Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Name to be used to denote what happened toPoles

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2002
      Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Name to be used to denote what happened toPoles For further elaboration on a word not all of us may be familiar with, I consulted the Polish "Wim" onlne encyclopedia.  here is their explanation:
      "Gehenna, w jeœzyku hebrajskim: Ge-Hinnom (Dolina Jeœku lub Dolina Synów Hinnoma), nazwa doliny po?oz™onej na po?udnie od Jerozolimy. Miejsce przekleœte, splamione kultem Molocha, któremu w ofierze sk?adano dzieci. Termin ten w teologii judaizmu oznacza miejsce poteœpienia wiecznego, staœd w Starym Testamencie piek?o.
      W znaczeniu przenos´nym: bolesne, cieœz™kie przejs´cie, utrapienie, wielkie cierpienie."

      For those of us who do not read Polish that well, it says:
      "Gehenna, in Hebrew Ge-Hinnon ('Valley of Moans' or 'Valley of the Sons of Hinnom'), the name of a valley situated south of Jerusalem.  A cursed place, stained by the cult of Moloch, to whom children were sacrificed.  In Jewish theology, this expression means a place of eternal damnation, from which in the Old Testament, Hell.

      In metaphorical meaning:  painful, difficult passage or experience, vexation, great suffering."

      Sounds pretty apt to me...

      From: "Richard Widerynski" <richpna@...>
      Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:08:23 -0700
      To: <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Name to be used to denote what happened toPoles

      Dear Stefan,

      My parents were Siberian survivors.  On more than one occasion I remember my mother using the phrase Gehenna Polskiego Narodu when describing the awful tragedy and suffering that befell the Polish nation during WWII.
      Mrs. Sawicka was right when she said the older women she knew used this term in the past as well.
      In California we have a number of survivors of this period and I've heard the term used frequently by them.
      In my humble opinion the connotations of the word Gehenna are broad enough to address the issue very satisfactorily.  Additionally, the term straddles the boundaries of both the English and Polish languages.

      Rich