Worth Reading

  • Michael Kulik
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2006
      All:

      I would like to recommend the following books I have recently
      purchased, especially for those searching for facts, figures relating
      to our collective pasts.

      WHITE EAGLE, RED STAR (ISBN 0 7126 0694 7) NORMAN DAVIES

      A much easier read than I have found other works by Davies. He covers
      in great detail all of the key events before, during and after the
      Polish-Russian War of 1919/20.

      A great number of our families settled in Eastern Poland as a result of
      this conflict. All of the participating units are described and like
      me, if you know what regiment your relatives fought in, you may
      discover an awful lot concerning their whereabouts during this period.

      THE FATE OF POLES IN THE USSR 1939-1989 (ISBN 0 901342 24 6) TOMASZ
      PIESAKOWSKI

      I have read and studied Polish history widely, but this book quite
      simply gives the most detail I have ever encountered on this subject.

      We have often discussed numbers on this site, precise detailed figures
      are given for the following...

      1) Deportations between 1937 & 1947 (Neither date is an error). The
      author mentions pre-war deportations of Polish people living east of
      the 1939 borders and also details the arrest and deportation of Home
      Army soldiers up to 1947.

      2) The number of Poles repatriated between 1945 & 1955.

      3) Ditto regarding the number of Poles remaining in Russia and
      elsewhere in the Soviet Bloc right up to 1989, including data from
      various Russian census's in the 1950's, 60's & 70's.

      Quite simply if you want read a study regarding how many people were
      sent where, how many died, how many survived, how many escaped, how
      many were left imprisioned, this is the book for you.

      BITTER GLORY - POLAND & ITS FATE 1918-1939 (ISBN 0 7818 0673 9)
      RICHARD M WATT

      A 500 page account covering the above period. Pro-polish but very
      balanced and makes clear that the Poland between the Wars was not
      always an idylic place and often was a society troubled by unrest and
      strife between the left and right poltical parties of the time.

      A very realistic and easy read.

      Michael Kulik
      Walsall
      England
    • Paul Havers
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2006
        Dear all

        In my absence from the group I've managed to get something done. It has
        taken a long time but finaly its happened. A manuscript was sent to me a
        while ago and i initially was going to place it all on my website but after
        doing some serious thinking I decided to persue alternative avenues. So I'm
        proud to anounce that new book has been published from the manuscript. The
        book is called aBuczacz District and it's Treasures (in English). I will
        post the complete Polish title and ISBN number when I get home tonight.
        Extracts can be seen on http://www.kresy.co.uk/buczacz_district.html

        Paul