Re: Caspian sea crossings - date errors?

  • frncsgts
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hi group members

      According to Michael Hope "Polish Deportees in the Soviet Union
      (Origins of Post-War Settlement in Great Britain)" 2nd edition,2000,
      pp39-41:

      "By the beginning of March 1942..an excess of 35,000 refugees and
      over 80,000 military personnel were concentrated in Soviet Central
      Asia......
      On 18th March, in company with Molotov, Stalin gave Anders
      permission to conduct rapid evacuation to Persia via a reception
      depot at Krasnovodsk on the Caspian Sea, of about 40,000 evacuees.
      The convoys were to go by rail to Krasnovodsk, and from there by
      boat to Pahelevi....

      "Between 24th March and 4th April 1942 the Krasnovodsk depot
      received 33,039 military and 10,789 civilian evacuees, many dying on
      the Caspian waterfronts, and most in the last stages of exhaustion,
      including children in a number of travelling orphanages. The
      survivors crossed the Caspian in batches in Soviet ships to Pahlevi
      between 26th March and 10th April.

      A second evacuation took plane to Krasnovodsk drawn from largely
      Uzbek and Kirshiz territory in August 1942. This exodus was larger,
      consisting of 44,832 military personnel and 25,437 civilians, and
      placed in transit from Krasnodovodsk to Pahlevi between 8th and 30th
      August. Of this number, some 701 soldiers and 1,936 civilians, many
      of them children, were evacuated over the border into Iran; the
      evacuees were so ill and emaciated that nearly 600 died on arrival
      at Pahlevi."
      Michael Hope's book is a very informative account of deportation
      using mostly primary sources plus other texts, personal memoirs and
      some photographs.

      Frances

      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, HJ Trevelyan
      <hjtrevelyan@s...> wrote:
      > Dear Krys and Group,
      >
      > Krys, this is imprecise information on the two Kransnovodsk-
      Pahlavi evacuation phases but it's better than nothing and hopefully
      others will provide the exact dates.

      > General Anders i jego zolnierze/General Anders and His Soldiers by
      Krzysztof Szmagier, Instytut Wydawniczy PAX, Warszawa 1993: this
      book consists mostly of photos but it does have a 37-page
      description of the formation of II Korpus. Date-wise, the
      description is somewhat difficult to follow. Here is what I found
      in reference to the evacuations:

      > March 18, 1942, general Anders met with Stalin. Stalin agreed to
      the evacuation of "nadwyzki wojska=excess of the army" (page 17)

      > "The evacuation went unusually smoothly. Transports left via
      trains to Krasnovodsk (Krasnowodsk) and from there via ships to
      Pahlavi (Pahlawi). In one week 40,000 people were moved to Iran.
      Anders' decision saved the lives of thousands of people. This first
      evacuation will be known in history under the name of the small
      evacuation. (page 17)

      > This concerns the second phase of the evacuation: During the
      night from 7th to the 8th of July, 1942, general Anders received a
      telegram informing him that the government of the USSR agrees to the
      evacuation of the Polish army from the territory of the USSR to the
      Middle East. This is the moment when Anders undertook renewed
      efforts to get all of the army out since the Russians were refusing
      to permit ethnic minorities, especially the Jews, to leave with the
      army: with the NKWD explaining to the minorities that it was the
      Poles who were refusing to take them!! (pages 18-19)

      > On the 12th of August, 1942, during the last days of the [second
      phase] evacuation...(page 19)

      > On the 19th of August, 1942, general Anders flew to Tehran. (page
      19)

      > The two-day ship trip from Krasnovodsk to Pahlavi became a
      nightmare (due to a lack of water and sanitary facilities
      overwhelmed by the many ill people). (page 19)

      > Krys, unfortunately the dates are approximate and you need precise
      dates. What I gathered is that the "first evacuation" took place
      after March 18, 1942, and most likely between March 19 (I'm basing
      this date on Stalin's agreement of March 18th) and April 5, 1942
      (I'm basing this date on the fact that the sea trip took two days
      and my stepfather who left in the first evacuation was considered to
      have already been in the Polish Army under British command as of
      April 1, 1942). The second evacuation most likely took place after
      July 8, 1942, but before August 19, 1942 (the date when general
      Anders left). It most likely started substantially after July 8th
      since it probably took a while to obtain transport. It's also
      possible that there was a later evacuation because general Anders
      left a skeleton staff to handle Poles who might still arrive at the
      gathering locations.

      > Cordially,
      >
      > Hala T.
      > Los Angeles
      >

      > Krys Dobrzanski <krysdobrzanski@n...> wrote:Henryk, thank you very
      much for this information but were the crossings in 1942 rather than
      1941 as I notice Stefan has responded that his father went in the
      first convoy, and that was in late March 1942?
    • Halina Szulakowska
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
        Hiya,

        I hope this doesn't sound like a ridiculous question, but why was there a 6
        motnh delay between the first and second evacuations?

        My mother's family missed the first transport out of Lugavoy in March. They
        were left at the Polska Placowka with no job, no accomodation and no news of
        knew another transport was planned. It was August 15th before another train
        appeared to take them to Krasnovodsk.

        Could the organisations at Pahlavi not cope with more deportees at the time?
        Or was there a political reason for the delay in getting the Polish citizens
        out?

        Best wishes,
        Halina

        <hjtrevelyan@s...> wrote:
> [...]
        have already been in the Polish Army under British command as of
        April 1, 1942). The second evacuation most likely took place after
        July 8, 1942, but before August 19, 1942 (the date when general
        Anders left). It most likely started substantially after July 8th
        since it probably took a while to obtain transport. It's also
        possible that there was a later evacuation because general Anders
        left a skeleton staff to handle Poles who might still arrive at the
        gathering locations.

        > Cordially,
        >
        > Hala T.
        > Los Angeles
        >

        > Krys Dobrzanski <krysdobrzanski@n...> wrote:Henryk, thank you very
        much for this information but were the crossings in 1942 rather than
        1941 as I notice Stefan has responded that his father went in the
        first convoy, and that was in late March 1942?

      • Michael Kulik
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
          --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Halina Szulakowska"
          <hszulakowska@l...> wrote:
          > Hiya,
          >
          > I hope this doesn't sound like a ridiculous question, but why was
          there a 6 motnh delay between the first and second evacuations?

          > Best wishes,
          > Halina

          Yes, I would be interested in anyone being able to expand on this.

          My family too (My Uncle excepted) missed the MArch evacuations, they
          simply turned up too late in Gorchakov, near Fergana, and after
          spending a few days literally living on the kerbside, were told to
          return to a nearby communal farm.

          It was mid August before they learned that more evacuations were
          taking place, but appear not to have been officially told. They
          simply followed the crowds back to Gorchakov. Mt father remembers the
          scenes at the railway station with Russian Soldiers beating back the
          crowds who had no papers.

          For my Grandmother it was too late, she died in Krasnavodsk - right
          on the eve of the rest of her family boarding the boat to Pahlevi.

          So yes, anyone any ideas on the delay??

          Michael Kulik
          England.
        • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005

            Here is something of interest for our group I hope:

            The local Shaw Cable TV is showing part 6 of ten of a documentary called  “Russian’s War - Blood Upon the Snow” on the History Channel # 44

            It is all about WWII.  Eastern front. Stalingrad ,…. Original 16 mm film footage .  Unreal stuff.

            I saw couple of the other parts.  It is amazing.  Unbelievable.!!!!!!!

            Shaw is showing each part at 6:00 PM every Thursday. For the next couple of weeks still.

            This is a 5 VHS cassette series that is out of print. It was released by IBP Film distributors.  It was done by Turner Entertainment as part of their PBS Home Video series. Director/producer was Tengiz Semenov, Victor Lisakovitch and the Series Producer was Judith DePaul

            Each cassette is named like #1 = The Darkness Descends”, #2=Between Life and Death”,  #3 = etc..

            ZBIG

          • Elzbieta Gurtler-Krawczynska
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              Hi group,
              I would like to clear timing of my family unsuccessful travel to gen. Anders Army.  Please help.  Here is a short story:
              We were deported to Kazakhstan on April 13, 1940.  My mother was moved from kolchoz, when authorities realized that she is a doctor and order her  to work as a physician in Aktjubinsk, Kazakhstan (her name Dr Maria Tomaszewska-Gurtler). She was allowed to bring to Aktjubinsk my grandmother and myself.  First time my mother was arrested on December 7, 1940 and release from jail by Sikorski Amnesty.  She worked as a doctor with Delegatura Polska Rzadu Londynskiego  (consulate of  Polish Government in exile) distributing medicine and organizing day care for children (I have pictures).
              Many years later I was told that we were (my mother, my grandmother and myself) in the train on our way  from Aktjubinsk to gen. Anders. Suddenly train was stopped and we were pulled from the train and then I remember walking in the snow (4 yo) along the train with my mother and grandmother with small luggage and soldiers.  We were moved to Aktjubinsk without our belongings,  which were left on the train.  When it happen? Is it possible to have snow in March 1942 in that area?  Other transports in the fall or winter 1942/43?
              From documents I know that my mother was arrested again in 1943 and started  her 10 years sentence (paragraph 58-1 "a") on November 13, 1943. I returned to Poland with my  grandmother  in 1946 and reunited with my mother 8 years later.
              Dziekuje bardzo,
              Elzbieta Gurtler-Krawczynska
              Atlanta, GA

              <hjtrevelyan@s...> wrote:

[...]

              DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
              often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/bTwplB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1 1:01 AM
                Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: Caspian sea crossings -  date errors? Yes Elzbieta!

                It is now the first week of April and it is snowing in Aktjubinsk: “
                Snow flurries and snow showers. Cold. Wind chills approaching -15F. High around 25F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.”

                See http://my.myway.com/weather/obs.jsp?fc=c&id=KZXX0025
                --
                Stefan Wisniowski (moderator)
                Sydney, Australia

                From: Elzbieta Gurtler-Krawczynska

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1 3:24 AM
                  Elzbieta

                  The Soviet Government declared on January 16 1943 that those Poles
                  who remained in the Soviet Union at that time and who came from
                  provinces under Soviet occupation, would from then on be considered
                  Soviet subjects. (This was during the final stages of the Stalingrad
                  campaign).
                  Also it was in April 1943 that the thousands of Polish officers
                  (arrested in 1940)were discovered by the Germans in Katyn forest.
                  The Polish Ministry of Defense immediately accused the Soviets of
                  their murder which then led to break-down of Soviet-Polish
                  relations.
                  (Above taken from Michael Hope's book)

                  From this it may be deduced that there would not have been any
                  official transports taking place during that time.
                  Hope this helps.
                  May I ask how you and your grandmother returned to Poland?

                  Frances

                  --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Wisniowski
                  <swisniowski@p...> wrote:
                  > Yes Elzbieta!
                  >
                  > It is now the first week of April and it is snowing in Aktjubinsk:
                  ³Snow

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5 9:52 PM
                    Stefan,
                    thanks for brilliant solution of my weather problem, and for explanation and reassurance.  Our interrupted travel to join gen. Anders army might happened probably in March 1942.  I believe, my mother Dr Maria Tomaszewska- Gurtler, was well informed by  "Delegature Polska" w Aktjubinsku (Rzadu Polskiego w Londynie, na wygnaniu). She also mention that my father send some documents "wyzyw" requesting  family reunion.  He was with Carpatian Brigade under British,  fighting in Tobruk.
                    What was official name of Delegatura Rzadu Polskiego (Consulate?).  In Kujbyszew, there was a Polish Embassy , which was closed in 1943 by Russian and personel was allowed to leave Russia to Iran.
                    Thanks to the group for  researching dates of transports to gen.Anders army

                    From: Elzbieta Gurtler-Krawczynska