Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Comments on Bill Maher yesterday: US "helping" Eastern Europe

  • rlipinsk@gmu.edu
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 6, 2004
      Hi Eve,
      Great job Eve! Could not be said any better.
      Romuald

      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 16, 2004
        Bert,

        The problem was and is today France and other countries are looking for
        their self interest at the expense of the general population around the
        world. Some people call it appeasement I call it something else. Below is
        small section of a well written historical book (The Deadly Embrace) on what
        led up to Hitler's rise in power. The blame is not that Poland was not
        prepared. The blame is that none of the "POWER" countries took steps to stop
        a mad man before he gained power and then they gave lip service to their
        treaties. At this time these same countries were well prepared to defeat
        Hitler. The same is going on today. Very few of the "POWER" countries are
        trying to stop terror. Many are supporting terror behind each others back.

        "When Hitler in his first months as Chancellor took Germany out of the
        international disarmament conference and then out of the League of Nations,
        Britain and France remained silent. They did nothing, either, in early 1935,
        when he took back the heavy industrial region of the Saar, on Germany's
        south-western border with France, which had been detached from Germany in
        1919 to be administered by the League of Nations. And when, on 16 March, he
        denounced the disarmament clauses of the Versailles treaty and restored
        universal military service in Germany, they made indignant protests, but
        again did nothing. Their reaction to Mussolini's invasion of Ethiopia that
        year was exactly the same - a great deal of noise but no action.
        Soviet hopes for Anglo-French involvement in collective security rose when
        both the future British Foreign Secretary, Anthony Eden, and his French
        counterpart, Pierre Laval, visited Moscow for talks in April and May 1935
        respectively. The French even signed a mutual assistance pact with the
        Soviet Union - but significantly the drafting of the military agreement
        needed to make any assistance effective was postponed until later, and in
        fact was never completed.
        A year after this, on 7 March 1936, Hitler made his boldest move yet,
        testing the Allies to the limit by sending German troops into the Rhineland,
        which had been declared a demilitarised zone in 1919. Since this placed his
        growing army to the west of the Rhine and immediately alongside the border
        with France, even Hitler's own generals believed the French could not
        possibly ignore it, but were bound to react violently. Hitler himself was
        apprehensive enough to order that the occupation was to be aborted at the
        first sign of opposition from the French army on land or the British Royal
        Navy around German ports. In the event, neither made any such move.
        Appeasement had become the rule".