Polish "holy cross brigade" .........Polnische "Heilig-Kreuz-Brigade"

  • fourthskorpion
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      Greetings to all,
      Anybody have any info about Polish "holy cross brigade"
      I know some of the regiment were POWs held at Nürnberg
      Langwasser as I came across a German text reference
      .........Polnische "Heilig-Kreuz-Brigade" Langwasser bei
      Nürnberg????
      Looked on web for more information but not much luck so any
      info most welcome!
      Cheers,
      Stefan (Mucha)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2002
        Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Polish "holy cross brigade" .........Polnische "Heilig-Kreuz-Brigade" Stefan,
        Check out http://www.miedzynami.com/ElectronicMuseum/WorldWarII/HolyCrossBrigade/HCB.html for a history of this right-wing and staunchly anti-communist partisan brigade - which found itself caught in the last stages of the war between the Red Army on one side and the Nazis on the other.  Makes for gripping reading!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2002
          Thank you Stefan!

          You are right (no pun intended!) it is interesting reading!

          The authors suggest that Gen. Kazimierz Sosnkowski and Gen.
          Wladyslaw Anders were in support of the Holy Cross Brigade's
          right -wing views which included ... curbing the efforts of the
          Jewish lobby to put their ethnic minority's interests ahead of
          those of the entire nation.....my knowledge is very limited but I
          must admit I haven't read anything else about Sosnkowski and
          Anders that would confirm this claim - that they supported these
          right-wing policies? Has anyone else on the group?
          After WW2, when the II Corps was still in Italy and the UK
          goverment was deciding how best to rid itself of the supposed
          'problem' of demobilising and disarming the Poles, Soviet
          propaganda (and some UK goverment thinking) did make the
          claim that Anders Army was a 'Facist Army' which led to fears of
          independent action being taken by II Corps against the Soviet
          'puppet' government installed in Poland?

          Regards, Stefan (Mucha)