Re: New member introduction

  • Helena T Hayden
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 25, 2005
      I have been asked to introduce myself.
      I am the daughter of a survivor of Stalin's forced labor camps.

      I grew up with the stories my whole life. But in the telling, my father
      never told his tale in such a way as to frighten us. He always emphasized
      the human element and the good side of people. My father passed away 8
      years ago.

      It wasn't until recently that I took an interest in learning about my
      roots, and I started reading gulag survivor accounts. All I can say at
      this point is, I never knew how really awful it was. How truly, truly
      awful. I always knew he was in a Russian labor camp, but he spared us
      kids the gruesome side of it.

      My dad was in the Polish Home Army helping guide pilots across the
      borders. He was captured in Lithuania and sent by cattle car to Siberia.
      He arrived in the dead of winter and had to sleep in the snow. He
      survived the camps. He survived typhus. He managed to get to Anders Army.
      He managed to get to England and then served with the RAF. Then to the
      USA.

      Two brothers also escaped to become pilots with the RAF.
      One was shot down by the Germans.
      The other shot down also but managed to guide the plane to the English
      channel, and survived to tell his tale.
      A third brother stayed and fought with the Polish Home Army. He would be
      shot point blank by the Russians.
      All three brothers were awarded the Polish Medal of Honor.

      Helena Franczak Hayden
      hthayden@...
    • Anne Kaczanowski

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
          Hi.

          I joined the group last night. I was asked to introduce myself. There's not much to say. I live in Canada in the Toronto area. I'm of ethnic German descent. I don't know much about my family history, but I was told some of my relatives lived somewhere in eastern Galicia. I have a general interest in the history of eastern Europe. I found this group by accident. I thought I might be able to learn a few things by joining.

          Steve B
        • romed46
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
            Welcome to the group Steve. I was borne and lived, the first 20
            years, in Eastern Galicia, in the town of Stryj. There were many
            ethnic Germans in my hometown and region. Their ancestors arrived at
            the end of the 18th century. Before the 1stWW our region was called
            Shumlau, after the war it was called Szumlan'szczyzna.

            Roman S.

            --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Broser"
            <steven.broser@...> wrote:

            > Hi.
            >
            > I joined the group last night. I was asked to introduce myself.
            There's not
            > much to say. I live in Canada in the Toronto area. I'm of ethnic
            German
            > descent. I don't know much about my family history, but I was told
            some of
            > my relatives lived somewhere in eastern Galicia. I have a general
            interest
            > in the history of eastern Europe. I found this group by accident. I
            thought
            > I might be able to learn a few things by joining.
            >
            > Steve B

          • Boz Challis
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2007
              Hello Everyone

              What a surprise just over a week ago to come across the Kresy-Siberia
              website and your group. I have read with great interest all the emails
              dropping into my inbox and suddenly feel a part of something much greater.
              My father was born in Dukszty (now Dukstas) in 1914. As a child he moved
              with his parents to Wilno where I believe he lived until the onset of war.
              Not long into the war he and his brother were captured trying to flee and
              were deported to Siberia where they remained until the amnesty. My father
              and his brother survived on a diet of �little fishes� (?) and bread. To the
              day he died, my father never wasted a morsel of food, even saving stale
              bread to crumble onto his cereal. I still have a spoon and a strange looking
              can opener that he had in his possession whilst in Siberia. Unfortunately, I
              do not know which camp he was in. I wish I had asked more questions when I
              had the opportunity.
              After the amnesty, my father (and his brother) joined the 2nd Polish Corps
              under General Anders and travelled through Persia, Egypt, Palestine, and
              finally to Italy (was at Monte Cassino) where he met and married my mother (
              a Pole who had been taken from her home at the age of 17 by the Germans).
              They lived in a DP camp in Bari for a while and eventually came to England
              where they temporarily lived in a Polish camp in Diddington and then a
              Polish Resettlement Camp at Ashby Folville.
              Several years after the war, my father was informed that his entire
              immediate family had perished during the war. They were herded into a barn
              at Zhurovstchima (can�t find this anywhere on a map) which was then set
              alight.
              My father was Aleksy Packalow (Potskaloyu ??). His only surviving sibling
              was Michal. His parents were Bazyli and Irena (nee Antoniewicz), his sister
              Weronika, brothers Wlodzimierz and Leonard.
              I have quite a few photographs of my father (and others) taken whilst he was
              with the 2nd Polish Corp. I will try and get some help to get these onto the
              gallery.
              If anyone can help point me in the right direction to gather more
              information, I would be grateful. I agree that it is imperative that the
              younger generation be reminded and informed about what happened, so that in
              turn they can pass this onto their children. We must NEVER forget the
              suffering endured by so many people.
              Thanks

              Kind regards
              Bozena Challis

              Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes.
              http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/
            • chris bienkowski
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1 3:31 AM
                Bozena,

                Welcome.

                Chris

                Boz Challis <bozchallis@...> wrote:
[...]

                Please support the group by subscribing and by making a donation: http://www.kresy-siberia.org

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:Kresy-Siberia-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:Kresy-Siberia-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Boz Challis
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2 10:41 AM
                  Hi Chris

                  Thanks !
                  Am going to obtain my father's military records as a starting point.

                  Regards
                  Bozena

                • Michael Fabisiak
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 26, 2008
                    Hi, my name is Michael Fabisiak, my father (Mieczyslaw) was a Soldier in the Polish army, after the war he remained in Scotland as he had nothing to go back to. He came from Pinsk which at that time was in Eastern Poland , His family, Mother, brother, Grandparents on his mothers side, and two Aunts were deported to a labour camp in Kyrgyzstan. His father was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Polish army, he was deployed to his unit when war broke out, and they didn't see him again till about a year after they were in the camp, The Russians released him from another camp because he was ill with Tuberculosis, and was not fit to work, he made his way to my fathers camp, but died 3 weeks later. My father and his brother were released after about 2 yrs, and made their way to Iran to join the Polish Army. My father did not talk to his children about his experiences, but he did talk to my mum who had the foresight to write most of it down. I have started
                    writing his story for my own children and grandchildren, but would like to fill in some of the missing pieces. Hopefully I will get some here, and share some of the information I have.
                    Michael Fabisiak

                  • Carol Dove
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 28, 2008
                      Michael,

                      Welcome to the group. You will be able to get information, locate documents, add your family to the memorial. Hopefully I can be of help.

                      Carol Celinska Dove, USA

                      Michael Fabisiak <michael.fabisiak@...> wrote:
[...]

                    • Krystyna Szypowska
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
                        Dear Group,

                        Here is an introduction by a new member.  I hope that some of you will be able to fill in some of the blanks for her !

                        Krystyna

                        --
                        KRYSTYNA SZYPOWSKA
                        Winnipeg, Canada

                        Executive Director, Kresy-Siberia Foundation
                        www.Kresy-Siberia.org
                        Krystyna.Szypowska@...

                        My name is Debby Saporetti  and I live in Cape Town with my husband , son and mother (81 this September). She moved  from Zimbabwe 3 years ago.

                        (I don’t speak Polish so my spelling is inaccurate)

                        My mom is Teresa Dandy (born 1930), nee Taczalo.  It was Taczala but she said the officials in transit changed the a to an o. My grandfather was Alexander Taczala  (born approx. 1894) and my babcia was Staniswawa Szeblewska. Born 1910.

                        My great grandfather was Konstanti Szeblewski and my great grandmother was Veronika  (nee) Tomaszewski.

                        My gran Stanislawa moved from Hoch/ Wodch(?) ,Poznan  to Kresy with her family  (father, Konstanti Szeblewski fought in WW1) in 1924.  She was 14. I think the town was called Dobrowicze or Donobrowiecze. (?) It was about 15 km from Nowogrodek. She was the oldest  daughter with 3 younger sisters. Marysia, Bronia  and Hella. ( Bronia moved to Zielonagora and Hella to Donobrowiecze, don’t know about their families)  My babcia married in April 1929 to Alexander Taczala. He was from Starakazimieka, Posnan and also in army in WW1. They moved to Niechniewcze to a small farm of 20 hectares, 18 km from Nowogrodek. My mom Teresa was born in 1930. Edek in (1932- 2007),  Stas in 1934 (he lives in Durban), a brother 1936 and a sister 1938. ( I’ll have to ask my mom for their names)

                        My mom remembers the following names from her little town Niechniewiewcze:

                        the. F. Kaminski family, Pani Kaminski taught at the local school and was a piano teacher, daughter Kornelia  (born 1925 – 2001?)( she became a dentist and lived in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe for many years and son Konrad, (born approx. 1928)( livesUK)- not sure whether he is still alive. He used to play with my mom’s brother, Edek.

                        The A.Ryl family. Pani Stasia Ryl was my mom’s Godmother.

                        The L. Kwiecinski family lived next door to my mom’s next door neighbours.

                        The K. Zurek family were about 5 properties away.

                        The S. Wdowcyk family were neighbours.

                        The P.Wojno family  lived 5 properties away.  there were 2 brothers

                        The S. Majek and Zurek’s were brothers in law. The wives were sisters.

                        The F. Krawczyski family also lived nearby.

                        She remembers the town had 2 churches and 1 synagogue. ( synagogue not mentioned in Paul Haver’s website)

                        After Siberia, my mom’s little brother and sister died in Usbekistan.

                        The family ( Stasia, Teresa, Edek and Stan) were taken to Rhodesia and Teresa spent a short time at Diglaford.

                        She remembers Halina Uszczek. The Niebuda family, Zosia, Basia, Janina and Metek.

                        My gran re-married and became Stanislawa Steyn, they lived in Mutare (Umtali) and bought a farm in Inyanga district.

                        My mom married in 1954 in Mutare.  My father would not allow my sister and I to learn Polish. We moved to Australia in 1961 and lived in Sydney until January 1968 when we relocated to Cape Town. My mom moved back to Zimbabwe in 1981 to be with her mother and worked at Arundel School in Harare for 20 yrs. She fled to South Africa in 2008 leaving behind everything ( 2 family farms were already taken away a couple of years earlier ) - house, car, possessions) for a second time in her life.

                        Zosia Niebuda (don’t know married name)wrote a beautiful book about her life in Poland and the war experiences in about 1993 (?) Unfortunately the book was left behind in Zimbabwe.   I don’t know the title or author.  I would love to get a copy of that book if anyone can help me?  It was published in Canada. Sorry I’m so vague.

                        I would also really like to know the geographic location of Niechniewcze . I’ve been looking on Google Earth but my clues are so vague and I don’t speak Russian.

                        It would be wonderful to link up with families that my mom knew years ago.

                        Many thanks for reading and God bless.

                        Debby Saporetti

                      • henrykter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
                          Niehniewicze - 53° 39' N, 26° 04' E.

                          Niehniewicze was a miasteczko (small town) and gmina town with dependencies - Lyczyce, and Bulhakowskie.The Justice of the Peace was in Nowogrodek. The justice court was in Nowogrodek. The 1928 population was 406. The railway was 5 km away in Basino, a trainstop for limited transports. The post office and telephone were in Lubcza n. Niemnem. The telegraph was in Nowogrodek. Korelicze had one Catholic church and 1 Orthodox church. - from: http://www.kresy.co.uk/nowogrodskie_towns.html#nowogrodek

                          see also: http://www.radzima.net/eng/miejsce/niehniewicze_1.html

                          or:http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~community~-1946708

                          Or google the above spelling for more. Pictures of cemetery in google images.

                          Regards, Henryk
                        • Elizabeth Olsson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011

                            Welcome to the group Debbie

                            Osada Niechniewicze was 18 km east of Nowogrodek, on the road leading to Szczors. Powiat Nowogrodek. I’m sure someone in the group can find you a map, we have several map experts here.

                            There is a short description of life on the osada before deportation, written by Feliks Wdowczyk. (The synagogue  is mentioned here.) It’s not long, just over a page - if someone will volunteer to translate it for you. Please contact me Elzunia(a)alimail.net

                            pozdrowienia
                            Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                            Alingsås , Sweden
                            Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                            Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                            Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                            Army: Pestki 316 Transport.
                            Sappers 5KDP.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 20, 2011
                              Debby, you mention Halina Uszczek.-
                              " HALINA JUSZCZYK (KOJDER)
                              Osada Niechniewicze, District Nowogródek
                              Between the date of the entry of the Soviet army and our deportation to Siberia was a nightmare of intrusions during the hours of darkness, searches for arms, petty annoyances and outright threats. The servants disappeared from the very first day. The troops passing by confiscated everything â horses, cattle and our entire supply of food. And what an army they were! Hungry, filthy, clad in tatters. Men whose highest aspiration was to own a watch."

                              from:http://www.stalinsethniccleansing.com/content/extracts/extracts013.htm

                              And Zurek family:The list of persons killed during the "days of freedom." - Zurek Peter - settler-military settlement Niechniewicze - Niechniewicze - Nowogrodzki - Nowogrodek

                              from: http://www.stankiewicze.com/ludobojstwo/dni_swobody.html

                              Henryk
                            • antoni530
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 21, 2011
                                Debby,

                                I think it should be NIEHNIEWICZE , which is just few kms eastwards from Nowogrodek and north from Korelicze and our osada Poloneczka.
                                Please write to me directly and I'll send a map in Polish for that area.
                                antoni530

                                --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Olsson" <elzunia@...> wrote:

                                > Welcome to the group Debbie
                                >
                                > Osada Niechniewicze was 18 km east of Nowogrodek, on the road leading to Szczors. Powiat Nowogrodek. I’m sure someone in the group can find you a map, we have several map experts here.
                                >
                                > There is a short description of life on the osada before deportation, written by Feliks Wdowczyk. (The synagogue is mentioned here.) It’s not long, just over a page - if someone will volunteer to translate it for you. Please contact me Elzunia(a)alimail.net
                                >

                                > pozdrowienia
                                > Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
                                > Alingsås, Sweden
                                > Names: Maczka. Gradosielski.
                                > Kresy: Osada Krechowiecka. Wilno.
                                > Siberia: Monastyriok. Siewzeldorlag, Komi.
                                > Army: Pestki 316 Transport. Sappers 5KDP.
                                >

                                > _____

                              • Elizabeth Olsson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 21, 2011

                                  Antoni has written an article about his osada which gives you an idea of what life was in that part of Kresy

                                  145 osada Ulanowszczyzna.pdf

                                  If this link doesn’t work, go to the Yahoo site

                                  you have to register separately with Yahoo to access the member Files and Photos

                                  choose Files

                                  then

                                  2. OSADY
                                  Translation of book "Wspomnienia z osad wojskowych". Memories from military settlements 1921-1940

                                • JanZ
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 24, 2011

                                    Debby,

                                    Are you aware that you family are listed on the Karta database: http://www.indeks.karta.org.pl/pl/wyszukiwanie.jsp

                                    There you can find more details of their deportation to Czurga in Archangielsk region.
                                    TaczałoEdmundAleksander1933Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    TaczałoSławomirAleksander1939Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    TaczałoStanisławAleksander1935Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    TaczałoStanisławaKonstanty1910Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    TaczałoTeresaAleksander1931Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    TaczałoWandaAleksander1937Deportowani z obwodu baranowickiego
                                    Also the book you are after is My Guardia Angel, by Zofia Niebuda, published in 1996 by Easy Printing in Toronto.

                                    Janusz