Interesting Book by Avraham Shifrin

  • concernedconnecticutresident
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2004
      I bought an interesting book on eBay a while back. It's called "The
      First Guidebook to Prisons and Concentration Camps of the Soviet
      Union" by Avraham Shifrin. It has lots of maps, pictures and
      describes the prisons and camps in detail, some more than others. It
      doesn't list every camp, I'm sure, but many of them. The ISBN for
      this book is 0-553-01392-0 for anyone who wants to look it up. If
      anyone would like me to look up a camp or prison, let me know and
      I'll let you know what the book says about it.

      Barb Revoet
      Connecticut, USA
    • Rena Verlander
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
        Could i take you up on your offer to look up a camp in your book please. My
        father and his family were in camp Swerdwawska. I think this goes with it
        too Wska-oblas-Zaikowski region skorodumskie Urzede. Camp are District 61.
        I've had trouble finding any reference to it so would be grateful if you
        would check for me. Thanks Rena

        >From: "concernedconnecticutresident" <beemail27@...>
        >To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Interesting Book by Avraham Shifrin
        >Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:39:45 -0000
        >
        >I bought an interesting book on eBay a while back. It's called "The
        >First Guidebook to Prisons and Concentration Camps of the Soviet
        >Union" by Avraham Shifrin. It has lots of maps, pictures and
        >describes the prisons and camps in detail, some more than others. It
        >doesn't list every camp, I'm sure, but many of them. The ISBN for
        >this book is 0-553-01392-0 for anyone who wants to look it up. If
        >anyone would like me to look up a camp or prison, let me know and
        >I'll let you know what the book says about it.
        >
        >Barb Revoet
        >Connecticut, USA

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • Rena Verlander
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
          Could i take you up on your offer to look up a camp in your book please. My
          father and his family were in camp Swerdwawska. I think this goes with it
          too Wska-oblas-Zaikowski region skorodumskie Urzede. Camp are District 61.
          I've had trouble finding any reference to it so would be grateful if you
          would check for me. Thanks Rena

          >From: "concernedconnecticutresident" <beemail27@...>
          >To: Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Kresy-Siberia] Interesting Book by Avraham Shifrin
          >Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:39:45 -0000
          >
          >I bought an interesting book on eBay a while back. It's called "The
          >First Guidebook to Prisons and Concentration Camps of the Soviet
          >Union" by Avraham Shifrin. It has lots of maps, pictures and
          >describes the prisons and camps in detail, some more than others. It
          >doesn't list every camp, I'm sure, but many of them. The ISBN for
          >this book is 0-553-01392-0 for anyone who wants to look it up. If
          >anyone would like me to look up a camp or prison, let me know and
          >I'll let you know what the book says about it.
          >
          >Barb Revoet
          >Connecticut, USA

          http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
        • Barbara Charuba
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2004
            Does the book only deal with concentration camps and prisons or does it also deal with the labour camps?  Is there any mention of Poldniewica, Szayrynski Rayon, Godowskaja Oblast(Poldnvitsa.
            Sharynsky Rayon, Gorkovkaya oblast)?  My mother and her family were taken there.

            Barbara Charuba
            Ottawa Canada

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 20, 2004
              Dear Rena, Barbara C. and others:

              I seem to have overestimated the information in the book. I haven't
              been able to find any of the camps in question. It appears that the
              book only has the main prisons and camps listed and since the book
              was published in 1980, many changes were probably made since
              the '40's. Sorry to disappoint anyone. It is, however, very
              interesting reading.

              Barb Revoet
              Connecticut, USA
            • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
                Barb,

                I have also bought this book, 390 pages soft cover.

                It is unbelievable.

                Full of incredible information with tons of maps, pictures, etc. of
                Russian, Prisons, Gulags, forced labor camps etc.. Unfortunately it does
                not contain or mention the several camps my relatives were in. This book
                has literally hundreds and hundreds of places with maps in it. How could a
                country of 100 million have that many prisons/camps/gulgs? Wow !

                Very worth to buy and red if anyone is interested to know what happened
                there.

                Zbyszek