due to the repressive communist regime.

      * It is proposed that those citizens who did not return to Poland after the war should still receive compensation for their stolen property.

      * It is also proposed that, as part of it's "recognition" mandate, the Kresy-Siberia Group could get involved in helping people get some form of compensation.

      * It is also proposed that a sub-group of motivated members should come together to accomplish this purpose.

      CHOICES AND RESULTS
      - Yes, I DO believe that Polish citizens no longer in Poland still deserve to be compensated for their losses., 41 of 42 votes
      - No, I DO NOT believe that Polish citizens no longer in Poland still deserve to be compensated for their losses., 1 of 42 votes
      - Yes, I DO believe that the Kresy-Siberia Group should act to help get compensation for the citizens who did not receive any, 31 of 36 votes
      - No, I DO NOT believe that the Kresy-Siberia Group should act to help get compensation for the citizens who did not receive any, 5 of 36 votes
      - Yes, I AM willing and able to participate in such an action, 17 of 26 votes
      - No, I AM NOT willing or able to participate in such an action, 9 of 26 votes

      - Yes, I COULD provide family information in support of a claim, 26 of 36 votes
      - No, I COULD NOT provide family information in support of a claim, 10 of 36 votes

    • l.blazejowska
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2006
        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Wisniowski
        \(Phoenix\)" <swisniowski@...> wrote:

        > The results of this member poll were recently sent to the group,
        but unfortunately the version that went out listed individual member
        e-mails.

        > Because this could result in future spam, I apologise for this
        oversight and have deleted that e-mail from the website. I request
        that you delete it from your inbox as well.
        > Here are the results of the poll, this time without identifying
        the voters:

        > POLL QUESTION: COMPENSATION FOR LOSS OF LIFE, LIBERTY AND PROPERTY
        >
        > During WW2 hundreds of thousands Polish citizens living in the
        Kresy (eastern Poland) were violently seized and deported for forced
        labour by the Soviet occupation regime. Their property was seized by
        the Soviet state.

        > Polish citizens subjected to forced labour by Nazi Germany later
        received compensation from Germany. However, after the war the
        governments of Poland and the USSR agreed that the Polish state
        would be responsible for compensating its citizens for their lost
        property in the east.

        > Some Polish citizens who lost their land in the east received
        property "reclaimed" from Germany in the west, especially those who
        were relocated from their land after the war. But many did not get
        compensation, especially those who did not return from war-time
        exile due to the repressive communist regime.

        > * It is proposed that those citizens who did not return to Poland
        after the war should still receive compensation for their stolen
        property.

        > * It is also proposed that, as part of it's "recognition" mandate,
        the Kresy-Siberia Group could get involved in helping people get
        some form of compensation.

        > * It is also proposed that a sub-group of motivated members should
        come together to accomplish this purpose.

        > CHOICES AND RESULTS
        > - Yes, I DO believe that Polish citizens no longer in Poland still
        deserve to be compensated for their losses., 41 of 42 votes
        > - No, I DO NOT believe that Polish citizens no longer in Poland
        still deserve to be compensated for their losses., 1 of 42 votes

        > - Yes, I DO believe that the Kresy-Siberia Group should act to
        help get compensation for the citizens who did not receive any, 31
        of 36 votes
        > - No, I DO NOT believe that the Kresy-Siberia Group should act to
        help get compensation for the citizens who did not receive any, 5 of
        36 votes

        > - Yes, I AM willing and able to participate in such an action, 17
        of 26 votes
        > - No, I AM NOT willing or able to participate in such an action, 9
        of 26 votes

        > - Yes, I COULD provide family information in support of a claim,
        26 of 36 votes
        > - No, I COULD NOT provide family information in support of a
        claim, 10 of 36 votes

        Dear Stefan, Is it still possible to vote? I am keen to explore the
        aspect of compensation but am in two minds about the issue. On the
        one hand, I would like to pursue it and have made several attempts
        for the last decade on behalf of my grandmother who dies in 1994,
        who wrote to Mr Brezhnev many years ago demanding compensation for
        loss of property (a 4 storey apartment building in Lwow), loss of
        rent etc (there was a restaurant on the ground floor). She kept, and
        I still have, the title deeds to the building, and a signed letter
        of confiscation from the NKVD detailing all their belongings that
        were taken (jewellry, paintings, silverware, carpets etc). I have
        sent this at least twice to the Procurator General in the Ukraine
        (in Ukrainian) but of course have never received a reply.On the
        other hand, my father had a much more fatalistic attitude - what is
        done is done. I also had the opportunity of meeting all the families
        now living in the building when I visited Lwow in the mid 90's (it
        must have been a very beautiful building in its time) and certainly
        the families there were not well off. Even if no money came of it,
        and I never expect there to be, I do feel, however that some
        recognition should be given to the fact that peoples homes were
        stolen from them and their family ties ruptured. For me, as the next
        generation on, it is about having some acknowledgement of my roots.
        My most happy moment was finding the Blazejowski family grave in the
        Lyczakow Cemetary in Lwow containing my great, great grandfather and
        his descendants remains. There are no remains of my grandfather, who
        was arrested by the NKVD and never seen again, nor my great
        grandfather who died in Semipalatinsk. I am grateful for that much
        if that is all that will be. Louise Blazejowska.
      • Louise Blazejowska
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2006

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
            Dear Louise,

            Sorry, it is too late to vote, but never too late to express your feelings.  Though it was not unanimous, the poll resulted in a majority of members voting that they:

            1. DO believe that Polish citizens no longer in Poland still deserve to be compensated for their losses.
            2. DO believe that the Kresy-Siberia Group should act to help get compensation for the citizens who did not receive any.
            3. ARE willing and able to participate in such an action.
            4. COULD provide family information in support of a claim.

            Would any of these members like to organise an appropriate action group and get going? There is a Polish law that expires in 2008 that makes provision precisely for such compensation, though it is purely a nominal 20% of the estimated value. I can provide further details if desired.

            Australia
            MODERATOR

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
              Good day

              Is the "estimated value" the current value or the value of the properties when the people were  deported?
              What about interest if "estimated value" refers to the value of the properties at the date of deportation?

              Jane

              Dear Stefan, Is it still possible to vote? I am keen to explore the
              aspect of compensation but am in two minds about the issue....

              Dear Stefan, Is it still possible to vote? I am keen to explore the
              aspect of compensation but am in two minds about the issue. ,_._,___

              Disclaimer: http://www.sabc.co.za/disclaimer/emaildisclaimer.htm

            • Stefan Wisniowski (Phoenix)
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
                Current value, based on a comparison of the property with land now in Poland in a similar setting (e.g. Lwow = Krakow).