Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Some Polish media

  • HJ Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
      Hi Jan and Group,

      Jan, I can answer your question only through a comparison of Gazeta Wyborcza with American press.  Throughout my life I have read in the American press and history books how wonderful the United States is and how wonderful its history is.  And I agree.  That is what we call patriotism here and as Americans find it totally appropriate and acceptable.  When we praise the United States, we are not automatically required to attach at least one or two negative incidents from its history.  There is a time and place for everything.

      When we praise the Unites States, we are not called nationalists, just Americans. Almost no one calls another American a nationalist with a not so hidden sneer hiding in the word.  In fact, it sounds pretty stilted and foreign to American ears.  It's simply not done.  Yet, seldom does Gazeta Wyborcza merely praise Poland or Poles without attaching a string of negative incidents or statements in its articles.  It's as though its mandate was to lessen the impact of the good and magnify the impact of the bad in Polish history.  It overuses the 'nationalism/nationalist' appellation in relation to those who do not automatically criticize Poland while also praising it.

      Obviously, there are extremists in all societies but to paint broad swatches of society as such is...extreme... to say the least.

      Cordially,

      Halina
      Jan Prygoda <j.prygoda@...> wrote:
      What do you mean with Gazeta Wyborcza denigrating of Polish patriotism ?

      Jan

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
        Jurek,

        My issue with Gazeta Wyborcza is based on the fact that Adam Michnik, its chief editor?, fought fiercely against 'lustration' in Poland.  Complete lustration, among other things, would have meant public access to secret police files.  It was defeated by a cheap watered-down version.  I consider that an unforgivable act; particularly, since he led the fight only after he had been shown his own and his friends' police files.  Until then, Michnik was a hero in my eyes.

        I cannot trust a newspaper person who is against openness.  Additionally, I hope each one of us makes up his/her mind about Polish (and all others) newspapers independently of the opinions of others: including mine, of course.

        Cordially,

        Halina
        Los Angeles

        Additionally,
        Jurek Jaskowski <jjaskow@...> wrote:
        The Polish simple people  - workers, street, call Gazeta Wt\yborcza  -- Jdisz zeitung
        jj
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
          For egz. GW  wrote a lot of articles, that AK is a criminal group murdered Idish.
          jj

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2004
            Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Some Polish media UPHOLD GROUP VALUES:
            “members are asked to avoid commenting on current politics that could cause dissension between members, especially those not on the topic of the history and fate of the deported Polish
            citizens.”
            --
            Thank you,
            Stefan Wisniowski

          • ANTONI KAZIMIERSKI
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2004
              Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Some Polish media
              Dear Stefan,
              Thank you for the reminder.
                 I joined this group recently and already it is noticeable that we have several combatants who press their issues very strongly.In my view this inhibits some of us with moderate outlook to the point that we are afraid to comment as it is likely we might be attacked.
              I am quite certain that all the Polish people of living generations today, and our friends in the world,
              feel saddened by the events of the WWII and its aftermath but we cannot change it or influence them in any way; all the people instrumental at the time are dead!
              We have a new world today and a great deal of history is being made on different battlefields.
              LETS NOT FORGET those who gave their lives for our freedom and our free and friendly, rational expression to our fellow man.Sometimes one must accept his argument in a good manner.

              Regards,

              antoni530.