Re: [Kresy-Siberia] Repatriation List - Help Needed

  • Edward Dabrowski
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello Ken,

      Well done for recording such an important document.
      My mother is still searching for her lost father and brother who disappeared
      in Kazakhstan. Many people died on the train tracks and sadly there are no
      records to account for these poor souls.

      May I suggest that the documents would be more useful to our members if they
      could simply perform a visual check for names of family and relatives.
      I have personally poured over countless census records and ships manifest
      records from Ellis Island and Ancestory.com and actually prefer to see and
      discern details from the original writings.

      I think that an excel spreadsheet list or table of some sort would be very
      useful, however I see this as being 'icing on the cake'.
      I would like to see the JPEGs stored on a web site and be downloadable. They
      can be mailed but many email accounts are limited to about 5MB of data.

      My working knowledge of Polish is limited so I feel inadequate with the task
      of transcribing the records.

      Regards,
      Edward Dabrowski
      Western Australia

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
        Yes, I agree,

        Posting would be a great idea if they had enough resolution. Some of the
        pages on the Siberia to Iran evacuations are very poor. But some are
        perfect. I downloaded all those 68 pages and printed them off on 11" by 17
        inch paper so they are very readable .

        Besides, some translator might miss something, or spelling, etc. and a
        person looking for a loved one will spend endless amount of time scouring
        the pages until they find what they are looking for.
        Like I said already in my private email. I'd be happy to try to do some
        pages as an excel spread sheet would be wonderful as the first pass. And
        if one does not find it there, then a person could try searching the hand
        written records themselves. There is something therapeutic about doing this
        for us and/or our loved ones.

        The same would be extremely nice for these.

        Regards
        Zbyszek

        > I have recently obtained a photocopy of an original document. It is a list
        > of names of app. 1,450 persons repatriated by train from Dzhambul in
        > Kazakhstan around May 1946. There are 57 pages, each containing approx. 25
        > surnames, given names, year of birth and occupation. Unfortunately, the
        list
        > is not in alphabetical order so it would be too lengthy a task to do
        > individual searches on request.
        >
        > What I would like to do is put the list on the Kresy Group site and also
        > reproduce the list in alphabetical order on an Excel document for the
        > benefit of our group. The list is handwritten(and for the most part very
        > clear) but it is difficult for me to precisely make out many of the names
        as
        > I am unfamiliar with many Polish names.
        >
        > I have scanned all the pages on to jpeg format at approx. 100 - 125kb per
        > page.
        >
        > I would like to ask for volunteers to type up a number of pages on to a
        > blank Excel sheet and then e-mail the part list back to me. I can then
        make
        > up the full list and post it to the group/on our website as a file.
        >
        > If you can help with this task please contact me at my personal e-mail
        > address. I have attached a sample page to show how the pages are
        presented.

        > Regards, Ken Fedzin. Dewsbury, England.

      • Ken Fedzin
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Edward!

          Thanks for your message. I agree entirely with your comments. It's a great buzz to find/discover a family name somewhere on original documents. I had intended to put the originals onto the K-S website as well as the alphabetical list, but I don't know the best way, or how. Does anyone know how I can do this?  I've just e-mailed Stefan, our moderator, to ask for guidance. As soon as I hear how to do it I'll put them on.  I/we can always work on the alphabetical list later.

          Regards, Ken.
          Dewsbury, England.

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
            Hi Zbigniew,

            Thanks for the personal message and the group one. I made the scan's to approx. 125kb for ease of e-mailing. They are mostly quite clear at this resolution. I can increase the resolution to make them even better before posting them, but this, as you know, will increase the file size. If I increase the resolution how will I be able to post them to a folder?  Which folder, where, is there enough capacity?  Suggestions please. I would like to get them out a.s.a.p. The alphabetical list can be worked on later.

            I obtained the list from my cousin Jadwiga Horanin(zd Fedzin) who lives in Bielawa. Her father, my Uncle Michal, somehow managed to keep hold of it after arrival in Poland. According to Jadwiga, her father was "boss" of their truck/wagon. It has been kept in their home and in their possession ever since then. The last three pages of the list, are a list of wagon numbers and the name of the 'nazwisko komend'. I am guessing that this was the person responsible for the particular wagon and the persons in it. There were over 50 wagons with 25 - 30 persons per wagon.

            The names on the list appear to be Jewish and German origin as well as Polish.

            Regards, Ken.
[...]

          • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004

              Ken,

              This is wonderful news about your wonderful discovery of the information and of course that it was your Uncle that had the presence of mind to have a copy and keep it all these years.

              I wonder then who else might have similar treasures in Poland.?

              I’ve tried to read files (7 pages) the Hoover institute Xeroxed for me several months ago. I found it very difficult to read and translate because of the resolution.  It was hard on my eyes and I got headache over it. Ha,ha and  I never get headaches.

              Whatever resolution you choose, I’d suggest the JPG format for the scanned files as this is compression type of format. Unlike BMP which is straight bit mapped and it’s up ten times bigger than JPG.  If you scan them at least at 300dpi (dots per inch) and save them . You can use tools like Photoshop to Open the scanned file, and then do “Save As” in a different format to save space or for  emailing.  Phtoshop will let you do a “save as” at different comprassion ratios for the JPG files from 0 to 12.  12 being the highest resolution.

               I usually keep picture or bit files in two formats, one high resolution for my consumption and for emailing to “some” people “ with limited resources.  If you have high resolution files, then if someone needs a better copy for whatever reason, than you have already it to send.

              As far as posting it on our site , I’ve never done.  Stefan should be able to help you with that. I think you have to have certain administrator site privileges to post things.

              I’m anxious to see if my relatives are on your list.

              Regards

              Zbyszek

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004
                Hi Zbigniew,

                Had a quick look for you,but couldn't spot your names. Stefan replied. I'll be puttine it on the AFO Gallery. Also sending a copy to Irene at the Hoover.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2004

                  Thanks Ken,

                  In 1946 my mom was named Domicela Kolodziej and her sister was married so it would have been Wiktoria Rudel.  They were arriving from Adamovka Orenburg Oblast, right on the Kazakhstan border.  They would have to have rode the train via city of Orenburg (Chkałow in 1946).

                  I’ll be looking forward to seeing that list.

                  This is an awesome find!!

                  Regards

                  Zbyszek

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Zbyszek and fellow Kresy Siberia Members,

                    I see that you wrote to the Hoover Institute and received a reply
                    regarding your relatives.

                    My question is, did you write snail mail or email and what info
                    exactly did you provide them with? I'd like to write to them to see
                    if they have anything from my family and am curious as to the best
                    way to go about doing this.

                    Also, has anyone received a reply recently from the Memorial
                    Society? I wrote snail mail and have nothing yet. I assume it
                    could take 6 month or more. I wrote in english but am wondering if
                    I should followup with an email in english and/or Polish. Any ideas?

                    Thanks in advance,

                    John Ferenc
                    London, Canada

                    --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Zbigniew Bob Styrna"
                    <styrna@t...> wrote:
                    SNIP
                    > Ken,
                    >
                    > I've tried to read files (7 pages) the Hoover institute Xeroxed
                    for me
                    > several months ago. I found it very difficult to read and
                    translate because
                    > of the resolution. It was hard on my eyes and I got headache over
                    it. Ha,ha
                    > and I never get headaches.

                  • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004
                      John,

                      I emailed Hoover institute and got a reply very quickly. I'm emailing you
                      directly because I am not sure Irena wants her personal email distributed to
                      everyone directly. She has been very helpful and responsive. Just email her,
                      maybe tell you got her email from me, and ask for your relative's names. I
                      received several packages from her of photos of my relatives They included
                      Russian release papers from 1941 and my uncle's hand written affidavits of
                      his deportation accounts. I also bought the entire file on the city of
                      Zloczow. A box contained 1996 pages which she copied for me for $66.00

                      Czernichowska, Irena

                      Czernichowska@...

                      I have not written to the Memorial Society yet. Maybe you an let me know if
                      you find out what is the best way or where to write?

                      Regartds

                      Zbyszek

                      Zbyszek and fellow Kresy Siberia Members,

                      I see that you wrote to the Hoover Institute and received a reply
                      regarding your relatives.

                      My question is, did you write snail mail or email and what info
                      exactly did you provide them with? I'd like to write to them to see
                      if they have anything from my family and am curious as to the best
                      way to go about doing this.

                      Also, has anyone received a reply recently from the Memorial
                      Society? I wrote snail mail and have nothing yet. I assume it
                      could take 6 month or more. I wrote in english but am wondering if
                      I should followup with an email in english and/or Polish. Any ideas?

                      Thanks in advance,

                      John Ferenc
                      London, Canada

                      --- In Kresy-Siberia@yahoogroups.com, "Zbigniew Bob Styrna"
                      <styrna@t...> wrote:
                      SNIP
                      > Ken,
                      >
                      > I've tried to read files (7 pages) the Hoover institute Xeroxed
                      for me
                      > several months ago. I found it very difficult to read and
                      translate because
                      > of the resolution. It was hard on my eyes and I got headache over
                      it. Ha,ha
                      > and I never get headaches.

                    • Ken Fedzin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004
                        Hi John and others,

                        For info; I wrote to the Memorial Society on 10 Dec. 2003 and heard nothing. Last week I sent an e-mail asking if they could confirm they had received my letter and asking if it was being dealt with. Mr Gur'yanov replied and said they did recieve it and that investigations were being made. Each request means a number of lines of enquiry for him. I was asked to be patient and expect to wait a few months more.

                        Irene at the Hoover has no problem with people e-maling her. Indeed the e-mail address is given on the AFO website in Reasearch Sources.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004

                          Thanks Ken,

                          How and where does one exactly apply to the Memorial society:

                          Name:?

                          Mail address?

                          Email address?

                          Regards

                          Zbyszek

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 3, 2004
                            Hello Zbyszek,

                            Try here for Memorial Society and many other research links:

                            "Polish Committee of the 'Memorial' Society

                            Alexander Gur'yanov
                            103051 Moscow
                            Malyi Karetnyi Pereulok 12.
                            Russia.
                            Email:
                            gurpolcom@...

                            Send an e-mail to seek family records of arrested or deported Poles in the 'Memorial' database.

                            To obtain a certificate from the former USSR archives, you must send an original signed letter. Please include the following data (if possible):

                            1. Surname, name, and father's name of arrested or deported person, the year and place of birth (for all the members of deported family, with indication of the family relationship)
                            2. Place of living before arrest or deportation
                            3. The time of arrest or deportation
                            4. The kind of repression (arrest, sentence and imprisonment in penal labour camps, or deportation without any sentence)
                            5. The most important for us: the regions of staying in camps or in exile in the former USSR (especially the last place)
                            6. The time and place of discharge or death
                            7. The relationship of the person making the request to the arrested or deported person."

                            Cordially,

                            Halina
                            Los Angeles, USA

                            Zbigniew Bob Styrna <styrna@...> wrote:

                            Thanks Ken,

                            How and where does one exactly apply to the Memorial society:

                          • Andy Golebiowski
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 4, 2004
                              A short while ago I did a translation of papers an individual had
                              obtained from the Hoover Institution.

                              The papers were questionaires (ankiety) filled out by his father and
                              grandfather.

                              If anyone has such a need, I am available.

                              Andy Golebiowski
                              Polish-English Translator
                              Buffalo, New York
                              USA

                              ******
                              > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                              > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the Polish
                              citizens
                              > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World War
                              Two."

                              http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/gallery/
                              > Film and info : http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                              > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
                              > Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

                            • Stephen Wierzbicki
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 5, 2004
                                Hi John,
                                I wrote to the Memorial Society and other AK
                                organisations back in early Jan 04. I managed to get a
                                contact in Warsaw to translate my letters for me
                                however, I have not recieved a reply from the Memorial
                                Society yet. They did say that it would take a long
                                time. I have received replies from some of the AK
                                addresses but only to say that they do not have any
                                information for me.
                                The only issue with having written to these
                                organisations in Polish is that they think that I can
                                write and understand Polish which, sadly, I can not.
                                So all replies have been hastily copied to this board
                                for members to help translate!
                                Good Luck

                                Stephen Wierzbicki
                                Bristol, UK
                                > From: John Ferenc
                                Also, has anyone received a reply recently from the
                                > Memorial
                                > Society? I wrote snail mail and have nothing yet.
                                > I assume it
                                > could take 6 month or more. I wrote in english but
                                > am wondering if
                                > I should followup with an email in english and/or
                                > Polish. Any ideas

                                =====
                                Stephen Wierzbicki

                              • ken_fedzin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 16, 2004
                                  Hi Group,

                                  Some members of the group are probably either waiting for a reply
                                  from the Memorial Society, or about to write to them. I know that
                                  members of the group have received pages of excellent, detailed
                                  information about deported family members. I recently received a
                                  reply after waiting for a number of months. Unfortunately, the reply
                                  I received was somewhat disappointing after hearing so much about the
                                  wealth of information that they could un-cover. So I would just like
                                  to remind members not to build up their hopes and expect too much.
                                  It's really 'pot-luck' as to whether or not the records survived.

                                  I received a copy of a letter, in Russian, from Barnaul in the Altaj
                                  region (to where the family were deported)addressed to the Memorial
                                  Soc.. Although the letter gave the names and years of birth of family
                                  members, there were no details about the place where they were
                                  detained, when and where arrested etc, etc.

                                  There was also a letter of explanation, in Polish, from the Memorial
                                  Society.
                                  As a matter of interest I give extracts from the letter from the
                                  Memorial Soc. ....

                                  father, Jan Fedzin, along with his family, we received the enclosed
                                  archival certificate issued by the Centre of Information of the
                                  Office of Internal Affairs of the Altaj region. In the archives of
                                  the Altaj region the lists of personal dossiers of Polish deportees
                                  has been retained. However, the dossiers themselves were destroyed in
                                  the 1950's and in those the files of the deported Fedzin family No.
                                  4436. The list of the dossiers contains information that the files of
                                  the Fedzin family were established through the regional department of
                                  the NKWD in Czortkow on 29th December 1939, details of the members of
                                  the family, 'nature of crime' - administrative deportees(special
                                  settlers), and also details about amnesty".....

                                  The letter concludes..."Being citizens of the country which has been
                                  guilty against Poland and Polish people, we are asking you to accept
                                  expressions of condolence for the suffering and wrong-doing
                                  experienced by your father, Jan Fedzin, and all repressed members of
                                  the Fedzin family.

                                  With respect,
                                  Olga Czerepova
                                  Member of the Polish Commission"

                                  Regards, Ken Fedzin. Dewsbury, England.
                                • Cindy Benson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 17, 2004

                                    Good day to everyone on the list.

                                    I have been reading all the postings with great interest.  I thought I would at this time enlist the help of this wonderful group.

                                    My great-grandfather’s brother was killed by the Russians in Katyn and the family would like very much to find out if there are surviving relatives and/or decendants.  My great-grandfather was the only one to come to Canada and any information on the rest of his family died with him.  We only know his brother, Jan Malcharek, fought in WW2 and possibly also WW1, and that their father, Julian Malcharek, was supposedly a general in the army.  We have absolutely no documentation or anything else to help with our search.  I only have one picture of Jan, which shows him his uniform and 2 medals on his chest.  It’s a very faded picture. I posted it on a website, and wondered if anyone can tell me what medals he is wearing, and if his uniform is familiar?

                                    http://www.geocities.com/cinderelly_b/janmalcharek.html

                                    The only other information I have is Jan’s birthdate and place, which was September 9, 1879 in Bazar, Chortkow, Tarnopol, Galicia.  He also had 2 other brothers, Feliks Malcharek b. May 17, 1884 and Antoni Malcharek b. Dec. 21, 1889 who were also in the military.

                                    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

                                    Cindy Benson

                                    Montreal, Canada

                                    cindy.benson@...

                                    ---
                                    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                    ---
                                    Cindy Benson assures that all her outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

                                  • Zbigniew Bob Styrna
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 17, 2004

                                      Cindy,

                                      Here is an old Polish map of Bazar just south- west of powiat Chortkow, woj. Tarnopol. It is way south of Tarnopol. Even though you say Galicia, this area has been o-ld Ancestral Polish lands for many centuries.

                                      In 1884 when your grandfather was born, this region, Galicia was occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Empire so peole had to put down either Galicja or Hungary on their birth certificates.  My ancestors did too.

                                      Because of Russia’s during and after WWII ……,   it now belongs to Ukraine now.

                                      Zbyszek

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                                        Cindy:

                                        Can't be sure what the medals are, but take a look at...

                                        http://home.golden.net/~medals/polish.html

                                        You may be able to work it out.

                                        Michael Kulik
                                        England.

                                        ******
                                        > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                                        > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the Polish
                                        citizens
                                        > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World War
                                        Two."

                                        > Gallery (photos, documents) :
                                        http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/gallery/
                                        > Film and info : http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                                        > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
                                        > Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                        ******

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        > click here

                                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r8qpd2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.300117
                                        6/D=gr

                                        oups/S=1705444571:HM/EXP=1095539861/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http:
                                        //www.
                                        > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>
                                        >

                                        > _____
                                        >
                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                                        of

                                        > ---
                                        >

                                        > ---
                                        > Cindy Benson assures that all her outgoing mail is certified Virus
                                        Free.
                                      • Paul Havers
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                                          Cindy

                                          From the uniform I'd say its Austrio Hungarian, hence the medals will be the same, contact this chap who will be able to help
                                          glenn.jewison@...
                                          send him the photo as well so that he can have a decent look, no promises but its worth a try
                                          with the photo being black & white its difficult to see the ribbon and that makes a hell of a difference.

                                          the medals could be

                                          Long Service Crosses for Non Commissioned Officers
                                          The Military order of Maria Theresa

                                          Paul

                                          ******
                                          > KRESY-SIBERIA GROUP = RESEARCH REMEMBRANCE RECOGNITION
                                          > "Dedicated to researching, remembering and recognising the Polish
                                          citizens
                                          > deported, enslaved and killed by the Soviet Union during World War
                                          Two."

                                          > Gallery (photos, documents) :
                                          http://www.aforgottenodyssey.com/gallery/
                                          > Film and info : http://www.AForgottenOdyssey.com

                                          > saying who you are and describing your interest in the group to:
                                          > Kresy-Siberia-owner@yahoogroups.com

                                          ******

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          > click here

                                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r8qpd2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.300117
                                          6/D=gr>
                                          oups/S=1705444571:HM/EXP=1095539861/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http:
                                          //www.
                                          > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>
                                          >

                                          >   _____
                                          >
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          > *         To visit your group on the web, go to:
                                          >
                                          > *         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                                          > *         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                                          of

                                          > ---
                                          >

                                          > ---
                                          > Cindy Benson assures that all her outgoing mail is certified Virus
                                          Free.

                                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/bTwplB/TM

                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          Home page;   www.paulhavers.co.uk