Re: FW: thoughts on the poll

  • fourthskorpion
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
      Greetings all!

      My two cents worth to the debate. What do the Polish history books
      call this period if anything? A couple of days ago I did see a Polish
      medal honouring the '1939-1989 Repression' but have lost the web
      reference to it? Does anyone know anything about the medal? What it
      is awarded for and to whom?

      Also, I don't know if anyone else has had similar results as me - but
      when I searched web for 'Gehenna' using 'Google' search engine nearly
      all the references are for 'Black' Metal rock bands, Satanist
      writing, Vampire wannabes, fetishists and the like - which makes me
      think perhaps 'Gehenna' may be the wrong word to describe the Polish
      suffering, as it is already in common use in 'alteranitve' pop
      culture??

      But I did find some biblical interpretations:

      Gehenna (originally Ge bene Hinnom; i.e., "the valley of the sons of
      Hinnom")

      a deep, narrow glen to the south of Jerusalem, where the idolatrous
      Jews offered their children in sacrifice to Molech (2 Chr. 28:3;
      33:6; Jer. 7:31; 19:2-6)

      This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the
      refuse of the city. Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals,
      and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always
      burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of
      everlasting destruction. In this sense it is used by our Lord in
      Matt. 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15, 33; Mark 9:43, 45, 47; Luke
      12:5. In these passages, and also in James 3:6, the word is uniformly
      rendered "hell," the Revised Version placing "Gehenna" in the margin.
      (See HELL; HINNOM.)

      http://hellbusters.8m.com/biblehell6.htm

      Says Campbell: "The word Gehenna is derived, as all agree, from the
      Hebrew words ge hinnom; which, in process of time, passing into other
      languages, assumed diverse forms; e.g., Chaldee Gehennom, Arabic
      Gahannam, Greek Gehenna.
      The valley of Hinnom is part of the pleasant wadi or valley, which
      bounds Jerusalem on the south. Josh. 15:8; 18:6. Here, in ancient
      times and under some of the idolatrous kings, the worship of Moloch,
      the horrid idol-god of the Ammonites, was practiced. To this idol,
      children were offered in sacrifice. II Kings 23:10; Ezek. 23:37, 39;
      II Chron. 28:3; Lev. 28:21; 20:2. If we may credit the Rabbins, the
      head of the idol was like that of an ox; while the rest of the body
      resembled that of a man. It was hollow within; and being heated by
      fire, children were laid in its arms and were literally roasted
      alive. We cannot wonder, then at the severe terms in which the
      worship of Moloch is everywhere denounced in the Scriptures. Nor can
      we wonder that the place itself should have been called Tophet, i.e.,
      abomination, detestation, (from toph, to vomit with loathing)." Jer.
      8:32; 19:6; II Kings 23:10; Ezek. 23:36, 39.

      "After these sacrifices had ceased, the place was desecrated, and
      made one of loathing and horror. The pious king Josiah caused it to
      be polluted, i.e., he caused to be carried there the filth of the
      city of Jerusalem. It would seem that the custom of desecrating this
      place thus happily begun, was continued in after ages down to the
      period when our Savior was on earth. Perpetual fires were kept up in
      order to consume the rubbish which was deposited there. And as the
      same rubbish would breed worms, (for so all putrefying meat does of
      course), therefore came the expression, 'Where the worm dies not, and
      the fire is not quenched.' " Stuart's Exegetical Ess., pp. 140-141.

      "Gehenna, originally a Hebrew word, which signifies the valley of
      Hinnom, is composed of the common noun, Gee, valley, and the proper
      name Hinnom, the owner of this valley. The valley of the sons of
      Hinnom was a delightful vale, planted with trees, watered by
      fountains, and lying near Jerusalem, on the south-east, by the brook
      Kedron.

      http://www.disorganization.com/Library/Selene.html

      ". . . Hell was born just outside the walls of Jerusalem, in the
      Valley of Ben Hinnom. The prophet Jeremiah dubbed this " the Valley
      of Slaughter" (Jeremiah 19:6) because so many children were immolated
      here in a deep pit known as the Tophet -- " Place of Fire." Even
      kings of Judah burned their sons and daughters at this Tophet.
      Eventually, the sacrifices ceased. But the memory remained, as the
      Valley of Ben Hinnom was turned into Gehenna, the Hebrew word for "
      Hell," where sinners suffered the eternal torment of fire.

      Gehenna seems to be described as Hell itself, being in hell for wrong
      doing...rather than being subjected to a 'living hell'....but I admit
      to my failings of undesrtanding language and may thus have missed the
      point that the proposers of 'Gehenna' are trying to convey!

      Regards, Stefan Mucha