Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: goodbye

  • eva orlowski
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
      a few points to all of this:

      -to concur with krysia's point below, yahoo is not
      'hiding' any info from us, and allows us to opt out
      of the beacon thing they have.

      -the main reason for these beacons, etc, is for
      marketing purposes. if anyone were to try 'spying' it
      would be the gov (following the whole patriot act
      issue in the US) to use it for other means.

      -another member (diana?) also said, why not be heard?
      tis true, no? are we not trying to get a message
      across? of course, the beacon part is also collecting
      other information from its users, not just from within
      the yahoo group.

      overall, i'm dissapointed to see that members are
      leaving because of this. all sites collect info. if
      anything, turn off your cookies, read the privacy
      policy and terms of service, or just refrain from
      using the internet all together.

      ewa orlowska
      brooklyn, ny

      --- kms0902@... wrote:

      > My personal feeling on this subject is that this
      > happens day in and day out when we visit various web
      > sites, and it happens without our knowledge. Yahoo,
      > on the other hand, admits to it and gives us a way
      > to block it from happening. This group is far too
      > important to me to walk away from, and I sincerely
      > hope that we will not lose valuable members because
      > of this.
      >
      > Krystyna Szypowska
      > Ontario, Canada
      > ------
      > This email has been scanned with Norton AntiVirus
      > software.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Eve
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        Hi Ewa -

        People should register their displeasure with Yahoo and other
        Internet companies and also with their respective national
        governments at the federal level. At the same time, Yahoo is not let
        off the hook by informing its users that it is doing this, to my
        mind. People must fight back by writing, voting, and many other
        means!

        Yes, you are probably right about the beacons, but who knows. Google
        was the only search engine refusing to turn over its search records
        for illegal wiretapping by our federal government a short time ago.
        This is a deadly serious issue for all Americans and others as well.
        There are those who smugly state, "Let them look. I have nothing to
        hide." That's not the point! We of all people should know this by
        what our families endured under Soviet hands. Our rights are being
        breached and our freedoms slowly chipped away.

        These days people must constantly be aware of propaganda and scare
        tactics being employed to sway them into submission. Quitting the
        group means they have won. I think FDR said, and I could be
        paraphrasing here: "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."

        Best regards,
        Eve Jesionka Jankowicz

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, eva orlowski <eustace4eva@...>