RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Hirshel/Scneider Family, Galizia

  • Barbara Charuba
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 9:06 AM

      Welcome to our group Shahar:

      Based on the information you have given, I have done a little searching on the Internet for mention of your grandparents’ names, chiefly in Polish.  It is difficult to guess what route your people may have taken to return to Poland without knowing where in Siberia they were taken to (Siberia is a big place). You will find a great deal of general information on the www.aforgottenodyssey.com  site that may help you make some educated guesses as to the route you grandparents took.  If you can provide any more information, I will try to search the Internet again. If I find anything relevant in Polish, I will translate it into English if it is not to long

      I came across a Polish language site on the Lubaczow Jews which mentions a Samson Schneider (a miller and town counselor) and an Helen Schneider with the word “Library” beside it.   There are pictures and postcards with interesting images of the Jewish community there.  Since you say your family seemed to move around a lot, I do not how great their tie would have been to any one of the places you mention.  .

      The site for the Lubaczów Jews is http://www.zydzi.lubaczow.pl/.

      Barbara Charuba

      Barrie ON Canada