Re: number questions/Agree on THE NUMBER/

  • Walter Orlowski
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 28, 2006
      --- Hello Barbara:

      You are the first person that I had ever contacted whose family was
      part of that group of deportees, namely those who signed up for
      repatriation to West of the Bug river. I am curious to know if your
      parents were deported together with other potential repatriates or
      whether they were randomly grouped with other deportees? There is a
      lot of conflicting information about this group and again the numbers
      vary because NKVD gave different numbers depending on who asked the
      question, trying to discredit the 300,000 plus number. I can't recall
      where I read it, but one account stated that people were encouraged
      to sign up to be repatriated to the West, then were placed on buses
      presumably to be repatriated but instead were taken to Soviet Union.
      What's most troubling is paucity of information about the fate of
      this group of deportees.

      Walter Orlowski
      In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Jachowicz Davoust"
      <b.davoust@...> wrote:

      > --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Orlowski"
      > <walter_orlowski@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Also, nothing was known about the fate
      > > of over 350,000 individuals, mostly Jews who were born West of
      the
      > > Bug river and signed up to return West under the Russo-German
      > > agreement on exchange of populations. They all vanished without a
      > > trace.
      >
      > Hello Walter,
      > When my mother told me how about she and my grandmother were
      arrested
      > for deportation, she said that the two of them had registered with
      the
      > authorities to "return West", and that most of the others who had
      done
      > so were Jewish. This was in Wolyn in June, 1940, where they had gone
      > to find a way to get to Warsaw, not managing to cross the
      new "border"
      > that had been established near Bialystok. All those on the lists
      were
      > deported.
      > So I think that there is always going to be some overlapping of the
      > various groups and numbers. It will just make finding definitive
      > figures even more difficult than they already are.
      >
      > Barbara Davoust,
      > Toulouse, France

    • Walter Orlowski
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- Hello Jagna:

        Again a very informative post. I fully agree with Stefan Waydenfeld
        that the Soviets had no intention of returning the vast majority of
        Jewish deportees to Poland and that like the rest of the deportees
        they were used as slave labor, regardless of how they got into
        Russia. I also believe that majority perished like other deportees,
        although there is very little information on that subject.

        With regards,
        Wladek Orlowski

        In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, jagna8@... wrote:

        > Re numbers and Walter's points, especially about Jewish Poles:
        > First of all, most Poles I've interviewed for the film, also insist
        that the number of the deportees exceeded 1.7 mln - but because the
        evidence (Polish Government's counts, Hoover archives, etc) points to
        around 1.7 mln, we've decided to stick to what is provable.
        > The question of Jewish Poles, or Jews from Poland, or Poles of
        Jewish origin (terminology is quite a sensitive point here) is quite
        murky, because there were several categories of Jews from Poland who
        found themselves in the Soviet Union. I don't know the numbers but
        there were:
        > 1. those who supported communism and went before the war to work in
        Russia for ideological reasons;
        > 2. those who were fleeing from the Germans to Russia, but when they
        discovered what it was like, decided to go back to Central Poland;
        > 3. those who, along with 'Polish Poles' were trying to get to the
        West to join the Polish Army, and were grabbed in the Soviet Union:
        they too applied to go back to Poland, but landed in a completely
        different direction (as did Stefan Waydenfeld's family from my
        Forgotten Odyssey: they were stopped from boarding the train to
        Poland because there were no more places. As they were told they
        would be put on the next available train, they were convinced this
        was happening when in fact they were arrested - but the following
        morning they woke up to find that the 'sun was on the wrong side'. It
        has to be remembered, however, that Stefan gets very upset when
        people say that the Russians saved his life: 'they have deported us
        to finish us off through hard labour and hunger, not to save us from
        the Germans');