Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Re: When Will Russia Say 'Sorry'?

  • mirzabie@poczta.onet.pl
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 2, 2004
      "Just as it should be possible for the US to condemn Eisenhower's,Kennedy's,
      Johnson's, and Nixon's actions against Vietnam. I hold out equal hope for
      that happening"

      It is sometimes sugested that JFK (Kennedy) have blocked actions against
      Vietnam. Have the people in Vietnam had very happy to be killed (together
      with the green trees and grass) ? Probably about 5 000 000 - not 1 000
      000 and not 2 000 000 !

      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 13, 2004
        Hi Group
        Leszek you mention that "Only" 4000 were found in Katyn and you are right.if you mean only Katyn...

        BUT, Katyn is the name given collectively to all  places Polish people were found   hands bound behind their back  and shot in the back of the head.

        Many are still missing and unaccounted for to this date. This is what my parents and other Polish people whispered about  in the 1950's it was not about Katyn
        Krystyna
        Kanada

        World War II in Ukraine:
        Katyn and Vinnytsia

        by
        Andrew Gregorovich

        Page 16 of 29
        Icon Icon Icon

        Katyn and Vinnytsia

        World War II, itself a source of immense crimes, revealed two Soviet crimes of hideous mass murder which might never have been discovered without German intervention. Ironically, the methodical Germans fully documented these two crimes perpetrated by Stalin's Soviet Union.

        The better known one was in the forest near Katyn, a Russian village, where the Germans in 1943 reported finding the graves of 4,250 Polish army officers. They had been captured by the Soviet Army in 1939-40 during the occupation of Galicia and shot in 1940. Another 8,000 were killed elsewhere by the Russians. In 1989 the USSR formed a Commission to investigate and partly admitted this war crime was committed by the Soviet NKVD.

        Vinnytsia is a Ukrainian city 120 miles south-west of Kiev which had a population of about 100,000 in 1939. On May 25, 1943 a large German team of professors of forensic science and international experts started excavating three mass murder sites of 1937 and 1938 in Vinnytsia. The local population thought that about 20,000 people who had disappeared had probably been murdered there by the Soviet NKVD secret police on orders from Moscow.

        Procedures were systematically followed by the German investigators and everything was carefully documented. The victims had their hands tied behind their backs and were shot in the back of the head. From May to October 1943 there were 9,432 corpses, including 169 women, found in three burial places. Of these 679 were identified from their documents and garments by relatives. The Soviet government had hidden the graves in a pear orchard and by building a Public Park on top of the mass graves with swings and playground equipment. (Kamenetsky; Zayas p. 240-44, 204.)

        Zbigniew Bob Styrna <styrna@...> wrote:
        I'm not sure who wrote this note and does not want to sign it.

        But respectfully, on this Kresy-Siberia discussion site, we are not talking
        about, nor are we interested, to debate other issues of the world other than
        Kresy-Siberia as it relates to WWII I believe.

        I do not want to dilute, or distract the atrocities committed in WWII times
        to Kresy people on this site by other crimes that happened 2000 years ago,
        during WWII or today to other peoples. It's not that I'm insensitive to
        other people's needs, it's just that I joined the Kresy-Siberia site to
        honor my Polish relatives and countrymen and not the Vietnam site.  That is
        for another group to handle.

        Zbyszek

        > for the Russian goverment to condemn Stalin's crimes
        > against the
        > countries annexed by the USSR during its alliance with
        > Hitler, while
        > pointing out that post-communist Russia did not commit
        > them.
        > End quote
        >
        > Of course it should be possible.  Just as it should be
        > possible for the US to condemn Eisenhower's,
        > Kennedy's, Johnson's, and Nixon's actions against
        > Vietnam.  I hold out equal hope for that happening.
        >
        > Some of Stalin's crimes were condemned, I believe, by
        > Khruschev at a CP meeting in the 50's.  Whether that
        > included the crimes against Poles and Poland I don't
        > know.
        >

        > Russia's continuing refusal to classify the Katyn
        > massacre as an act
        > of genocide
        > End quote
        >
        > Russia is not alone.  I refuse to classify it as an
        > act of genocide as well.  Genocide implies the
        > elimination of a people, an entire ethnic group, or
        > nation.  The murder of 4,800 Polish officers, as
        > horrible as it is, doesn't qualify.
        >
        > Czesc,
        > Leszek

        Blessings