for genealogists

  • Lucyna Artymiuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 1:08 AM
      Someone posted this on another email group - i thought that this would apply to many of us!!

       We are the chosen.  In each family there is one who seems called to
      >>> find the ancestors.  To put flesh on their bones and make
      them live
      >>> again, to tell the family story and to feel that
      somehow they know and

      approve.
      >>>    Doing genealogy is not a cold
      gathering of facts but, instead,
      >>> breathing life into all who
      have gone before.  We are the story tellers
      >>> of the
      tribe.  All tribes have one.  We have been called, as it were, by
      >>> our genes.  Those who have gone before cry out to us: Tell
      our story.
      >>> So, we do.  In finding them, we somehow find
      ourselves.  How many graves
      >>> have I stood before now and
      cried?  I have lost count.  How many times
      >>> have I
      told the ancestors, "You have a wonderful family; you would be

      proud of us."  How many times have I walked up to a grave and felt
      >>> somehow there was love there for me?  I cannot
      say.
      >>>    It goes beyond just documenting
      facts.  It goes to who am I and why
      >>> do I do the things I
      do.  It goes to seeing a cemetery about to be lost
      >>> forever
      to weeds and indifference and saying I can't let this happen.

      The bones here are bones of my bone and flesh of my flesh.  It goes to
      >>> doing something about it.  It goes to pride in what our
      ancestors were
      >>> able to
      >>> accomplish.  How
      they contributed to what we are today.  It goes to

      respecting their hardships and losses, their never giving in or giving
      >>> up, their resoluteness to go on and build a life for their
      family.
      >>>    It goes to deep pride that the fathers
      fought and some died to make
      >>> and keep us a Nation.  It
      goes to a deep and immense understanding that
      >>> they were doing
      it for us.
      >>>    It is of equal pride and love that
      our mothers struggled to give us
      >>> birth, without them we could
      not exist, and so we love each one, as far
      >>> back as we can
      reach.  That we might be born who we are.  That we might
      >>> remember them.  So we
      do.
      >>>    With love and caring and scribing each
      fact of their existence,
      >>> because we are they and they are the
      sum of who we are.  So, as a scribe
      >>> called, I tell the
      story of my family.  It is up to that one called in
      >>> the
      next generation to answer the call and take my place in the long
      >>> line of family storytellers.

      That is why I do my family genealogy, and that is what calls those
      >>> young and old to step up and restore the memory or greet those
      whom we
      >>> had never known before.

      (unknown author)