RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Newspaper Article_Feb 10th

  • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005

      Hello all Kresy researchers,

      I also like to thank Eugene for letting people know about “THE OTHER HOLOCAUST”.

      I strongly believe that Stalin/Soviets were silent partners with Hitler/Nazis in the extermination of peoples.  Did they both not meet after conquering Poland to decide how and who each side  would ‘exterminate “ ?  They compared notes and methods I think.

      Hitler and his people chose the shot in the head, slave labor (like my dad),  or gas chambers.  Stalin and his people chose to shot in the head (Katyn),  deportations to Siberian slave labor Gulags, ultimate death by malnutrition (my grandmother), disease (my grandfather),  or cold, or exhaustion, or suicide (my aunt) of up to 1.7 Million Polish citizens.

      All these 1.7 million would have died within a couple of years if it was not for a MIRACLE.   Who would have thought, at that time, that Poland ’s arch enemies, the Germans, would have saved the Polish lives in Siberia, by double crossing Stalin and attacking Russia ?

      What if Germany never attacked Russia or maybe two years later than they did?

      Would most of the 1.7 Million Poles have died in Siberia ?

      Would the world know about it?

      Would it ever  be discovered?

      Would it then be known more as a holocaust or would the world even hear of it?

      All the best

      Zbyszek

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
        Dear Group;
        Please allow me to add my two cents worth into our  definition of "The Polish Gehenna"...

        I am child of parents who's mother spent her Gehenna in Siberia and father in a Gehenna in a German Stalag..  personally I feel torn...who's suffering was greater my mothers or fathers...both had sustained unmeasurable torment and were traumatized for life.Some of our family members were lost to us forever on both sides of aggression against Poland.

        Consequently, out of my personal  of curiosity to learn more about my historical environment in a world stage  I goggled "The Polish Gehenna" ...sadly most of the material was about the Jewish Holocaust and furniture polish...one did catch my interest and it is on this website in a acrobat format.

        I do recognize  this groups endeavours to respect and support their group memebrs to learn and have material available  to those that want to learn more about the Polish world history during the WWII  And unquestionably most  of all  find  their lost  family members to reconnect family roots to make us strong.

        From what I hear, some  of our group members also want each of the aggressors against Poland  just to take a moral  puplic ownership for their actions and acknowledge the pain and suffering they have perpetuated upon millions of Polish citizens.

        Should I be on a wrong tract please feel free to educate me I am open to all new concepts.

        Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@...> wrote:
        In July 2002 the group ran an interesting poll of members asking "What is a term or name that can be used for what happened to the Polish people in WW2 to differentiate it from the 'Holocaust'?"

        The name that emerged most popular was "The Polish Gehenna" (Genhenna being a biblical term for Hell).

        Stefan Wisniowski (moderator)
        Sydney, Australia

        From: <kms0902@...>
        ... And I suppose that the use of the word Holocaust in the title is reflective of how we all feel about this, as well as a hope that it will catch the world's attention.

        Krystyna Styrna-Ejnesman

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
          Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Newspaper Article_Feb 10th

          Stefan,

          While researching for this “ The Polish Gehenna”, you mentioned, my sister pointed me to this site:

          http://www.columbia.edu/cu/sipa/REGIONAL/ECE/dingell.pdf

          On page 5, it states” ….those Poles that were deported by the Germans to work as slave labor, were required to wear a letter “P” on their clothes at all times.  Any contact with Germans was forbidden.  Polish men who had sex wit German women were punished by death….””

          I knew Jews had to wear the Star of David, it’s been advertised everywhere for decades, but this is the first time I heard/read about Poles having to wear the letter “P”.  Anyone else hear of this?

          I could not find Gehenna or Genhenna in my little Polish Dictionary.  I will look further.

          Stefan and others,

          I think if we’re to discuss and label what happened to the Polish people in WWII we must include everything that happened to us at the hands of the Germans and the Russians don’t you think?  Or are you thinking only of the up to 1.7 million Siberian deportations?

          All the best

          Zbyszek

            From: <kms0902@...>
            ... And I suppose that the use of the word Holocaust in the title is reflective of how we all feel about this, as well as a hope that it will catch the world's attention.

        • Anne Kaczanowski

            From: <kms0902@...>
            ... And I suppose that the use of the word Holocaust in the title is reflective of how we all feel about this, as well as a hope that it will catch the world's attention.

            Krystyna Styrna-Ejnesman

            Do you Yahoo!?

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Eve
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
              Group -

              Use whichever word or words you want to use. The important thing is
              to get the word out!

              Eve

              --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, Anne Kaczanowski
              <annekaczanowski@y...> wrote:
              > I have a problem with this word Gehenna as well. First I don't know
              whether that would catch the attention of a reader, because he
              doesn't understand the word. This might sound great if you are
              Polish..but most Poles already know the story .....it is the rest of
              the world we are trying to educate. I still think Holocaust is
              closer to what it was, and certainly understood by readers. In my
              dictionary ( The World Book)..holocaust can mean great destuction,
              but many of the meanings have to do with fire.

              > hania
              >
              > Krystyna Styrna <thymetrax@y...> wrote:
              > Dear Group;
              > Please allow me to add my two cents worth into our definition
              of "The Polish Gehenna"...

              > I am child of parents who's mother spent her Gehenna in Siberia and
              father in a Gehenna in a German Stalag.. personally I feel
              torn...who's suffering was greater my mothers or fathers...both had
              sustained unmeasurable torment and were traumatized for life.Some of
              our family members were lost to us forever on both sides of
              aggression against Poland.

              > Consequently, out of my personal of curiosity to learn more about
              my historical environment in a world stage I goggled "The Polish
              Gehenna" ...sadly most of the material was about the Jewish Holocaust
              and furniture polish...one did catch my interest and it is on this
              website in a acrobat format.
              > http://www.columbia.edu/cu/sipa/REGIONAL/ECE/dingell.pdf
              >
              > I do recognize this groups endeavours to respect and support their
              group memebrs to learn and have material available to those that
              want to learn more about the Polish world history during the WWII
              And unquestionably most of all find their lost family members to
              reconnect family roots to make us strong.

              > From what I hear, some of our group members also want each of the
              aggressors against Poland just to take a moral puplic ownership for
              their actions and acknowledge the pain and suffering they have
              perpetuated upon millions of Polish citizens.

              > Should I be on a wrong tract please feel free to educate me I am
              open to all new concepts.

              > Stefan Wisniowski <swisniowski@p...> wrote:
              > In July 2002 the group ran an interesting poll of members
              asking "What is a term or name that can be used for what happened to
              the Polish people in WW2 to differentiate it from the 'Holocaust'?"

              > The name that emerged most popular was "The Polish Gehenna"
              (Genhenna being a biblical term for Hell).

              Siberia/surveys?id=10822393 and for further discussion on the
              question, visit our messages in later July and August 2002.

              > Regards
              > --
              > Stefan Wisniowski (moderator)
              > Sydney, Australia
              >

              > From: <kms0902@s...>
              > ... And I suppose that the use of the word Holocaust in the title
              is reflective of how we all feel about this, as well as a hope that
              it will catch the world's attention.
            • Julia Dyer
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                Hi Zbigniew

                Yes it is true that the Polish had to wear a P on their clothes all the time
                and fratinizing with Germans was not allowed and walking on the footpath was
                not allowed either.

                Julia Dyer
                Queensland, Australia

              • Biber
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Newspaper Article_Feb 10th
                  Yes, I have a photo of my mother in Germany with P sewn on her jumper. She told me the story of being picked up whilst in the street once by the police because she was wearing a coat without the P. After some terrifying hours of questioning and witnessing a Polish man receive a beating she got off with a "fine" because she was a good worker!

                  Fran
                  Vic Australia

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Julia,

                    I found it. The Nazis forced Polish people to wear a yellow "P" and it looks
                    a lot like the yellow Star of David Jewish people had to wear. Please see
                    the enclosed pictures.

                    Sorry this is digressing from our Kresy objectives but I found it an
                    interesting similarity.

                    Regards

                    Zbyszek

                    Yes it is true that the Polish had to wear a P on their clothes all the time

                    and fratinizing with Germans was not allowed and walking on the footpath was

                    not allowed either.

                    Julia Dyer
                    Queensland, Australia

                    >From: "Zbigniew Bob Styrna" <styrna@...>
                    >To: <Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [Kresy-Siberia] Newspaper Article_Feb 10th
                    >Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:21:32 -0800
                    >
                    >Stefan,
                    >
                    >While researching for this The Polish Gehenna, you mentioned, my sister
                    >pointed me to this site:
                    >

                    >HYPERLINK
                    >"http://www.columbia.edu/cu/sipa/REGIONAL/ECE/dingell.pdf"http://www.columb
                    >a.edu/cu/sipa/REGIONAL/ECE/dingell.pdf
                    >

                    >On page 5, it states .those Poles that were deported by the Germans to
                    >work as slave labor, were required to wear a letter P on their clothes at
                    >all times. Any contact with Germans was forbidden. Polish men who had sex
                    >wit German women were punished by death.
                    >

                    >I knew Jews had to wear the Star of David, its been advertised everywhere
                    >for decades, but this is the first time I heard/read about Poles having to
                    >wear the letter P. Anyone else hear of this?
                    >

                    >I could not find Gehenna or Genhenna in my little Polish Dictionary. I
                    >will
                    >look further.
                    >

                    >Stefan and others,
                    >
                    >I think if were to discuss and label what happened to the Polish people in
                    >WWII we must include everything that happened to us at the hands of the
                    >Germans and the Russians dont you think? Or are you thinking only of the
                    >up to 1.7 million Siberian deportations?
                    >

                    >All the best
                    >

                    >Zbyszek
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Newspaper Article_Feb 10th

                      Fran,

                      Wow, I never knew about this letter “P” that Polish citizens were forced to wear. I always thought the Nazis only forced the Jews to wear the Star of David. Was there other letters other peoples, nationals had to wear?  Did the Gypsies have to wear anything to identify them for example?

                      Did the Soviets force foreign people to wear something identifiable other than old smelly, lice infested rags?

                      All the best

                      Zbyszek

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                        --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Zbigniew Bob Styrna"
                        <styrna@t...> wrote:
                        > Julia,
                        >
                        > I found it. The Nazis forced Polish people to wear a yellow "P" and
                        it looks
                        > a lot like the yellow Star of David Jewish people had to wear.
                        Please see
                        > the enclosed pictures.
                        >
                        > Sorry this is digressing from our Kresy objectives but I found it an
                        > interesting similarity.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        >
                        > Zbyszek

                        28
                      • julek2205
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Zbyszek could you please send me this picture or the link to my e-
                          mail address.
                          I am not able to see it or save it throught this web site at the
                          present time

                          Thanks,
                          Julek

                          <styrna@t...> wrote:
                          > Julia,
                          >
                          > I found it. The Nazis forced Polish people to wear a yellow "P" and
                          it looks
                          > a lot like the yellow Star of David Jewish people had to wear.
                          Please see
                          > the enclosed pictures.
                          >
                          > Sorry this is digressing from our Kresy objectives but I found it an
                          > interesting similarity.
                          >
                          > Regards
                          >
                          > Zbyszek

                        • Zbigniew Bob Styrna