Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: More information regarding the girl-soldiers pestka

  • Walter Orlowski
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
      This may be a minor point, but I don't believe that leaving Russia was contingent on having on a member of a family in the Polish Army. Those fortunate enough to reach Central Asia, which was much less than half of those released at the time, were able to leave. I suspect that most of our Pestki were recruited in Iran, where they were actively recruited. The main connection between the civillian refugees and Anders' army is that most of the army (over 40,000) was recruited from among the civilians released from exile and who were able to reach Uzbekistan and Turkestan. Thus, most families had a member in the armed forces, which included my 36 year old father who was one of the oldest soldiers.

      I do agree with all of you that Pestki are soldiers forgotten time and by most of the historians of WWII. I don't recall reading many articles about them.

      Barbara Jachowicz Davoust <b.davoust@...> wrote:
      My mother too was in the army, although she never mentioned the term
      Pestki.  She too lied about her age to get into the army (she was 16)
      and worked in the signal corps in Palestine and Egypt after being
      taken out of the USSR.  It was thanks to that that my grandmother was
      able to leave as a family member.
      My father too was in the army --( that's how they met), but not
      through Siberia, by escaping south from Poland to France and then to
      Britain.
      It's important that those of us whose parents are still alive get the
      most information possible while we can.

      Barbara Davoust
      Toulouse, France

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Zosia Krukowska <zofiak@s...> wrote:

      > Yes I agree it's about time the girls/women receive recognition for
      their war contributions.  Let's hope that documentary films such as
      this open up the dialogue and more stories surface that can be shared.
         As a little girl I remember my aunt named one of her dogs Pestka.
      Too bad I didn't know the significance of that name then.   Now it is
      too late to hear her stories.  Thanks to women like your mother who
      are making sure they are not forgotten.  It would be nice to get the
      documentary over to Canada for viewing.

    • Barbara Jachowicz Davoust
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
        I am not arguing the point, but am wondering whether there really was
        no connection about those able to get out of the USSR and having a
        close relative in the army. This is what I have always heard from my
        mother, at least. She left in March 1942 to join the army in Margelan
        (then to Guzar) and her mother stayed behind on a kolkhoz in
        Uzbekistan, but found out later that her mother was on the same
        transport out of Krasnovodsk in August of that year. Was it just
        coincidence? Were they not trying to get out the army first?

        Barbara Davoust

        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Walter Orlowski
        <walter_orlowski@y...> wrote:

        > This may be a minor point, but I don't believe that leaving Russia
        was contingent on having on a member of a family in the Polish Army.
        Those fortunate enough to reach Central Asia, which was much less than
        half of those released at the time, were able to leave. I suspect that
        most of our Pestki were recruited in Iran, where they were actively
        recruited. The main connection between the civillian refugees and
        Anders' army is that most of the army (over 40,000) was recruited from
        among the civilians released from exile and who were able to reach
        Uzbekistan and Turkestan. Thus, most families had a member in the
        armed forces, which included my 36 year old father who was one of the
        oldest soldiers.

      • Elizabeth Olsson
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
          I've also always heard of this connection.
          My mother joined the army in Guzar 25 Feb 1942.
          24.3.42 she left Guzar on the first military transport (by train) to
          Krasnovodsk, then by ship to Pahlevi. Her parents and brother travelled on
          another ship (for civilians) at the same time. Her older brother was also in
          the army.

          Pozdrowienia
          Elzunia Olsson
          Sweden

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
            No Roman, I do mean PWSK Pomocnicza Wojskowa Sluzba Kobiet (the Women's
            Auxilliary Service).
            My mother was in 316 Kompanii Transportowej. You can read about them (in
            Polish) on
            http://www.videofact.com/polska/aanowi/robocze%20today/tranport.html

            pozdrowienia
            Elzunia Olsson
            Sweden

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
              Dear All

              Email Concerning those who were able to get out of the USSR:

              I have been reading a lot of U.S. 1941-1943 documents lately, and all  Polish citizens were supposed to be released after July 1941.  However, as everyone knows Stalin did not comply.  Russia at first wanted the Polish Army to train in the USSR under his command and he was requesting aid from the allies for guns, clothes, and food for the troops under his command.

              In a U.S. memo dated October 1941, the U.S. and allies were going to tell Stalin that any military aid sent to the USSR had to have a percentage spent on the Polish soldiers. (I think one-third or one-fourth of the total aid had to go to Polish soldiers). The US and the allies were concerned that Stalin was going to go back with Hitler--and they really wanted to get the Polish soldiers out of the USSR as soon as possible, in case that happened.  I think Iran was mentioned in this document as the area that the allies wanted to get the Polish soldiers to. The allies knew the Poles would be loyal to the allied side if Stalin returned to Hitler--and that is why they wanted to make sure that the Polish soldiers were clothed, fed, and suppied with guns, even if they were stuck in the USSR.

              General Sikorski was the one pushing the allies to get the dependents out--since Stalin was not complying he was requesting help from the US.  A May 19, 1942 document concerning a May 12, 1942 telegram from the Polish Ambassor, Jan Ciechanowski, to the Under Secretary of the U.S., stated that Sikorski wanted FDR to realize how desparate the situation was.  Sikorski reported that 65% of the Polish children who had been deported to the Soviet Union had died, and that the children needed to be evacuated out of the USSR as soon as posible.

              From some of the other documents I found out that FDR gave $700,000 to help transport the Poles who were able to get out of the USSR through Romaina.  In December of 1942, FDR made an agreement with Sikorski and gave $3,000,000 to transport a bit less than 1,500 Polish dependents out of Iran.  FDR had on the agreement for this 3 million, that he was willing to spend up to $50,000,000 in evacuating Poles---but I guess Congress put a stop to that.

              It was not supposed to matter if your relative was going to the Polish Army or not--Stalin was supposed to let all Poles go.  But I think those who were family members of Polish enlistees had a better chance to get out.

              Also in the October 1941 Memo, it was known to the U.S. that 1,500,000 Poles had been deported, but they used the term "sent".   It was written, "1,500,000 Poles sent to Russia."

              I am writing from school and I do not have the documents right in front of me.

              Sincerely,
              Joyce Kelly
              California

              <walter_orlowski@y...> wrote:

              > This may be a minor point, but I don't believe that leaving Russia
              was contingent on having on a member of a family in the Polish Army.
              Those fortunate enough to reach Central Asia, which was much less than
              half of those released at the time, were able to leave. I suspect that
              most of our Pestki were recruited in Iran, where they were actively
              recruited. The main connection between the civillian refugees and
              Anders' army is that most of the army (over 40,000) was recruited from
              among the civilians released from exile and who were able to reach
              Uzbekistan and Turkestan. Thus, most families had a member in the
              armed forces, which included my 36 year old father who was one of the
              oldest soldiers.

            • ted sebestianski
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hi Barbara.
                This atachment give You some idea about PSWK.
                Tadeiusz

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Barbara.
                  As 15 years old i joined the junaki in Guzar and my family were in Guzar. A
                  lot of families been moved to Kolchoz becose how wold they survived in
                  Guzar?there no food to fed them -there were a lot people living around the
                  city so the father or son shared their ration.There were some people that
                  had some provision brought with them from Sowchoz were they been working
                  .F.g.my family been fortuned and we had couple bag of flour and some fat
                  Belive me people been going up the hills clouse to [Afganistan ] were they
                  found some tortles but they didnt last long so people been picking up any
                  weds ,rats cats you named so they can survive.
                  Every day about 30-40 people been dieying.
                  Some soldiers dug the trench 6-8 feet deap and they lay one row of dead body
                  spread some lime and some dirt and start laying nekt row.
                  We junaks every morning had some klases so we can learn something and not
                  wasting time -but we been concentrating when going to bring the bread -at
                  dinner we had some soup looks like dish washing water becouse they been
                  using muddy river water and in that soup you can find a dozen of barley
                  groats.
                  For you young generation its hard to to have some imagination about
                  condition.So when the army start moving so does the civilians -probably not
                  on the same ship.[the ship were the oil tanker they drop of us and gone to
                  Baku for crude oil]

                  Tadeusz

                  <walter_orlowski@y...> wrote:

                  > This may be a minor point, but I don't believe that leaving Russia
                  was contingent on having on a member of a family in the Polish Army.
                  Those fortunate enough to reach Central Asia, which was much less than
                  half of those released at the time, were able to leave. I suspect that
                  most of our Pestki were recruited in Iran, where they were actively
                  recruited. The main connection between the civillian refugees and
                  Anders' army is that most of the army (over 40,000) was recruited from
                  among the civilians released from exile and who were able to reach
                  Uzbekistan and Turkestan. Thus, most families had a member in the
                  armed forces, which included my 36 year old father who was one of the
                  oldest soldiers.

                • romed46
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                    -

                    Dear Elzunia,
                    I have 1944 PCK calendar and there is a photo of young ladies in
                    uniform with a title "Dom wypoczynkowy P.C.K. dla ochotniczek
                    P.S.W.K. w Edinburgh'u". You can view this photo under our KS
                    Photos "Polish Armed Forces - 1943" that I have posted some time ago.
                    I believe that it is the 1st photo.

                    Greetings,

                    Roman Skulski
                    BC,Canada