Battles of "pulk KOP Glebokie batalion Podswile" September 1939

  • hjtrevelyan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2005
      Hello,

      If anyone has access to information on the September 1939 battles
      of "pulk KOP Glebokie (l and first e are accented) batalion
      Podswile" (s with an accent) against the Russian army in Dzisna,
      near the prewar Polish-Latvian border, I would greatly appreciate
      receiving it, as well as, any related bibliography.

      My mother's beloved uncle, Adam Ludwik Krycin'ski, was a captain in
      battalion Podswile of KOP regiment Glebokie from May 18 1937 until
      spring of 1940 when the Russian government, composed as it was of
      war criminals, murdered him along with thousands of other Polish
      prisoners-of-war in the Katyn Forest Massacre. My mother loved him
      very much and would like to read about his last battles.

      In our research, a family member found mention of the Podswile
      battalion in an Italian website plus a brief mention of "pulk
      Glebokie" in the rzecz-pospolita website. The Italian article was
      written in February of this year and deals with the Russian attack
      on Poland. For those interested, here is the website and one
      sentence translated by me with the help of an on line dictionary:

      http://www.storiain.net/arret/num100/artic2.asp

      Nel corso di questi scontri, il battaglione "Podswile" del
      reggimento KOP "Glebokie" combatté fino all'ultima
      ctranslationartuccia, perdendo quasi metà dei suoi effettivi ed
      essendo infine costretto ad arrendersi.
      Translation: "In the course of these battles, the
      battalion "Podswile" of the regiment KOP "Glebokie" fought to the
      last cartridge, losing almost half of its members before finally
      being forced to surrender."

      The same site also has an article on the deportations. I cannot
      comment as to its quality since I have not translated it, but here
      it is:

      http://www.storiain.net/arret/num90/artic2.asp

      Since so little is known about the battles fought during the Russian
      attack on Poland, I am very interested in documenting "baon
      Podswile" (as it is referred to in my great uncle's military service
      papers). Thank you in advance for your help.

      Cordially,

      Halina Trevelyan
      Hermosa Beach, CA, USA
    • Michael Kulik
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "hjtrevelyan"
        <hjtrevelyan@s...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > If anyone has access to information on the September 1939 battles
        > of "pulk KOP Glebokie (l and first e are accented) batalion
        > Podswile" (s with an accent) against the Russian army in Dzisna,
        > near the prewar Polish-Latvian border, I would greatly appreciate
        > receiving it, as well as, any related bibliography.
        >

        > Halina Trevelyan
        > Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

        Halina:

        You may have come across this before, but perhaps this is worth
        exploring...

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korpus_Ochrony_Pogranicza

        Michael Kulik
        England