To Return or Not to Return

  • Andy Golebiowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      I don't know whether this link has been provided either, but there is a thesis by a man
      named Dr. Marek Ostrowski entitled

      ""To Return To Poland Or Not To Return" - The Dilemma Facing The Polish Armed Forces
      At The End Of The Second World War"

      Chapter 1 examines the origins of the "Polish Armed Forces Question" and the legacy of
      bitterness the war has left, even in present day Poland.

      Chapter 2 looks at the British reactions to the Poles, particularly the important attitude of
      the Foreign Office.

      Chapter 3 deals with some of the decisions made by the troops caught in this dilemma.

      Chapter 4 examines conditions in post-war Poland, and is linked to

      Chapter 5 which looks at Warsaw's questionably welcoming attitude to the returning
      troops.

      Chapter 6 considers British public reaction to the Poles while

      Chapter 7 deals with Polish reactions to a new life in Britain.

      Chapter 8 deals with the moves of the British Government to support the demobilised
      Polish forces and the birth of the Polish Resettlement Corps.

      The aim of this thesis is to establish how the troops of the Polish Armed Forces came to
      the decisions they did and what were the consequences of returning or not returning to
      Poland.

      at:http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/polisharmy/

      Andrew Golebiowski
      Buffalo, NY
      USA
    • roman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
        Andy, thanks for bringing that link up. There is certainly no shortage of
        good reading. Well referenced.  I had downloaded it last fall and lost the
        link. I rediscovered the chapters I had saved as PDF's  when looking thru my gathered materials
        for info on the latest discussions.
        Thanks for re-posting that.
        I feel its a must read. I think it will be a real eye opener for some people.

        Roman Mitura
        Ottawa

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
          I've emailed Dr. Marek Ostrowski and invited him to join our group as well as add our site
          as a link on his page.

          Andy Golebiowski
          Buffalo, NY

          Andy Golebiowski wrote:
          I don't know whether this link has been provided either, but there is a thesis by a man
          named Dr. Marek Ostrowski entitled

          ""To Return To Poland Or Not To Return" - The Dilemma Facing The Polish Armed Forces
          At The End Of The Second World War"
        • Anne Kaczanowski