Re: [Kresy-Siberia] 1945 Victory Parade

  • Halina Szulakowska
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2002
      Hi guys,

      I've just finished reading a really good book about the whole Polish-British
      WWII relationship, and I'd like to recommend it:

      'Britain and Poland 1939-1943: The Betrayed Ally'
      Anita J. Prazmowska
      Cambridge University Press 1995
      ISBN: 0 521 48385 9

      Best wishes,

      Halina Szulakowska
      England

    • cglodek@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2002
        Halina...Thank you for the reference. I will look it
        up.

        Piotr...
        I and others I know have had similar experiences
        when talking with Americans about the deportations, at least here in
        the north. Americans of southern heritage are much more able to listen
        and empathize with these stories. Perhaps this is due to their memory
        of the American Civil War which by all witness accounts was very
        vicious and brutal, and did reach down to the burning of cities and
        violence against civilians.
        I also have encountered this
        resistance in my own family, that part of it which emigrated at the very
        beginning of the last century to Pennsylvania and then to Michigan.
        The resistance, and I only surmise this from my own intuition, is
        somehow related to the perception of Europe (indeed most of the rest of
        the world) as "different" and inveterate in its ethnic conflicts from
        that of the New World (read North America). The Polish deportations
        are seen as only one of a myriad of similar events that have always
        occurred in the Old World... and that there is no remedy for it. The
        other factor is the insularity of the US (in some respects this is true
        of Britain as we certainly know). So the problems of the continent are
        seen as intractable and not worth mulling over. "Let's just get on with
        life."
        Yet somehow I don't feel that these observations as made, go
        sufficiently deeply into the heart of the matter.Something is still
        missing. Perhaps someone in the group can add to this rather curious
        and perplexing pheonomenon. (I know that the Armenians have just the
        same problem in talking about the Armenian Holocaust that took place
        in Ottoman Turkey in the early part of the 20th century) Cass Glodek
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2002
          Regarding these recent discussions, here is an interesting account of the
          parade and the background of Polish-British relations leading up to it.

          http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla/Victory_parade.html